Geocaching

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have participated in searching for a couple of these in Asheville. It was actually quite fun, but if your gps is not calibrated correctly, you could end up all kinds of mixed up. fortunatly for us, we found what we were looking for.... i was going to place one in atlanta when i go down there in December, possibly a painted, and an unpainted mini.

Fallen

back when I was in Explorer scouts, we had "Road rallies". Basically, we started from a set place, following directions on our handouts, and looking for the "clues" they mentioned. it could be a puzzle type clue, or could be a number or the like, from a gas meter in a field, or in one case, an updown 55 was a speed limit sign that was hanging upside down on its pole. If you followed the directions correctly, you end back up where you started; if you don't, well, let's just hope you know your home town area. :)

Now, along those lines... Anybody saw the early 80's movie "Midnight Madness"? I've been thinking of trying to put together something like that...

LOL...Midnight Madness. What a cheezy movie. And yet, I would never change the channel when I stumbled across it.

Was that Michael J. Fox's first movie?

I bought it for my brother on VHS a number of years ago. I wonder if he still has it.

I know I always enjoyed land navigation in the Army. There was something great about grabbing a map and a compass and trying to find other peole, places or things. I was responsable for weekly training and I would go out in the woods and leave the road hazard triangles in all sorts of places with notes or directions. Sometimes they would have supplies or treats with them but if you did not reach your objective in a given time there could be a penalty associated with it. Such as seperating trash for recycling or something similarly gross and universally hated. It was fun.

Heh. One time when I was in the Army we did such an exercize. Since I was always squared away and knew what I was doing, I let my team partners do the mental work for a landnav exercize we had one night. After bumbling through the wood for a couple hours I finally took a look at the map.

They had it upside down. No joke.

When you want something done right...

Damon.

My husband LOVES to do this. He wants a pocket/weather proof GPS for Christmas so he doesn't have to borrow from friends. I've tagged along on a few of them and I must say it's really fun. You have clues and you walk over an area so many times that you're about to give up but then you see something you didn't notice the first 50 times and bam, you found it!

It's really cool when you find tokens that have quests. When he is able to get into it more, my husband wants to take one of my minis and start his own cash. The mini will have a quest as well.

There's a website for this as well. I can get it from my husband if anyone interested. It lists the different cashes in cities/states, how many times they're been found (or aleast recorded) and by whom.

This is actually something I try to do on as regular a basis as I can. It's quite a bit of fun, and you often end up in places that you may never have gotten to any other way.

If it's something your interested in, I'm happy to share my little bits of info, or you can check out www.geocaching.com. Good stuff.