Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel

"Big Guy" army in Warlord?

I'm thinking of getting into fantasy gaming. I'm currently considering a number of rules sets including Warlord. I'm thinking of making a force of "Big Guys." Ogres, Trolls, Minotaurs, smaller giants etc.,. Basically anything big and nasty like that. Can this be done with Warlord in a way that works well?

yes it could be done

But (there is always a but) you would also need to include some small guys too

Most of the big guys in Warlord are solo models so you would need to add a leader model and grunts for every "big guy" you wanted.

For example

three troll models would require two sergeants and a captain plus at least 9 grunts

I hope that helps... of course I might be wrong I'm still in the middle of reading the rules.

But I will say so far its a very well thought out game system and I highly commend it :wub: Also Reaper is one of the best companies out there and they truly do support their products and more importantly their customers (which is what made me a die hard support :poke: )

Anyway welcome to the board and I hope you stick around ::D:

that is correct I am sure of it but of course what you can do is have a freelance group then have the crusader lightbringer sgt's with a couple of crappy elf grunts for each solo (you would also need to find some cpt. thats low in points like that might I suggest that you use a cleric or mage cpt )

The lupines have a warlord, shaman, and regular troops. They're pretty big, all on large bases I believe. Add in a solo like a minotar or something and you'll have a decent amount of points. That would be a fun mercenary group to see on the table.

The lupines have a warlord, shaman, and regular troops. They're pretty big, all on large bases I believe. Add in a solo like a minotar or something and you'll have a decent amount of points. That would be a fun mercenary group to see on the table.

The lupines have a captain not a warlord

You could have an army of lupines, but that would only be 1 troop. The Lupine Lord is a Unq Cpt. He is the only leader that I am aware of that is on a large base. A good solo would be the Minotaur. Now you have 2 troops, but it is still a Merc faction.

That's sounds pretty cool. Looks like I'd be able to make it work with mostly big guys. I'd likely want the smaller guys a bit beastial as well. Any chance that it would work with orcs or something like them rather than elves? The Lupines sound great. I'm mostly interested in the miniatures but so far I've heard a lot of praise for Warlord and wouldn't mind getting into an actual fantasy game again.

I'm fine with it being a "merc faction." From the preview booklet, this means that I'll simply be missing out on some faction specific special powers, right? I don't really care too much about winning or not having special powers-- I just want to paint and play with the models I want to get. Though the background story and Egyptian flavour of Nefsokar certainly intrigues me as well. From my understanding, as long as I avoid having both Good and Evil factions together, I can make a monster horde backed up by orcs? Is that right?

The main reason I asked is that I've been totally blown away by a lot of the ogre, troll, giant, lupine, werewolf, etc. releases both on the Warlord and the Dark Heaven side of things and I'm considering starting to get back into painting fantasy miniatures because they're just getting so amazing (I play mostly historicals with some sci-fi/near future stuff).

I've also been totally impressed with the painting section on this board. I'm definitely going to be sticking around just to revamp my painting skills. I play mostly in 20mm and smaller scales, so going back to big guys in 28mm+/heroic/whatever it's called, will probably require a bit of relearning.

Okay, just because I felt like it, I made up a 800 pt army that may intrerest you, without any magical abilites or spells whatever. This uses only units that have already been released, since I dont have the rulebook, only the data cards.

Hordes of the Mountain Lands (800 Point Army)

Troop 1

Varaug the Great. Khakhan (Warlord) - 200 pts

Ombur Skulltooth, Orc Shaman (Cleric) - 56 pts

5 Bull Orc Fighters (Grunts) - 22 pts (110 pts)

4 Bull Orc Archers (Grunts) - 30 pts (120 pts)

Troop 2

Lupine Lord (Captain) - 140 pts

4 Lupine Ragers (Adepts) - 44 pts (176 pts)

Troop 3

Minotaur of the Maze (Monster) - 67 pts

Troop 4

Braug the Ogre (Monster) - 68 pts

Total Point Value: 797 pts

Unfortunately, making a monster themed army is going to be a little expensive money-wise, because of the lupines, but here's my interpretation of your idea. Let me know if I screwed up on something. With spells and all, it may even end up beigna 1000 pt army. You may ahve to add a few more grunts to reach that total however, or mayeb even another troop.

Hope this was interesting at least, Nik

The Lupine section will indeed cost a lot! While I like the idea of Lupines, they're not the top of my list (trolls, minotaurs, etc. are).

Do you have to have a "Warlord"? Can you get by with a lower ranking/points costing guy instead? Or is Varaug a big guy himself? The figure looks cool on the website, but I can't tell how big it is. It's not my top pick for miniatures to paint, but it's certainly not a bad one to put on the list.

I'm likely going to get a copy of rule book and then just buy whatever large guy strikes my fancy for painting. I'll probably get them in batches of 3 or 4 to make painting easier (paint the next miniature while the one I just did is drying). The actual bull orcs are probably what I'm going to get last.

