Tactician clarification

Gus Landt

At the RAC, we got some official clarification on the Tactician special ability, and I know more than a few people have been using it incorrectly.

It does NOT allow you to bury a card like Spy does. All Tactician does is improve your chances of going first/earlier.

I don't know if previous (beta) version of the rules allowed for bury cards with Tactician, but the published rules say nothing about being able to bury a card, and we confirmed with the Power That Be that you cannot bury a card with it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to bring up old controversy but I feel that in the first turn tactician is a detriment instead of a boon. Activating first sometimes leads to being killed by enemy archers in the first round. Maybe this is still under revue because in this thread Warmaster, Tactician & Spy, What are they for? Reaper Bryon said

as it works now, if you have an extra card, you can choose to activate NO troops, and thus save activating a troop until later. it doesn’t guarantee anything, but it can be helpful. It also gives you better chanves of going right now, if htat is what you need. So it is useful to help you go sooner, or later, whichever you need at the time

We were playing that you could bury a card on activation until our last game (Once the rule book came in) and I like it the old way better.

Dogboy

Ok so now I will ask a question. I get the scond card due to tactician this improves my chances of going first. Does it mean that I must activate a troop at that time? Or can I choose to not activate anything knowing I still have another card with which I can activate a troop?

Dogboy you posted just before and wiht the answer I was looking for (possibly)

Thanks

First off, ReaperBryan was as surprised by this clarifiction as the rest of us. He was wrong with his earlier statement.

As can be seen in the rulebook, there is no provision in the Tactician description for burying a card.

You cannot choose to "activate no troops". Again, the rulebook makes no provision for doing this. You CAN choose to activate a troop and give that troop no actions (or 'pass' actions), but that still counts as activating them.

The rules for 'shuffle and draw' state that when a card is drawn for a fighting force whose troops have all been giving actions, that card is ignored. No where in the rulebook does it say you can choose not to activate a troop when a card is drawn.

If you happen to go first in the first turn (partly due to having extra initiative cards) and you're not ready to go because you'd rather have the opponent go first, then just make Pass actions.

I think of gaming like playing a fancy variant of chess... and it's not uncommon to sacrifice a move to set up your opponent to lose in a chess game.

Also, there are quite a few troops that have speed in their favor and and/or Ranger SA. Or certain ranged combat models/troops can utilize SA's. So, having that first turn initiative card advantage is more important than it seems because it gives you a better chance of choosing to be offensive or defensive if necessary.

I see the point about too many cards being a possible disadvantage... I just don't see it as ACTUALLY being a problem because of above reasons.

With that said though, it does make sense that a player might be able to bury a card during actual game play turns too. I wouldn't complain one bit at all if that were the rule.

Bleh, I say. Forcing a player to activate when they have extra cards just removes that much more of a tactical feel. I want to play a game with options and decisions. This is by far the most disappointing news I have heard in a long time.

That's the way its been in CAV since the beginning Jeneki. If you have an extra initiative card, it only allows you to move earlier, not skip a card and go later.

If you happen to go first in the first turn (partly due to having extra initiative cards) and you're not ready to go because you'd rather have the opponent go first, then just make Pass actions.

Just to be clear, you have to pass with one of your companies, which means that they don't get to do anything that turn.

Just to be clear, you have to pass with one of your companies, which means that they don't get to do anything that turn.

Correct. That's what I'm saying. And I do acknowledge that it seems to be a waste of potential action. However, until the mechanism is changed to allow a buried card during post deployment gameplay, this is a reasonable way to deal with it. I just think of it as stalling and setting up the opponent for a counter attack.

Anyway, here's to hoping Tactician gets an Errata to add the Bury mechanic.

As much as I'd want Tactician to also have the Bury ability.....

Here's to not Errata'ing anything so that we don't have to keep track of dozens of Errata'd rulings. It can be a real pain in the butt to go play a game and have to bring along 50 pages of printouts with your rulebook! :wacko:

Gus that will happen regardless FAQs and Errata are I believe compulsory in wargaming ::):.

As this is my first wargame, I was hoping that wouldn't be. :down:

My only experience in this is from playing Magic the Gathering. When I started in 1994, there was one small rulebook to stick on your pocket.

When I quit last year, I had a 120 page rulebook to lug around and had to constantly check for updates. :grr:

Oh well. I'll still play cause I am grateful to finally have something to do with all my painted minis! :lol:

Here you go Gus:

Warmachine errata (6 pages):

http://www.ikwarmachine.com/docs/WMPrimeErrata.04.07.20.zip

Mage Knight errata (23 pages):

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/doc...KFAQ_101804.pdf

DnD Miniatures Errata (5 pages):

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DDM_Errata_20040708.zip

Warhammer 40k FAQs (too many to count):

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gam...FAQ/default.htm

C.A.V. errata (~1 page):

http://www.cavhq.com/1stprinterrata.html

Yes, every miniature game has errata and FAQs to read. Sucks but true. :wacko: