Sign in to follow this  
Lord Baasen

REAL Archers

Neek + 19 Goblin Skeeters.

Yes folks that is 38 shots for a volley.

Sure the troop cost 1,270pts, but I bet it's worth every prettty, pretty, penny.

Would his Lordship care for some wine with that cheese? :poke:

Neek. Is that Papa Smerf's real name? Paint'em blue and show their real colors. I don't care what their ststs are, I hate seeing something that silly on a Warlord gameboard. Must make house rule to ban Goblin Smerfs!

ReaperBryan seems very confident of the rules NOT cracking under this pressure.

I suggest you try it and report back. I *always* suggest that. And, if ONE 75 point firestorm kills NINE of them, maybe TWO could kill EIGHTEEN of them..... how does morale work in Warlord? 'Cause unless they're unbreakable DeathGoblins, most games with any morale rules at all would see those smurfs broken beyond any hope of rallying, maybe even after the first firestorm if you were unlucky. Oh look, 1000+ points of pure cowardice, scarpering off the table..... :rock:

My money's on someone having stumbled over this tactic in playtesting by accident, let alone when trying to stress-test the game "Meh, I dont want to think today. I'll just have some goblins... and this goblin leader guy here.... ooOOOooo :)"

that 18" range on a firestorm has to get into the 30 or 24" range of the archers first brian. not to many mages I know are willing to risk being target practice.

that 18" range on a firestorm has to get into the 30 or 24" range of the archers first brian. not to many mages I know are willing to risk being target practice.

It happened in a Game at the asylum 2 Saturdays ago . . . The Crusader player (Darryl) used his grunts as cover for Valandil - deployment was close enough that the Goblins only got 1 shot off - and they shot at the Dwarves (EFKelley) - ignoring the somewhat mroe distant crusaders. Lets just say that the Reven Player (TheBachelor) learned quickly to respect the Mage.

But now mentioning this strategy, players will be sure to turn all their archer might to turning the mages into bloody porcupines.

Personally, I'd use Skeeters with Bull Orc Archers. Because of the Small ability of the Skeeters, they could be ranked in front of the Bull Orcs, allowing more of the shooters to see what they are shooting at.

Of course, ranking them like that if there's a Fireball or Firestorm on the board would just lead to more toasty goodness.

Reading this thread has increased my percieved "cool factor" of the game. I love the idea of a block of orc and gobin archers getting ripped to shreds by a fireball! Little burnt goblin bits and orc chunks landing all over the place :lol:

It's nice to see that as soon as someone suggests something they might think is unbalanced, there's a response tactic already suggested.

Slightly unrelated question: Does Warlord have cavalry? Will it ever? They were sometimes good at riding down archers. Is there any other fast unit that would counter an archer horde well?

Slightly unrelated question: Does Warlord have cavalry? Will it ever? They were sometimes good at riding down archers. Is there any other fast unit that would counter an archer horde well?

Flyers (Griffons, Eagles, Gargoyles, Succubus, Crypt Bats, Angels, etc.) move fast and could probably do a mess o' damamge to some archers. The Crypt Bats are Adepts, so a whole troop of them could fly in and devastate someone's ranged attempts . . .

I've think about the goblin archer issue and it seems to me a troop of 19 goblin still would not be good enough to take on a group of 10 elven archers (36" and a 5" area of effect) I'd still would have enough point for a elven speed bump (aka Vale guard) :devil:

The Crypt Bats are Adepts, so a whole troop of them could fly in and devastate someone's ranged attempts . . .

Still haven't gotten my copy of the rules, so forgive this ignorant question. What is an adept?

I like the idea of flyers. There are some nice flyin' miniatures at that. What faction are the griffons and flying eagles for? Do the Nefsokar have any fliers? What about the Reven?

Gotta get the book!! :wacko::wacko:

Nathaniel