Points question

Mengu

I'm trying to figure the strengths and weaknesses of armies in general, so as to build kind of a loose guide for people who ask at our FLGS. AndI'm analyzing point costs as part of that guide. For instance Overlords have cheap bondslaves, so numbers wil be their strength, whereas crusaders have expensive warriors, but their skill and defense give them a more elite feel.

I ran into a snitch when doing these comparisons... Can someone explain to me why Varaug is 53 points cheaper than Judas, when his stats and abilites seem a little better than Judas's?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into a snitch when doing these comparisons... Can someone explain to me why Varaug is 53 points cheaper than Judas, when his stats and abilites seem a little better than Judas's?

I tried doing some comparisons of archers in another topic and was bit, chewed, and spat out. It isn't a popular topic to question the point system. I fear your fate is the same. :B):

Sort Factions will have different costs for different SAs

For example the elves get range attack SAs cheaper then they do melee SAs (or something like that).

I'd think you'd be better off looking less at the point cost and more at a faction's strength and weakness.

For example break done the factions by Melee, Range, Defense, Magic and Speed

Dwarves would be

Melee: Strong

Range: weak (18" and no marksmanship)

Defense: Average

Magic: average

Speed: weak

Looking at a faction this way I think might be easier since only the "Powers that Be" have the secret formulia for point costs.

I trust Reaper to put in the necessary work to make the points as 'right' as possible. All I know is I sure wouldn't want to be the one to have to assign points to all models. What a nightmare! I think if they had a decade for heavy play testing then they could get it right. It's all in how much play testing you can do to figure out balanced point costs.

Actually, using a series of linked spreadsheets makes manual balancing of troops fairly straightforward, though setting the weighting for encounter types takes some finesse. Character abilities get rougher, as they can't use quite the same protocols.

Oh, I don't have a problem with point costs. But there is always the chance there can be mistakes. I just wanted to see if this was one or not. I can see the cost justifications for most anything else, this was the only one I ran into where the Orc Warlord seemed a little cheap, and was wondering if anyone could answer why. It could be because Reven get bloodlust and attack bonuses for cheaper, and perhaps toughness and defense is more expensive for Necropolis, and hence the point difference.

I wasn't trying to question the system. I would be defending it if someone else asked, you can be sure of that :ph34r: . But just recently someone asked if the Dwarf King's points were a typo, a perfectly valid question. And it got a perfectly valid answer, scryshot is indeed that good.

Errata is inevitible. So whenever we make an observation for what may be a mistake, oversight, or typo, I think we need to voice it out.

I agree that with a point system, some units are going to be better than others. Every game has the good, the bad, and the ugly forces. Tactics are often built around these.

I think this was a rather specific question and some people are still interested in an answer. It is not a person bashing the points system. Just a request for clarification.

Bryan, Matt, you out there? Any thoughts, comments?

debby ^_^

We're not really posting any clarifications on points at this time. However, we are noting any questions raised (like with Varaug) and then adding them to a file.

We are doing this because, rather than post info in a hodgepodge manner, we'd like to get as many of them all at once as possible.

We're not really posting any clarifications on points at this time. However, we are noting any questions raised (like with Varaug) and then adding them to a file.

We are doing this because, rather than post info in a hodgepodge manner, we'd like to get as many of them all at once as possible.

Hey Matt, just in case noone has noticed (which I find hard to believe), here's another point discrepancy that should be noted and clarified in the near future...

Necropolis Skeleton Warrior = 22 points

Nefsokar Mummy Warriors = 21 points... exact same SA's but have 1 better Dis, 1 better MAV, 1 better DV, and 1 better MD.

Hmmmm...?

I'm thinking the points costs are balanced by faction rather than individual trooper. I eventually plan on doing an extensive analysis of the points system and maybe I'll be able to reverse engineer a mathematical system even if the factions in the book were done on a more intuitive basis.

Admittedly, it can't be very easy to determine what special abilities or stats should be worth X number of points. It still looks to me like the game developers did a very good job attributing point values to characters and troops. Naturally, some are going to look suspicious, and especially so when WE don't know what formula was used to derive point values.

Mistakes occur (typos, miscalculations, etc.). Reaper has ALWAYS been very helpful and willing to correct these little buggers.

As for the Mummy vs. Skeleton warriors... well, maybe I've seen too many movies but I don't really see why there'd be much difference between the two types of creatures. If one is better than the other on paper, so be it, but let's make sure that troop doesn't get more bang for less buck.

With that said, if those points I posted above are accurate, then there definitely is something squirrely with the points formula.

I'd think you'd be better off looking less at the point cost and more at a faction's strength and weakness.

Freelance companies.

There is no problem if you price a stat line too high, but when a model is worth more than the points, Freelance will rule the day, and the game begins to lose some of the faction flavor which is a big plus of the game.