Crusader army list

Troop 1

Duke Gerald: 2 bandage spells, hold spell, bless spell, greater magic armor, moderate magic weapon, lesser magic empowerment, familiar

6 Templar Warriors

5 Iron Spines

force upgrades: Troop Musician, troop standard

Troop 2

Sir Conan: 2 bless spells

5 Ivy Crown archers

force upgrades: Troop Musician, troop standard

total points cost 998

Well guys there it is. A rough build of my Crusaders will be. I am trying to decide whether or not to get Valandil. So just give me your thoughts, comments, and criticisms.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good

You got reach models backing trenchers and archers supporting them.

The only problem I see is you don't have any strong magic casters in yer company and you have a heck of a lot of points now invested in Duke Gerard (you may have actually made him more expensive then King Grimsteel).

How I would bet yer army... I'd buy several cheap grunt (cannon fodder) an uber mage and archery support... send in the grunts to attack and hold up yer templars and Ironspines and then have the mage cast firestorm on all of them (yes even on my own men :devil: which is why I'd use the cheapest grunts I could get also this really works best with the spell Undying Host and the spectral minions it creates).

Unforunately, yer Ivory Crown archer aren't much of a threat so I'd ignore them and then focus on the money cow (the Duke)

The main use of Gerald is to get him into combat as soon as possible and slaughter. I gave him a couple of Bandages to heal himself and also gave him bless so that he could boost up a warrior if it got stuck up against something to kill. Do you think I should take some points out of Gerald, loose a warrior and buy Valandil.

I suggest losing the empowerment, familiar, and the mag. weap.(or take the lesser); also lose a couple spells. Also lose a Knight to free up some points.

Take at least one hero so they don't aim for the only large guy, you split them up by having several strong points backed up with grunts.

Also I would try to get in some kind of solo. Cheap or not your choice. Something to add a card and to help protect archers and if need be to create another strong point in Geralds troop

The main use of Gerald is to get him into combat as soon as possible and slaughter. I gave him a couple of Bandages to heal himself and also gave him bless so that he could boost up a warrior if it got stuck up against something to kill. Do you think I should take some points out of Gerald, loose a warrior and buy Valandil.

If that's the case, then I recommend you drop the Hold Spell from Gerard's spell list and replace it with Speed. It'll free up some points, and it's far easier for Gerard to cast Speed on himself than it is to affect an enemy troop with Hold. And it'll get him to the things you'd like to kill likety split

Creating a Crusader Force is hard in a 1000 point game if you wish to include Gerard. There's so much cool stuff to chose from, and alot of the characters, and even some of the Grunts, are pretty expensive. On the bright side, The grunts usually have good stats and abilities to back up the cost. Still, from my experience (for what that's worth) it's never a bad idea to have Valandil on hand. If it were me, I'd lose two or three of those Ivy Crown Archers (Sure, you'd lose Volley, but Archery IMO, is NOT the Crusader's Strong suit. Having a few archers to nag at your opponent for a lil bit, on the other hand, is just fine) Maybe tone down all the magic/special equipment a bit, and squeeze the ol' Archmage (and a warrior or two to make Conlan's troop legal) into Gerard's troop somehow.

Anyway, I think I'm forgetting something, (I usually do, it'll come to me later...) But that's my take on things, for what it's worth to ya.

I'm beginning to think that it's not a good idea to take a warlord in any army unless you have to because of composition rules. That's a lot of points in the Duke and from what I've heard, the Crusaders can easily succumb to horde armies. Any chance you could drop the Duke, get a lesser hero and get a bunch more troops good at killing the large numbers of troops a Reven or Overlord horde might have?

I've been fighting reven toe to toe this past weekend with my brother. We had no terrain or anything and we were both using the respectable starter sets. He beat me both times but It was dang close. But then we still don't have all the rules down though. Also I was looking through the rule book and I did not find anything saying I couldn't have a troop of adepts and a sergent I'm gonna take the advice and lose Gerard and add in some stuff. I'll post the revised one soon. Thanks everyone.

Curious... how do you think your Crusader force would be if you concentrated more on troop numbers and lessened the amount of points spent on upgrades?

As for getting Valandil, I would DEFFINITELY get him involved. The model itself is really cool and the stats seem to be great, especially for the points cost.

Don't forget about the ARMY Special Abilities on page 110 for fielding an ALL Crusader force. It'll be interesting to see how well the "Mercy" rule works out, but the "Holy Light" unique spell looks absolutely wicked versus undead.

Ok Ladies and gents its time for the revised Crusader Fighting Company

Troop 1

Lord Ironraven: Lesser magic armor and moderate magic weapon

5 Templar Warriors

5 Polearms

Valandil: Familiar, dispel, firestorm, 2 iceshards, lesser magic empowerment, bolt

troop 2

Sir Conlan

5 Ivy Crown Archers

troop 3

Celestial Lion

total points cost: 1000 even ::D:

Total draw deck cards:4

I kept the archers because of the marksman ability I get a 2" radius if they do not move that action phase and they have ranger so I can get a quick move in before the game begins. The Celestial Lion Helps keep enemies from getting close to the archers while taking on some of the bigger enemies. The main force will march forward and try to trap the enemie in close combat and use the Ironspines for backup. Valandil Will sit behind the main force and try to weaken some of the stronger enemies (about 2 health levels) with his spells and see if he can't can't a group too close together or clean up after close combat with a fiery coup de grace. Lord Ironspine will mostly lend extra support with his reach and taking on the larger enemies. There is a basic strategy and the build. Once again critize me please.

This army I believe will do better than the first one. But knowing how many points you've sunk in Valandil, he would be my first target if I was your opponent. I would suggest the following adjustments (though not sure how the points will work out).

Replace firestorm with fireball and/or drop one of the ice shards.

With the points you save, get bandage and/or bless for Sir Conlan. Also give him a lesser magic armor if you can squeeze it in. Make sure you use bless and marksman combo at the most opportune moment.

ps. Firestorm would be more effective in 1000+ battles where the odds of catching groups huddled together is better. Firestorm is also an excellent choice regardless of points, in a 3-4 way battle.

Looks good, deflagratio. But I agree w/ Mengu, Valandil would be my 1st, maybe my 2nd target.

See, on the bright side, you've got lots of meat-shields with Tough to block line of sight on Valandil of any archers/spellcasters (quite important) after he casts a spell.

Your Archers, on the other hand strike me as a lil vulnerable without some Templar Warriors to cover them. However, you've done great with the points you've alotted yourself, and I'd be very interested in hearing about how this force plays out. I bet it'll do great.

Oh yeah, and you mentioned you were going toe to toe with Reven....*wince* that's a tough battle, man. Reven are tough. Not suprising that the battles have been close. The really cool thing about Crusaders (aside of having more clerics than anyone) is Mercy. Use it early, use it as often as you can. It can definately make up for the low troop numbers.

We actually didn't play with faction specific rules. The thing is that Crusader warriors have tough just like the Reven grunts and that tied everyone up by performing coup de grace's and a good placed fireball spell on a flank. The thing is that I'm hoping to use the Celestial Lion in conjuction with my archers. The lion and the archers will work a flank. The archers shooting over the lion to soften them up so he can tear them to bits and clean up the stunned ones. I hope to use Valandal to get a few kills or stuns right before I charge with firestorm or to clear out swarm around my guys.

The second army list will work much better.

The problem with the first is Gerard and spells; if he is casting 4 spells, those are 4 turns he is not melee attacking. I could see the Bandage, in case of early-turn ranged damage, or late-turn maneuvering, but the attack spells just slow you down.