Sign in to follow this  
Timberhick

Faction Books

I've never been a big fan of seperate faction books.

I hope that they wont be like 20-25$ a piece, if they have to do it this way make them like 10$ a piece. I dont want to spend 200$ or so just on faction books

Well you have to expand the line somehow, and the best way to do that is with a faction book. Otherwise you are spending extra time and money producing a 1000 page rulebook that's gonna cost $50.

The Faction books are gonna be cool, very cool. :B):

I hope that they wont be like 20-25$ a piece, if they have to do it this way make them like 10$ a piece. I dont want to spend 200$ or so just on faction books

Why would you buy all of the faction books? Wouldn't you just buy the faction book for the faction you are playing? Or maybe 2-3 books if you are playing a couple of factions?

As Warlord is my first miniature game (i.e. I've never played Warhammer), I may be wrong on this. Do you need to have all of the faction books if you are only playing 1-2 factions?

I hope that they wont be like 20-25$ a piece, if they have to do it this way make them like 10$ a piece.  I dont want to spend 200$ or so just on faction books

Why would you buy all of the faction books? Wouldn't you just buy the faction book for the faction you are playing? Or maybe 2-3 books if you are playing a couple of factions?

As Warlord is my first miniature game (i.e. I've never played Warhammer), I may be wrong on this. Do you need to have all of the faction books if you are only playing 1-2 factions?

I always buy my faction book and then I buy the faction books that my opponents will be using. Knowing what to plan for is half the battle.

I always buy my faction book and then I buy the faction books that my opponents will be using. Knowing what to plan for is half the battle.

Exactly.

If I play multiple factions (there's what 8-9 of them altogether?) that's multiple books for what fluff? new units? Maybe another painting guide or another tactics section.

Take it one step further..How many would buy into a game that has 8 main rule books? This way you get the core rules along with your particular faction of choice's special add-on rules. Now if you play multiple armies you end up with multiple rulebooks just for new units. Plus if you limit the number of new units/abilities they can and will be playtested alot better.

Personally I like how Privateer Press is doing it, each new book has all the factions in it. What that does is allow all armies to get something every month. Looking back at my time with Gw, I had some real issues with armies never getting any love. 2-3 years before their army book came out then another 6-10 months before all the figs were out for it. bleh.

I would hope that Reaper wouldn't do that. They should have taken what people liked about other companies and what they didn't like about them and try to mold their new lines and products around the good things and mitigated the bad.

I already know of 9 people who were going to get into Warlord, but after reading and hearing about how there will be faction books and release schedules will be...they just put the rulebook back and moved on.

Yes I do realize people are fickle and thats only 9 people, but that's also only one store...start multipling that a bit and see where it goes..

Read before about the 2/8 concept. You have 2 people who pretty much are the 'chiefs' of a store/group all the other 8 do is follow their lead. Problem is those 2 end up being very nit-picky with their 'blessings'. They end up being the ones you want.

Right now unfortunately those 9 people dont want another Gw clone( they are also the same people who quit playing warmachine because it's turned into a wizkids clone rules wise.[which I dont blame them for])

Well enough of my rant.

Well you have to expand the line somehow, and the best way to do that is with a faction book. Otherwise you are spending extra time and money producing a 1000 page rulebook that's gonna cost $50.

The Faction books are gonna be cool, very cool. :B):

I wouldn't say it's the best. I would say it's the easiest and cheapest way to make money for nothing.

Another way to expand the line could be "The Popcorn Campaign" This book has new units for say 4 factions plus gives a campaign to follow if you want. Gives a lot of fluff for a particular are and why these factions are fighting.

You do 2 of these type books a year.

Now all factions have something new to play with, everyone gets some more rules, fluff lovers get a more detailed understanding of how the world interacts, new characters are introduced, etc.

I'm not saying Faction Books are wrong, just saying they are evil :devil:

Well, with a faction book, all I need to bring to a game is the core book and the faction book. With popcorn books, I need to bring them ALL, if I'm using units from all books.

Whatever ends up happening, I'm still probably going to get them all, just because I'm like that. I'm not too worried either way.

If you don't like the faction books, simply don't buy them. The game is perfectly playable and enjoyable with just the core rulebook.

I used that stance for D&D, and have been playing D&D for the past 2 decades without ever buying anything but the core rulebooks. I've never lost enjoyment by not buying the weekly supplement books that WOTC puts out.

As for buying every single faction book just because you might play against someone who uses one of those factions, then I think the problem is with you putting 'winning' above 'having fun'. Don't buy any faction books and have fun. Buy just 1 or 2 for the faction(s) you'll play, and have even more fun.