Defensive Magic?

Super Jag

Obviously when the mage/cleric is DIRECTLY attacked by magic it potentially can perform defensive magic.

What about when the mage/cleric was an INDIRECT target (within the template) of a magical attack? Can it still perform defensive magic?

Also, please verify for me that defensive magic could NOT be performed by the mage/cleric when he is NOT in any way affected by a spell (i.e.: magical retaliation when his own friendly troops are affected by magic).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is this, and I believe Matt has posted a corroboration:

If the spellcaster is affected at all (direct target, in AOE, etc) by the spell, he can cast Dispell as defensive magic, and nullify the WHOLE spell if he succeeds. If he is not the direct or indirect target of the spell, he cannot cast defensive magic.

And with this, we have our first need for errata, as opposed to clarification.

Matt answered the area effect part here.

It is not stated anywhere in the rules that the defender must be effected by the spell (like it does for Defensive Shot). We have assumed the caster must be targeted, but something being intuitive doesn't make it right...or wrong.

Okay then... is Matt saying that an affected mage/cleric (directly or indirectly) can ONLY PERFORM a DISPEL spell?

Would definitely like some clarification on whether defensive magic MUST be a "defensive" spell (e.g.: Dispel)

-AND/OR-

Can a defensive magic spell be an "offensive" spell? (e.g.: Bolt)

In the description of a spell it will note whether or not it can be used with the "defensive magic" SA.

Bolt and Dispel are two of the spells that can be used. I believe there are others but can't say for sure. If there are not others I would expect to see more with the release of faction books.

In the description of a spell it will note whether or not it can be used with the "defensive magic" SA... Bolt and Dispel are two of the spells that can be used.

That's what I'm going with for now. However the link provided by abngi leading to Matt's explanation gives me the distinct impression that a Dispel spell is the only defensive magic intended to be used.

Spells that are indicated as Defensive Magic in their descriptions are the ones that can be used; Bolt or Dispel. Bolt is an offensive spell true, but then so is a defensive strike but it is still performed as part of a defensive reaction to attack. Dispel is more along classical "protective umbrella" lines.

Sounds like this answers a question I had, too. An opponent drops a fireball on a troop with a Defensive Spellcaster. Since the Defensive Spellcaster is caught in the blast, he/she casts Dispell versus the opponent's Magic defense. If the Dispell succeeds, then the opponent's spell fizzles for all affected models.

Do I have it right now?