• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

**EDIT: Anne posting from Jay's account, not really Jay...**

The word so far:

I've just about finished writing it.

Propaints are indeed what was going to go in it, as we didn't have any idea whether the new paint line would be done in time to go into it. As it stands, I painted the models with all Pro-Paints, so I suspect that'll stick. ::D:

It is more-or-less due to be out in November, from what I understand (and I sure hope I understand, since I wrote it!). ::D:

--Anne

p.s. pics of the models I painted for it should be up in the Painted Gallery sometime soon. ::):

Edited by ladystorm

Heehee I just got the Learn to Paint kit 1 in the mail today ::P:

Still a bit confused on the dry brushing... Flicking? as in tap the brush against the surface? :wacko:

Not quite.

It's more like you do quick swipes of the bristles across the surface of the mini. But you don't put too much pressure on the brush.

You could also think of it as using your brush to lightly dust the mini.

Heehee I just got the Learn to Paint kit 1 in the mail today ::P:

Still a bit confused on the dry brushing... Flicking? as in tap the brush against the surface? :wacko:

If you are learning the basics of painting and you cannot meet any local painters and a LGS, then I strongly recommend these videos.

painting videos

It is such a huge benefit to see someone else paint, especially when you are first learning. I still will learn more from watching someone than I will just reading about it or being told about a technique.

Still I would also try and hook up or start a painting group at a LGS.

Somehow a LTP kit focused on NMM sounds so wrong at so many levels.

Before I'm burnt at a stake, let me clarify.

Reaper is free to do whatever they like with their line of products, but labeling this set as another LTP kind of conveys that NMM is a basic technique (which clearly isn't).

End result, unexperienced painters that pick up this set are likely to be dissapointed when and if the results of their efforst don't look even close to the package picture.

Also, most good NMM effects are achieved by the personal interpretation of the painter, by observing and studying real life objects, so, the paint by numbers approach reeks of laziness.

Before even suggesting an Advanced Painting Kit covering NMM , I'd think a Smooth Blending or Layering guides should be made available, and only then think about tackling NMM.

Just my two cents.

• Reaper User
<snip>

Reaper is free to do whatever they like with their line of products, but labeling this set as another LTP kind of conveys that NMM is a basic technique (which clearly isn't).

End result, unexperienced painters that pick up this set are likely to be dissapointed when and if the results of their efforst don't look even close to the package picture.

Also, most good NMM effects are achieved by the personal interpretation of the painter, by observing and studying real life objects, so, the paint by numbers approach reeks of laziness.

Before even suggesting an Advanced Painting Kit covering NMM , I'd think a Smooth Blending or Layering guides should be made available, and only then think about tackling NMM.

Just my two cents.

Okie, I'm gonna address these points one at a time. :)

1) Though up 'till now the LTPK's have been incredibly basic, the last one did indeed teach layering, and this set expands on it by giving basic ratios for paint consistancies and mixing paint for layered highlights. I wanted to do this paint kit for a very good reason: without a doubt, when I teach or meet new painters, the one thing they all want to learn if they don't already know it is NMM. They don't care if people tell them it's an "advanced" technique; they just want to know how to start doing it. Thus, there is a demand for a kit like this. I feel that NMM in the way I'm teaching it in this kit is the most basic it will ever be--anyone who attends one of my classes can tell you that there are three basic rules that can be applied to all NMM, be it a basic sword or SENMM or even chrome (though that mixes up the rules quite a bit).

2) Beginning painters picking up this set are advised in the guide that layering knowledge is important and are referred to the layering lessons in LTPK 2 or any outside source of their choice, though I do sneak layering info in between the cracks (I was giving a complete recap at first, but unfortunately it took up too much room). I realize that this is a departure from previous LTPK's, but let's face it, people all over are trying NMM before their layering is perfect simply because it's a very popular and publicized technique. At least this way, their blends may not be absolutely perfect, but their highlights and shadows'll be in the right place. ::D:

3) I dunno, since I figured out my three rules it's an odd object indeed that will make me go and have to examine it in real life, and without exception I've found that the three rules still hold up. :;): Calling it lazy is paramount to saying that a friend of mine is lazy because I've handed him all my painting knowledge and he's achieving near-professional results after five or six miniatures (yay for being an anal perfectionist!! :D)--just because he didn't have to go out and stumble blindly through the painting woods alone like so many of us do, does that mean he's lazy? I'd rather call it "lucky"--lucky to have someone to teach him. ::): Same thing here, I see this NMM kit as saving a bunch of people a great deal of discouragement and heartache by at least giving them the right *tools* to go stumbling around in the woods. They won't be stumbling around blind, they'll have a map and supplies; they'll still have to find the path to the Fountain of NMM Godliness on their own, though. I'm not gonna hold the brush for 'em. :;):

4) A smooth layering guide is a great idea, and I'll probably end up working it into another kit, which I'm thinking will be all about thinning paints and paint consistancy--layering, washes, and tinting colors with glazes (so a little bit of color theory thrown in). That would truly be an advanced guide, and would probably feature Master paints...ahhh, all the things I wish I had time to do. We'll see!

Hope this helped illuminate the reasons why I wanted to do this kit, anyhoo...hope to see many of you at the Artists' Conference this coming weekend, where I can demonstrate in person! ::D:

--Anne