Ivan Vampire Wizard

Darkstar

vladdyboy.jpg

This is a WIP...a little tougher to paint than he looked. Lots of shallow piping and angular jutty things.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend much of the day freehanding a design on his cape, with a cape that size, how can I resist?

The gold is basecoat Scorched Earth, SE mixed with Beasty Brown, SE + BB mixed with Snakebite, BB + SB, SB alone, SB + Buff, Buff alone, Buff + Pale Sand, PS alone, Ivory final highlights.

This stuff looks like real gold IMHO. Anyways, been squinting at him so long that I wanted to see him up close on the camera, helps me check for mistakes or errors before finalizing, just thought I'd give you all a peek as well.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great so far, DS! That gold is super-sweet. Very dynamic. Can't wait to see him done!

P.S. Looks like you got a lil dot of red paint on the back of his cloak there. ;)

Yeah, OOPS! hehe. I'll cover it tomorrow, with about 15 layers of paint. ::D:

Got the freehand idea already, my hand is a bit cramped or I would be working on it right now...

until the meantime...Thank God for Real Irish Whiskey! Whhooooohooooo!! ::D:

Good start on the Vampire - he's definitely a challenging mini. I haven't started on him yet (probably will be a while before I do). I can't wait to ssee your finished model!

I've never been able to drink *anything* while performing any sort of manual dexterity related task.... well... except for bowling... good luck on the hand cramps... I know them well !!!!

Rgds,

I really like what you have so far. It looks to me that you are using a tech similar to your NHH on the sleeve of his right arm. You are one of the more experimental painters on the boards and it is one of the reasons I enjoy your work so much. You are always trying new things which makes me look forward to seeing your next piece.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks all for the comments...very kind.

SK, yeah, he is really stiff, and I prefer Klockes female sculpts mostly...This is one serious piece of pewter, very weighty in hand. And, IMO the right arm seems too long because the cloak is too short, I dunno, it's weird.

NK, Dead plant...I like that :mellow: I was thinking it was going to be just graveyard dirt, but it DOES look like wilted IcePlant or something...interesting, I'll work with that idea. Thanks!

DM, The sleeve is a bit different than the NHH (Non Hair Hair ::P: ) this time I used ink washes *gasp!* to acheive the shading...you're right, I'm always experimenting with different things...especially since I got some new equipment, fun stuff.

Okay, expect the finished deal tonight...have a good one!

That is some great looking NMM gold.

What did you use for the base?

The base is done by starting with some milliput to make a little mound on top of the base, pressing the mini into the top to mark where he is most balanced.

Then, I let that cure overnight.

Next day I put another layer of milliput over the cured bulk.

Into this layer I press some little craft stones to resemble a rock pile, or dungeon floor.

I then drill out the mini, and the base with a wide gauge drill bit in my Dremel.

In this case, the mini was really heavy so I wanted to pin him good. Instead of a paperclip to pin him to the base, I used an old drill bit. You could throw this guy at a rock and he wouldn't come apart.

Once he's pinned, I added sand and kitty litter to the base to flock it. Not the easiest base to make, but I had done a similar base on an Illithid before so I had a plan at least.