Need Clarity on Charges & Combat

Super Jag

This is a new thread shooting off from a different one that got me confused about the whole charge and attack concept.

Please correct the wording if necessary:

1) Charge bonus is technically a NON-Combat action related to movement. As such, a model that charges and makes base to base contact with it's declared target has ONLY performed a movement which is NON-Combat... meaning there is NO attack/combat to go along with this action. The attacking model would need another remaining action to perform the actual combat action.

I.E.: Does a model that successfully charged get an automatic attack for that charge action?

Sorry but this water looks muddy to me. This makes a HUGE difference because it means that if a model had to make a movement with one action, and then declared a charge (another non-combat action) would ONLY HAVE MOVED INTO BASE TO BASE CONTACT WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF AN ACTUAL ATTACK. Technically a model would have to reach the opponent in it's first action to make a melee attack during it's second action.

So far we've understood it to function like so:

Move (one action)... charge into base to base (2nd action, which is when the charging model actually gets to make combat rolls).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Charging" is not an action, and has nothing to do with attacking. It is simply a set of bonus inches you *may* add to your movement, *if* those bonus inches of straight-line movement would allow you to get in base-to-base contact with an enemy model.

Some examples, with actions are separated by "//" are:

move into base-to-base // close combat attack

move // move into base-to-base

move into base-to-base // pass

move into base-to-base // move out of base-to-base

close combat attack // loot

Move (one action)... charge into base to base (2nd action, which is when the charging model actually gets to make combat rolls).

You were close, this is how I think it goes.

Move with charge bonus into base to base (one non-combat action)...

Close combat (combat action).

As I understand the rules, charge inches are just bonus inches added onto a regular movement that can only be used if they would put you into base to base contact with an enemy model. This does NOT mean you get a free attack vs the model or any kind of bonus to an attack vs that model. You must still have a combat action when you get there if you want to be able to attack the enemy model, but that doesnt mean you need to be able to attack an enemy model to get the charge bonus. Any bonus movement you get from charge, bloodlust etc... must be in a straight line to the enemy model.

Reaperbryan or ReaperMatt should be able to clear this up for you guys for sure with an official statement of the rules, since they are the gentlemen that know for sure what the rules are. Im just going on a brief reading of the rules, so I may not be right.

I'm so glad I asked... thanks much!!!

"Charging" is not an action, and has nothing to do with attacking. It is simply a set of bonus inches... to get in base-to-base contact with an enemy model.

That statement really clarifies it :poke:

So, performing a movement and then another movement with a charge bonus into base to base contact would exhaust the 2 allowable actions (both being non-combat). The end result is that the model has simply engaged an opponent in base to base... combat will have to wait until some other initiative card.

This isn't Mordheim

VERY True... and that is why I'm not afraid to ask all the questions I've posted recently. Trying to NOT CONFUSE other game's mechanics with this Warlord system.

So, performing a movement and then another movement with a charge bonus into base to base contact would exhaust the 2 allowable actions (both being non-combat). The end result is that the model has simply engaged an opponent in base to base... combat will have to wait until some other initiative card.

If you use both your actions to get into base contact (Move, then Move+Chargebonus+Runnerbonus+Bloodlustbonus) then yes, you are correct.

Sorry to split hairs, but it's becoming apparent that it's necessary.

Sorry to split hairs, but it's becoming apparent that it's necessary.

Nothing to be sorry about. Personally I learned (from the military) how important ATTENTION TO DETAIL can be.

As a Black Lightning rep, crash course learning Warlord, I would much rather figure this stuff out sooner than later so that I'm not misinforming area players. I'm putting some brain power into it because I just know sooner or later others are going to ask me the same. I love to play "spirit of the game" but I do have a knack for spotting potential loopholes and cheesy opportunities.

In fact... I was partly doing it wrong because a different rep showed me incorrectly. To his defense (maybe) he was using rules from about 2-3 months ago.

The one I always forget. As you close, the stationary model has the appropriate Holy/Vile that would cause the attacker to make a DIS check.

If the attacker fails the DIS check, where does he stop? (or where does he make the check? at the end of regular move I am assuming.)

I am assumeing that the attacker has to get past the Holy/Vile before he can Charge/Bloodlust because both of those abilities require that the attacker be able to make base-to-base contact which would be denied if he failed his DIS check.

Airhead, you probably should consider starting a new thread for this subject to keep it separate from this one so it'll be more easily noticed and answered. Good question to have clarified.