Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel

"Big Guy" army in Warlord?

One of the local guys has some modular bases he uses for HOTTs. Basically his square movement bases are built up with gravel and flock, except for a round area where the figure with a round base goes. This same idea should work well for Warlord, if you feel round bases have too much of an impact on the game.

Hopefully Reaperbryan or ReaperMatt will give exact clarification on the rules for you guys, since they know exactly what the rules are and how the apply to any given situation.

Clarification of the base contact rules shouldn't be necessary - it is crystal clear in the book, as you quoted, and as many threads have talked about.

My comments and illustrations were in responce to the question "is there a mechanics difference between 40mm round bases and 40mm square bases". The answer to which is no - provided everyone is using the round, and is aware that it is a variant of the rules.

I won't pull the thread off topic any longer. Oh, and for the record, you can do a Lupine troop (10 of the furry guys) at 2,783 points if you max the toys. Ranged combat would destroy you, but oh the carnage in melee...assuming you were willing to waive the "warlord required for 1001+ points" rule for the sake of a theme.

However, the real reason we want to use square bases: for forward-compatibility with Reaper's soon-to-be-announced regimental combat rules ***WishHopePray that just this once, the electronic jedi mind tricks work***

Oddly enough, Warlord takes all the good parts and leaves out most of the bad parts from Dark Heaven Apocalypse, Reaper's OOP regimental combat game.

Here's a fun alternative, which is admittedly an unofficial scenario:

http://incompetech.com/splorg/temp/WLDeathmatch.pdf

Army construction rules specifically don't matter for this one, and you only need three models!

I'm running it at Uny-Con in a couple weeks, too, and painting Ogres, Trolls, and Lupines for it.

But, to get back on topic with Large-base leaders for a Freelance faction:

(snip)

Soldiers:

Lupine Rager

And too many Solos to list. So, theoretically, you could field a force of 11 big guys, with a points range of 650-775 before upgrades. Too bad the Ragers are Adepts, or you could double the size...

Interesting. I'm not sure how the rules for the Lupine Rager go, but would it work to straight up substitute various big miniatures for Lupine Ragers? Especially things like big Werewolves, Wereboars, bears, etc? Would the rules make sense?

One of the local guys has some modular bases he uses for HOTTs. Basically his square movement bases are built up with gravel and flock, except for a round area where the figure with a round base goes. This same idea should work well for Warlord, if you feel round bases have too much of an impact on the game.

I actually do something similar for my historical gaming. Each 20mm miniature goes on a 18mm metal disc. The larger square bases have magnetic "sockets" where there is no flock, sand, basing, etc. That way I can play games that use stands and individually based figures without the hassle of rebasing or messing with cheap looking cardboard sabots.

You could always build a generic army and "assign" a Lupine fig with some conversion stuff done a Generic Warlord card.

That could be what I'll end up doing. I'll figure something out. Perhaps my ideas won't survive contact with the actual rulebook and I'll actually want a few more little guys in the army. For now though, I'm getting the figures I want to paint and it's all trolls, ogres, werewolves, giants, etc.

Nathaniel

Lupine Rager (Adept) Mercenary/Neutral - Base size: Large (44 Points)

Damage Track 1 - MA:2, RA:0, Dis:6, MAV:3, RAV:0, DV:10, MD:10

Damage Track 2 - MA:2, RA:0, Dis:3, MAV:2, RAV:0, DV:05, MD:05

Special Abilities: Beast, Bloodlust/2, Tough/1

So they'd work as pretty much any monstrous warrior.

So they'd work as pretty much any monstrous warrior.

Excellent. Thanks for the info!

I'll likely keep them relatively uniform. It wouldn't be good to have a bunch of monsters as lupine ragers and then have similar monsters as individual solo monsters. I'll work out a way to keep it making sense and being totally not confusing. Like only using one type of creature (only werecreatures or only minotaurs or big daemons) for the ragers and not having anything similar as solo monsters).

Nathaniel