Sign in to follow this  
Gus Landt

Tactic: Volley

OK, after many, many readings of how Volley works, I'm still struggling.

Am I right in saying that unless your target AOE is jam packed with enemies, it's gonna be worse than just plain old shooting them directly? I mean, a 1.25" AOE COULD affect 9 standard size models, right? In that case, it would definately be worth it. But if your opponent has his head screwed on right and doesn't cluster his troops, then chances are your 5 dudes making a volley are only gonna be able to hit 2 or 3 guys in their AOE.

The BIG Question: Am I correct in saying that unless there are more troops in your AOE than you have attacks, you're better off just shooting them directly?

Can ya'll explain what I'm missing? :blink:

well one of the best things of volley is it enables you to fire where you cannot see I sugjest you use a hero for your blazer. direct volley is good like you said for taking out more than you could normally.it all depends on your style of play if you would rather dodge and shoot over buildings or would you rather have the enemy have a larger opurtunity of killing you but be more affective?

I think you've figured out the pros and cons for yourself already Gus, a couple other things to keep in mind is an AOE hits everyone in it, so you could possibly hit a few softer targets behind the front line. It also has a longer range than the normal shot, 6". And the elves have a different chart that is much more deadly. But regardless there will be times where its more effective to just do straight shooting, especially if you dont want to bunch your own guys up. I saw a game where 400 points of skeeters were taken out by one 75 point firestorm :)

by the way, when choosing between shooting at dwarven crossbowmen or shooting at valandil with a firestorm and a +2 cp upgrade, choose valandil :)

The BIG Question:  Am I correct in saying that unless there are more troops in your AOE than you have attacks, you're better off just shooting them directly?

Not necessarily. if you don't have line of sight to a target, you can't shoot it without first taking down the front line, but that's not the biggest advantage of volley. The extra 6 inches is what makes it so valuable. Dwarf Piercers 18 inch range may seem short, but that extra 6 inches from volley gives them the much needed extra edge.

And Consider Vale archers with their ranger ability and move of 7. 12 inch deployment zone + 14 inches of movement (ranger & regular) + 30 inch range, + 6 inch from volley + up to 5 inch from volley radius = approximately 67 inches. That's only 5 inches shy of the far edge of the table.

Volley is good.

Edit: But if your targets are within regular shooting range without moving, and you have marksmen, the choice is clear.

As a personal preference I wouldn't use volley unless the archers also had marksmanship, had at least 9 models with volley SA, or they needed the extra 6" to hit the target.

For example: I wouldn't use the Dwarven Piercers for volley attacks... instead I'd use them for sniping

I keep reading the rules/mechanics for volley ranged attacks and I'm about to pull out what little hair I have left on my head. I see some of the perks to using it, but I don't see WHY anyone would use it.

As per the examples on page 65...

... The troop with 6 ranged attacks has an AoE of 1.25 inches. AT BEST, assuming everything in the universe lines up, the biggest number of models within that template is 5. Realisticly there'd only be about 3 models affected. So, assuming there were only 3 models under that 1.25 inch AoE, how many dice are rolled against these targets? Is it only 1 dice per affected model (3), or 1 dice per # of ranged attacks (6) distributed amongst the targets?

Be prepared. Depending on the answer I've got follow up questions.

You get 1 roll per model in the Volley's Area of Effect. So '3' in your example.

You would take the worst RAV of all the attacks in your volley, and roll to hit each model in the AOE using that RAV.

And that is precisely why I don't see WHY someone would use volley. Why would someone give up all the extra attacks? Sure, you gain 6 inches but rolling more dice (and potentially at higher value) is WAY better.

I should make a distinction between DIRECT and INDIRECT volley though.

Direct volley it seems to me not worth it unless you absolutely thought you needed that extra 6 inches to hit.

Indirect volley is great because it takes a non LOS situation into potential kills (assuming blazer involved).

NEW QUESTION...

Is "in-line" formation actually necessary during an Indirect Volley?

The use I've made of direct volley is this:

When you do a direct volley, only the center point for the AOE needs to be in LOS. So, when you've got a Leader type model hiding behind a grunt, you can volley the grunt and the AOE will hit the leader. Since that is the only way to hit the leader, it can be worth it.

I actually started this same thread a month and a half ago. :-)

Read it here

It all depends on yer situtation yer in

If you need the extra 6" or need to catch a hidden model (like a captain hiding behind a picket line of grunts) then volley is yer best friend

If yer being rushed by a horde then pick 'em off seperately.

Also if you angle yer shot well enough you can get more then a 6" range bonus. For example, a full elven archer troop with Selwyn and Cearwynn could hit a model 41" away with the base 30", the bonus 6" and the 5" AoE :devil:

Trust me, volleys are anything but weak. It's all in how you use them.

Now if you have LOS to the whole formation and more archers firing than you have targets, then yes using Volley isn't your best option. Volley is a tactical option, and when used at the proper times, can be devestating.

It's all a matter of which offers better options. Sometimes, players bunch their forces up, terrain forces models close, things like that. This gives you an option to bury an opposing force. The best usage, as has been stated, is with a large troop of archers with Marksman. It's no different than when to cast a fireball spell.

I don't think volley is meant to be all that powerful. It is simply an option some troops will have access to. In my book, the extra 6 inches is nothing to sneeze at, and enough of an incentive to have the minimum 5 needed for a volley. After that, I'd always prefer to spread out my archers so they are not caught in an AoE and use marksmen when and where I can.

Well, a force big enough to allow for 20 ranged attacks is too many archers to be practical for most games. It doesn't leave you many (if any) points to spend on fighters, and without melee support, archers don't last long. Especially since using the Marksman ability requires them to stay put, not just move-shoot, move-shoot, which given the speed of Elven Archers would normally keep them outside the range of most opponents.

Four or so archers, with or without Caerwyn (depending on the point size of the game), plus melee and perhaps magical support can be pretty nasty.