Proxie Hell

FreeFall

The most asked question I have from new Warlord players? Can I use my DHL Figures?

I know we have said many times yes, unless the model is not released or in unofficial games, but I just had an interesting thought posed to me. I have a player who wants to buy the Warlord models, but also use DHL models to add more variety to his force. This makes sense to me, especially with only 3 types of grunts out there currently. The big question though was on Sgts. There are many leaders that are non-unique, but having 3 of the same model looks wierd. So what is the official word from the Reaper ninjas on this scenario:

I have 3 troops, all led by Corvus the Overlord Sgt. I want to use the Corvus model for one troop, then a Mengu and a Blackguard model for the others. Would this fly in an "Official Reaper Spnonsored Tournament"?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I look at it, if the miniature is the right thing (eg. "elf" "troll" "human sergeant") has the right equipment and is mounted on the right base, there should be no reason not to allow it in a friendly game and if it's also Reaper made, it should be allowed in a Tournament. This distinction between Dark Heaven and Warlord and the whole "until the actual miniature is released" thing is a bit ridiculous.

I'm going into this game with my eyes open though. I'm generally not interested in tournament play. If I was, this would likely be a deal breaker for me:

Official Organizer Guy: "I'm sorry you can't use those in the tournament, they're not legal figures."

Me: "But they're all exactly what they are-- the elves with swords are elves with swords. The guys with bows are elves with bows? What's the problem?"

OOG: "Those are part of the Dark Heaven miniature line. You have to use Warlord miniatures only."

Me: "Who makes the Dark Heaven miniature line?"

OOG: "Reaper"

Me: "Who sold me the square bases to make them compatible with Warlord?"

OOG: "Reaper"

Me: "Who makes the Warlord line?"

OOG:"Reaper"

Me: "So you're telling me that I can't use the figures that you sold me on the bases you sold me so they'd work with the game in the tournament you're running just because they came in different packaging!?!"

OOG: "That's right. Sorry."

Me: "That's the end of my Reaper gaming-- who wants to play games by a company who treats you like that and won't let you use their own figures in their tournements?!"

---

Fortunately I don't care about tournaments. This policy may turn off a good number of people I know who do care.

Nathaniel

Something ReaperMatt posted in another thread

'Eventually all DHL figs will have official Warlord stats. But as with anything, we don't want to do it half-heartedly (not my normal word for that kind of stuff but the filter would have caught the other) so we're going to keep it under our hat until it gets a little closer to time. '

a) If the event organizer doesn't care, then it doesn't matter. This is the default.

b) If the event organizer organized a tournament that was advertised as Warlord figures only, then it's Warlord figures only. If there is a Warlord version of the Model available then there are no exeptions, no proxies (that's part and parcel with calling it a Warlord figures only event).

The line is drawn by the release calendar. If there is no Warlord version of the Model available then there may be substitutions from Dark Heaven until the Warlord version is released so that a player's army list isn't crippled by virtue of there not being a needed figure for the needed role (for example, Mossbeard the Treeman).

So why would an event organizer do that? To prevent confusion. (One blister package, one data card, pretty easy to keep track of. Using the Corvus Card? Then use the Corvus Model. It's a Warlord event? Then Warlord Models should probably be used.)

"Official Reaper Sponsored Tournaments" take place only at GenCon or Origins at this time (and even then it's only one or two "banner" events for the entire weekend that have a prize at the end of it). If you don't want the prize or don't want to abide by the rules in order to compete for that prize, don't play.

For me personally, I'd expect to see at least a month to two months after a figure's release to prime and paint and ready it for a tourney but if an event organizer wants to be more strict, then that's their call to make.

Expect a two month leeway after a Model's official release to be the standard for the above mentioned Origins/GenCon big-prize events. So if Origins begins on June 24, then only figures released before April 24th would need to be in the lists. Proxies would be fine for anthing released on or after April 24th for the Origins big games. Likewise if GenCon Indy is August 19th, then anything released after June 19th would be alright if it was a proxy.

• Reaper User

well the corvus issues fairly easy imo ill have two of them myself, im just going to change the head and weapons somewhat on one of them to make it unique yet still recognizable and corvus. simple home done conversions can go a suprising length to make a miniature look different, another example im using black legionarres and black sphynx as my overlord warriors for now, and will be using weapon packs to swap out there 1handed weapons and making simple hand repositions and such as well as possibly removing some helmets for uncovered heads to create definition and difference while still leaving them as a recognizable and similar. just a few options for adding definition to armys for official games. also while on the subject ill be using black legionarres and weapon pack crossbows to make my xbowmen till they are released as well, cant wait to see what the actual overlords will look like and convert them too :upside:^_^

Expect a two month leeway after a Model's official release to be the standard for the above mentioned Origins/GenCon big-prize events. So if Origins begins on June 24, then only figures released before April 24th would need to be in the lists.

That makes a bit more sense. I was also unaware that it was only a Gencon/Origins thing for now. I was under the impression that most of the demo-games at store run by BLs would be "warlord-only" games and that a spirit of "tournament legal" anal retentiveness would sweep across the land!

As long as it stays out of my friendly games, organizers can do whatever they want for their events. I just can't stand it when people insist that their friendly games be even more stringent than a tourney. It's like a mindset settles in and every friendly game becomes tournament practice. No thanks!

I remember seeing people post pictures of figures for use in another game and the first batch of comments by people where not about the highlighting or the shading or the cool base but how it's an illegal figure. No one likes to show something to someone else and the very first reaction is "you can't do that!"

Anyway, back on topic. Friendly games: If the models used aren't proxies but are actually the right race, equipment, base size, etc., great! I don't care what line they're from. Tournaments: As per the organizer's preference. I'd like to see them open to DHL figures as long as they are direct correlations (elf archer = elf archer kind of thing).

'Eventually all DHL figs will have official Warlord stats. But as with anything, we don't want to do it half-heartedly (not my normal word for that kind of stuff but the filter would have caught the other) so we're going to keep it under our hat until it gets a little closer to time. '

Very Cool! That's the type of thing I want to hear. That's a huge job given how extensive the range is! Nice to hear you guys want to do things wholeassed rather than halfassed. ::o::lol::lol:

Here's my issue and my solution.

Simply put I hate the Crusader grunt sculpts. Gerard is great. Valandil is okay. The Angel is amazing. The grunts however, I just can't stand them.

The Knight Templar mini's though, I love those.

I'm not so competitive that I'm going to spend hours painting mini's I hate for an army I don't hate just so I can win a prize. If I go somewhere and there's a Warlord event that's Warlord mini's only, I simply won't play. I'm not going to be mad about it nor am I going to whine and beg to be let to play.

As a Black Lightning if Reaper says "official" games are Warlord mini's only, fine. Their game, their rules. And I'm compelled by my association with Reaper to enforce that rule.

But the bottom line for me is this; I'm going to have a Crusader army that has DH mini's in it. If someone doesn't want to play me because of that? Okay, again I won't be bent or mad. There's always my Necropolis army or my soon to be begun elven army.

The crux of gaming is really to go socially interact with your friends and acquaintances, maybe show off something you're proud of and of course, kick their butts. ::D: I refuse to get bogged down in rules-lawyering or debates over inconsequential points.

So, if an event says Warlord only, it's Warlord only. If you get together with your friends and no one really cares what mini's you put down, that's great too. ::):

Thus endeth the boring rant that went nowhere... :huh: