Finishing off a model w/ Tough SA

Super Jag

Let's say my 3 models (X,Y,Z) are attacking opponent (A) who had Tough special ability...

My first model X manages to exceed the total damage tracks that opponent A can withstand. Because Y & Z declared attacks, their attacks are just lost, right? Or, do their remaining attacks somehow have a chance in this same action phase to "coup de grace" opponent A since my first model "stunned" him?

I think I know the answer... just want some verification.

I'm thinking that A is just stunned and in a subsequent phase X,Y or Z could just loot & coup de grace him and then move elsewhere.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming XYZ are in the same troop, you are correct - all damage is resolved simultaneously, with the exception of First Strike.

However, if they do the damage as their first action, their second action could be a Loot (which, as a freebie, includes a Coup de Grace).

However, if they do the damage as their first action, their second action could be a Loot (which, as a freebie, includes a Coup de Grace).

Aha!!! I'm glad you mentioned that because it brings to mind the possibility that a model(s) could in some way finish off a stunned opponent during the same phase.

Also, apparently a model could loot/coup de grace during it's first action (because it's technically a non-combat action) and then use it's second action to engage another model in combat... correct???

If you suspected that this would happen, would it be leagal to declair that only 2 are attacking and the third will loot if possible?

Well Airhead, this is obviously not official, but if you "declared" it then I don't see why not. If the target model didn't get stunned by the time you got around to the looter then it stands to reason you've lost that action but were still a legitimate defensive strike target because of the base to base proximity.

Yes, but the third model would be giving a +1 support bonus to his friends. and would have been a defensive strike target anyway.

But granted it would be good tactics to defensive strike the one not declaired in combat to prevent him from CdG'ing.

Yes indeed... makes for some interestingly flexible tactics.

To take it a bit further, since that "waiting for the opportunity to coup de grace" would have been that model's FIRST action (a non-combat action), could he then use his SECOND action to make it's combat action still?

If you start out in base to base contact you would need to use your combat action at the same time that other combat actions are being resolved for that troop.

"It is important to remember that all models in a troop performing the same combat action must perform their combat actions at the same time." pg 57

If you start out in base to base contact you would need to use your combat action at the same time...

It doesn't matter if you start in bas-to-base or not; when one melees, they all melee, if that is what you want them to do.

For example, with a troop of four, one (model 1) starts in base-to-base:

1: attack, loot

2: move, attack

3: move, move

4: shoot, move

You could end up with 4 models clustered around the spot that used to contain an enemy Tough figure.

XX = not doing anything at this moment

MA = close combat attack

RA = ranged combat attack

MM = movement

LT = loot

The sequence would go:

1: XX XX XX MA LT

2: XX XX MM MA XX

3: XX MM MM XX XX

4: RA XX MM XX XX

Looking at the vertical alignment, all like Combat Actions happen at the same time, so the "same time" requirements of p. 57 are met.

since that "waiting for the opportunity to coup de grace" would have been that model's FIRST action

"waiting" is not an available action, and intent to do something later is not required.

yes, you do not have to declare you are waiting for a chance to coup de grace, you're just passing on your chance to participate in melee combat since you need to declare all your melee attacks before any of them are resolved. So the other guy will coup de grace or not depeding on opportunity.