I've heard there are "freelance" rules that would let you use miniatures from the Dark Heaven line easily. Is that the case? If so, I'm definitely spoilt for choice when it comes to what minis to pick for painting and gaming!

What about using small weedy goblins as the grunts to allow me for bigger creatures? Is that a possibility? I'm trying to figure out a way to spend the most possible points on big things because that's what I want to start painting. I'm alright if the army ends up a little one sided and falters without the necessary support that regular joes offer. Monster hordes are supposed to lose :down:

The 800 point army you came up with is definitely in the direction I want to head. I'm always wary of spending 25% of my points on a single model though. 7 (or 8 if Varuag is big) large monsters and 10/11 regular sized guys is definitely the ratio I'm looking for. Is there a way of doing it with less Lupines? Or are the Ragers the only big guys that form groups inside a troops choice?

Nathaniel

A "Freelance" army is one that uses Warlord models from different factions.

There are generic cards with modification options that allow you to use pretty much any model, but they are usually not legal for tournaments and/or official games.

I believe a 100% proxy army of all mercenaries is legal though, so long as you use only the Mercenary datacards.

I dont have the full book, but of the models released as of now, the Lupine Ragers and the Crypt Bats are most likely the two largest troops available. As for Varaug, he's just the Orc warlord, so hes as large as a normal orc. The 200 points are because he is a warlord of the Reven faction, so is one of the main models in the game. You dont have to have a Warlord though, you can just take any other type of commander as long as he is capable of commanding the models and elites in the troop. His stats are pretty awesome though, with 5 MAV, and three melee attacks!

There really isnt too many large monster commanders, since they are mostly solo models (The model type Monster is a solitair by itself, so thats sort of the dilemna we face here). About your question about goblins, there is a goblin sergeant and archers, but the archers are actually 64 points each!

The trolls that are currountly released are River Trolls, and are all solo Monsters, so they wont work, but if your interested in some trolls, those are up for consideration to use as solos. If Beatsmen interest you, theres a sergeant for them, but the beastmen models are not much larger than normal human size. They're pretty beastly though, so they may work their way in. Oh, and by the way, if you want, you can replace the Orc cleric I put in the army for the Lupine Shaman, though he's 91 points while the Orc version is 56.

And the rules for using DH miniatures in your Warlord armies is basically to use the models and use the generic data cards for them. A Freelance company is basically just an army made out of models from more than one faction. Any models you use from the Generic list count as a different faction, thus makign one fo those armies 'Freelance' and getting rid of your faction abilities. I dont think Dark Heaven miniatures are allowed in tourney play, or organized Reaper games as it is termed, but for fun, why not!

Edit: Looks like Frosch beat me to some of the answers. ^_^

I believe a 100% proxy army of all mercenaries is legal though, so long as you use only the Mercenary datacards.

Can anyone give me more info on the "Datacards"? What about people who bought warlord miniatures before they were packaged with such cards? Are the stats for everything in the rulebook or not? Are you hooped if you lose a card? I generally really dislike systems that require seperate cards for each miniature (Confrontation, WotC D&D and Starwars, Warmachine, etc.). I'd much rather simply have the rules in the book and make my own reference sheets for the game.

I dont think Dark Heaven miniatures are allowed in tourney play, or organized Reaper games as it is termed, but for fun, why not!

I generally consider "tournament legal," "official," "sanctioned," etc.,. and the mindset that always requires it a pox on miniature gaming. I definitely will NOT be playing anyone (or in any event) that requires me to only use Warlord figures. The whole point of this is that I want to play games with figures I like. Ofcourse they'll always be accurately represented in the game (and ogre with a big two handed club will be an ogre with a big club and not a cave troll with claws).

So are you required to have a "Warlord" in your army?

About your question about goblins, there is a goblin sergeant and archers, but the archers are actually 64 points each!

Yikes. Expensive little guys. I'm sure there's some barbarian, warrior, orc, etc. that will work well as the little guys for what I'm thinking.

Can anyone give me more info on the "Datacards"?  What about people who bought warlord miniatures before they were packaged with such cards?  Are the stats for everything in the rulebook or not?  Are you hooped if you lose a card?

the data cards are printed in the book. they are also available in the Reaper Online Store for something like a dime each or you have the option to send in Proochases™(proof of purchases) for them. Info on the Proochases™ method is here.

So are you required to have a "Warlord" in your army?

not until your army is a certain size. the leader models are required based on the number of troops you have and such. off hand I don't have the breakdown handy but it was discussed in another thread in the last two weeks.

cher ^_^

the data cards are printed in the book. they are also available in the Reaper Online Store for something like a dime each or you have the option to send in Proochases™(proof of purchases) for them.

Excellent! I can get the cards or not, depending on how convenient they end up being. Also doesn't stop me from picking up used minis or trading in addition to my new purchases.

not until your army is a certain size. the leader models are required based on the number of troops you have and such. off hand I don't have the breakdown handy but it was discussed in another thread in the last two weeks.

A newbie who can seach? Why yes. I found a discussion that starts here:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...ndpost&p=165663

Thanks for the heads up on a previous discussion.

Nathaniel