Vinny

Dune: Land of Sand

"The Fremen have a good idea," replies Thomas. "They are much more likely to gain peaceful entrance than one of us. However, I don't want to spend more time outside of a moisture-sealed area without stillsuits than we have to. Let's all go in, but let our Fremen companions speak first when we arrive."

"Let's go." He leads the way to the waiting transport.

Chaylyn smiles and says, "Depending on where you have to park the carryall, you may want to change your mind about that.

Have you ever seen a worm, Sebastian?"

"Never seen one so I have no idea how big they are, but I am getting the idea. You hear stories throughout the empire but it is hard to know where the truth starts and ends."

Thomas has a depth of knowledge I did not figure on.

"Yes the worms, as they are called in Galach are certainly capable of destroying a spice crawler and a carryall."

"Well seeing how where we are going is 200 miles away we need to park somewhere safe as that is much too far to travel back on foot, especially just for 700 solars. So where is safe from these worms ?"

"There is only one kind of terrain that is safe from worms, rocks. Not just a layer of pebbles on sand but huge rocks that those despicable worms cannot reach you on. The are like the islands of the desert. The only place safe from monsters. I have personally seen worms swallow Crawlers and other vehicles too. It isn't pretty watching the crew try to jump out only to be sucked in by the sand giving way to the worm." Caleb says almost in a daze. He seems to be lost in thought. Thinking about his first time collecting spice. A shiver runs down Caleb's spine as he continues to the truck.

"We have many such sanctuaries out in the desert. A thopter would be a good choice in getting to sanctuary. However we could go by worm which would mean packing a bit lighter."

"My brother suggests a thing that I have only heard legend about. Some Fremen have claimed to be able to ride the worms, but all I have seen tried have ended up as a snack."