Generic forces and/or Freelance forces

Super Jag

Obviously Warlord gives us the ability to field an unofficial "Generic" force using the data cards in the back of the book. Also, Warlord gives us the flexibility of fielding a "Freelance" force.

Is a "Freelance" force simply the use of characters & troops from ONLY MERCENARIES?

Another way of asking is... "would a freelance force be official if it followed the following stipulations:

A) contained a mixture of models/troops from ANY force rosters available.

B) and adhere to the good/neutral/evil combination stipulations.

E.G.: Orc Warlord + Skeleton Warriors + Elf Archers + Griffon (Dwarven)... etc.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Frosch... oh goodie-goodie-goodie!!!! Now I can justify buying and painting ALL the armies available... yippeee!!!! ::D:

Hmmmm, gotta figure out now how to explain that rationale to my wife when she asks why I'm ignoring her in favor of gaming. :devil:

Just kidding... I'm definitely in the process of building Necropolis and Dwarves. Reven is third priority but I'm more inclined now to put what I have of them into a freelance force.

QUOTE (Super Jag @ Oct 28 2004, 11:42 PM)

Thanks Frosch... oh goodie-goodie-goodie!!!! Now I can justify buying and painting ALL the armies available... yippeee!!!! 

It needed justification?

Hey, even Reaper tells us BLO's that real life comes before gaming. Like I said though... just kidding. As long as I don't go overboard and I do my share of housecleaning, parenting, and attention to the Mrs. then there's no problem. I'm actually VERY fortunate in that she is totally cool with my gaming hobby.

Back to topic... the ability to mix forces (just for occasional fun of doing it IMO) sorta gives me the greenlight to paint certain models and troops that I really like but would not get because I'm not interested in the entire army. Reality is that there's only so much time I can put into gaming so I do have to make some choices.

Besides, despite being unofficial for tournament play, there are just TOO many great Dark Heaven line miniatures that I'd love to use in Warlord. Again, for that occasional fun I'd like to combine and use most of them as proxies sometimes. (E.G.: Bugbears = Orcs).

My group has been playing based on the Unit's alignment.

If Crusaders and Orcs are aligned the Orcs cannot use Evil models.

If you play Darkspawn(Evil Faction) you cannot pick the Dwarven piercers card(good card, good faction), but you could pick the Griffon(neutral card, good faction)

So I can take a neutral unit/character from the crusaders and add that to an evil Necropolis/darkspawn regiment?

Or does it depend on the alignment of the faction it comes from?

pg. 52

"There are three Affiliations: Good, Neutral and Evil. Good and Evil Affiliated Models cannot be in the same Fighting Company."

it is the model's affiliation not the faction that determines things.

so yes a Neutral Crusader Model (Vanadil for example) could be fielded in a Necropolis troop.

cher ^_^

so yes a Neutral Crusader Model (Vanadil for example) could be fielded in a Necropolis troop.

That traitor! I always knew he was poking into dark lore and making aliances with the enemy! If anyone in the crusader faction were to turn, I knew it would be him!

(just showing a background demonstration that might be interesting in a campaign)