Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel

"Big Guy" army in Warlord?

the army orginization rules can be found in the Warlord Rulebook on pages 50 and 51, and rules for freelance companies can be found on the following page. For those of you without a rulebook direct your questions to Reaperbryan, or go out and buy a rulebook. :)

I'll check out the Warlord Army builder file and see if I can't take a peak at someone's rulebook some time.

I just spent the last 45 minutes going through the Online Store and added every big guy that struck my fancy to the cart. I've got quite a list of stuff I want to do... 32 big guys at $246. Looks like I'll break it up a bit as that's currently out of my budget for minis! I also took a gander at big guys from other companies and if I went with GW (LOL! yeah right) 32 big guys would cost me $480 USD! That's twice as much for worse figures. EDIT: I just checked the Canadian currency numbers (as that's where I am) and GW Big Guys are $25 CAD! 15 USD converts to 18.80 CAD given the current exchance rate. What the heck is up with that!? So, scratch the earlier number-- it would cost me $638 USD/$799.62 CAD if I went that route! Not bloody likely!

I think I've found the manufacturer and rules set I want to start my fantasy gaming with.

One more "big guy" related question. How are they based? 40mm squares? Is the game dependant on these bases? I've been tempted to go with the round bases with bevelled edges that the Warmachine minaitures come with. Is there a reason not to? Will it impact game play to use 40mm circles instead of 40mm squares?

Nathaniel

Is there a reason not to? Will it impact game play to use 40mm circles instead of 40mm squares?

Nathaniel

yes, since to be into base to base contact with another model, you need to have one of your flat sides touching it. Thatd be pretty hard to accomplish if you didnt in fact have any flat sides.

yes, since to be into base to base contact with another model, you need to have one of your flat sides touching it. Thatd be pretty hard to accomplish if you didnt in fact have any flat sides.

LOL! Quite true. Saves me getting extra bases I suppose. I rather like round bases rather than squares, but I'm alright with either if it'll help the game work better.

Nathaniel

Base them how you like, then just stick them to a square of plastic the correct size when you play - instant officially useable minis that look the way you like when they are not on the tabletop. Best of both worlds!

You know, it just struck me that the issue is not base contact - it's contact with the rear arc.

Whether round or square, you can get 6 bases around a like-sized one. Mark a "center of the back" spot and a spot 60 degrees to either side of it, and you can determine rear arc and rear base contact quite easily.

Darn, now I got myself thinking...

Arghh!!!! Nooo!!!!

Years ago, I assured my high school geometry teacher that he was sadly mistaken - I most certainly never need to use his stuff in real life.

If only I knew now that I was as wise as I knew I was back then...

You know, it just struck me that the issue is not base contact - it's contact with the rear arc.

like I said according to the rule book, page 61 "Valid base-to-base contact is defined as the attacking model having any flat portion of its base in contact with any portion of an enem model's base." Theres also a nice diagram of what would be considered valid and what would not. Now anyone is welcome to put their models on any base they want, as long as their opponents are ok with it and can come to an agreement on how they want base to base to work on their bases, but they certainly wouldnt be strictly speaking tournament legal. Hopefully Reaperbryan or ReaperMatt will give exact clarification on the rules for you guys, since they know exactly what the rules are and how the apply to any given situation.

In an "Official Reaper Sanctioned Event" all models must have legal bases. Back during the first round of Beta testing, we tried the rules with round bases. The impact was pretty big. It plays totally different with round bases because the base-to base contact rules are right out the window.

Now in a friendly game you can fake it with round bases, just assuming the base is square and playing accordingly. Thsi however only works if your whole group is laid back. It only takes one "base-to-base contact lawyer to screw up a whole game. :lol:

Personally, I've never really gotten the dislike of square bases, myself. I think they look just fine.

Just adding my two cents worth - if you like playing "Big Guys", why not do Reven? They have the Beastmen Woodcutters and thier Leader plus some Ogres and Trolls. If you don't mind giving up your Faction abilities, you could go Freelance and use a couple Merc units like the aformentioned Lupines and Minotaur.

If you want a troop with maximum Big Guy power, you might take Narg Bloodtusk with at least four grunts and Yargun Oog, Ogre Magi. Then take Urga, Beastman Bogul with a nice troup of Beastmen. Finish off your unit with two Trolls.

The Warlord Orcs don't exactly look like "little guys" either, IMO. So that's a vote for Reven. The Reptus don't even HAVE any regular-sized guys yet, just freakin' enormous lizards!

Thanks for all the excellent replies! I'm likely going to do a Reven faction with extra big guys that strike my fancy. I also really like the Egyptian feel of the Nefsokar and will definitely be picking up a starter set of those guys some time.

I'm not sure how I'll end up basing them. I may go for the circles and add squares to the bottoms when they're needed. Or I might just go for squares. I'll figure that out later.

Thanks everyone for the informative replies! Now all I need to do is get my hands on a copy of the rules and my first few fantasy miniatures.

It plays totally different with round bases because the base-to base contact rules are right out the window.

Not really. Now, as I said in my earlier post, you need a square base to be legal. But, if you want to use round bases, the mechanics don't change at all - only the implementation. In the following diagram, the lighter color indicates the "rear base side":

round%20bases.jpg

Mechanically, it is identical to square base contact - if you have a dark part touching a light part, you have rear base contact. Arrange them how you want, you can't get more than 6 in contact (2 rear) - sound familiar? It is a moot point, however, as the rules specify square bases. If you want the details on how to do facing and line-of-site with round bases, PM me.

However, the real reason we want to use square bases: for forward-compatibility with Reaper's soon-to-be-announced regimental combat rules ***WishHopePray that just this once, the electronic jedi mind tricks work***

But, to get back on topic with Large-base leaders for a Freelance faction:

Leaders:

Lupine Lord

Crypt Bat Lord

Elites:

Lupine Shaman

Ogre Mage

Soldiers:

Lupine Rager

And too many Solos to list. So, theoretically, you could field a force of 11 big guys, with a points range of 650-775 before upgrades. Too bad the Ragers are Adepts, or you could double the size...