Looking for a recipe

Enchantra

Alright I've been searching on Google and this stuff must exist someplace.

Last night over a fried fish dinner at a local restaraunt, Dad mentioned when he was in the Navy and stationed out of Virginia more than 30 years ago that he visited several restaraunts in the area that served a red tartar sauce that was not spicy and not to sweet. He said he would love to get ahold of the recipe because he doesn't like the regular tartar sauce that is made with mayonaise.

So, anyone know of the sauce I am talking about? I thought it was a version of a cocktail sauce but Dad said it wasn't.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a recipe with chipotle peppers..but I'd suspect it'd be spicy.. though it sounds aweful tasty to me.

3/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons minced red onion

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chilies*

1 tablespoon drained capers

I assume this sauce would appear pinkish (like Thousand Island dressing) when prepared.

Do you recall if the sauce was mayonnaise-based at all?

Thanks Spike! ::D: Dad cannot have hot stuff like that though. He said though that this sauce had no hot stuff in it so I'm a hair puzzled because every recipe for something "red" I come across has peppers in it.

I don't believe the sauce was mayonaise based, almost sounds like perhaps tomato based. I asked Dad and he says he cannot remember if it was tomato or mayonaise based. But now he says it was slightly sweet. :blink:

I think perhapse your dad had some kind of homemade or locally made cocktail type sauce that they called something else just for kicks...thats what it sounds like to me.

That's what I'm believing too Fuzzy, that it was Cocktail sauce, but he swears up and down it was a red tartar sauce and it was good on fried fish. He hates regular cocktail sauce and tartar sauce like you find in the jars in the store.

Was it an asian restaurant?

There is a famous cantonese recipe for this sweet, but not too sweet tomato sauce that goes great with fried fish and you wouldn't know it was tomato.

I'm trying to dig up the recipe I was given for it a couple years ago. It's delicious. ::D:

Was it an asian restaurant?

There is a famous cantonese recipe for this sweet, but not too sweet tomato sauce that goes great with fried fish and you wouldn't know it was tomato.

I'm trying to dig up the recipe I was given for it a couple years ago. It's delicious. ::D:

I have no idea if it was an Asian restaurant but anything is possible. I would like to see the recipe if you can find it. Thanks! ::D:

I'm not a fan of Tartar sauce but if I were to make such a thing as a red tartar sauce I'd do the following:

Mayo (1-1.25 cups)

1 large Sweat Pickle (finely diced)

1 tbsp parsley

1.5-2 tbsp mild picante'

1 tsp prepared (cooking) mustard

Mix well. Store refridgerated/covered immediately.

My Mom used to make a red sauce that was horshradish and Ketchup that might also fit the bill. Tasty but not overly hot. Was their relish in it?

LT

Dad is allergic to Horseradish and cannot have large amounts of it. If it does have horseradish in it, a little bit won't hurt him. He just uses it sparingly. I have no idea if there was relish in it. My Father is not good at giving out details.

Steve is like the recipe-detective. When we were newlyweds and money was tight, we would still sometimes treat ourselves to a nice dinner-out, but Steve would try to guess what all was in his favourite recipes (like the cheese-biscuits at Red Lobster and the stuffed mushrooms at Olive Garden), and then he'd try to duplicate them at home.

No kidding.. he's an awesome cook and has a sensative palate. If not for being more partial to scotch, he'd be a heck of a wine-taster.

So.. what you do is send he and me a pair of plane tickets (he'd SURELY not leave me behind) so we could go to Virginia and sample the stuff..and we'd get you that recipe.

Meanwhile... is it possible he had tomato aspic?

*bookmarks that link*

If I had the money for the plane tickets I would fly there myself and pay for a recipe from the Restaraunts. ::P:::D:

It could have been tomato aspic, but Dad very plainy says it is a sauce he could put on fried fish that was spreadable and creamy to a point. The aspic appears to be molded. Hey, he isn't good on giving the details I need for research.

Of course Dad's memory leaves much to be desired at times.