Sign in to follow this  
CripDyke

hirst arts

I've been aching to buy this stuff for some time, but I have finally come to grips with the fact that I don't have time to paint minis I already have...much less learn how to cast (an entirely new art form!)

I know that HA stuff is very economical if you cast a lot of stuff with it. But sometimes people don't cast as much as they think, or just need the money.

Does anyone wanna make a deal with me? Cast me some HA stuff - you don't have to paint it - and I'll do some painting for you, or just buy the stuff???

Or if you have old HA stuff that you find you're not using like you thought you would...maybe you wanna unload it on me cheap, or (again) trade for some work on my part??

In addition to painting, I have been known to compose fiction and/or poetry for money, so I would happily do it for trade.

I just wanna be able to get some of the Dungeon basic floors & walls, maybe some general town-type reusable buildings (like a tavern or a smithy or an alchemy shop - things that are certain to be reused).

I don't want fancy cathedrals or other one-of-a-kind scenery.

I just can't see myself learning to build scenery, but I really do want some for dungeoneering.

PLS contact me if you think this might be possible... PM is the easiest way, of course.

I tried finding usded molds on EBAY and have never had any luck. These things are too frickin cool, but the molds are expensive and you really need a lot of them for most projects.

wow stormy, thanks for that link!

You can get the whole kit already cast for as much as buying the single mold would cost for some of those.

That's a great alternative for those of us who don't have the time to cast the blocks ourselves

You know selling the blocks that way would be an excellent method of offsetting the cost of the molds without taking up too much time, after all it is the assembly and painting that takes all the time. Cast the blocks and sell them in kits on EBAY. I may just order some molds.

I think you would need some type of a licence agrement with Hirst Arts to be allowed to sell the stuff.

Just an FYI tidbit before you dump alot of cash dreaming of a quick return.

Yep. He says it on the webpage. When you buy the product, you're not just buying the molds themselves, but also the blocks and the unofficial license to make reproductions of them for personal use. To mold them for personal use is fine, but to mold and SELL them would be like recasting Reapers and selling them, whether you paint them yourself or not.

Damon.

Yeah, the castlekits site is listed on Hirst arts main site as an officially licensed method of obtaining the blocks without buying the molds. There's also a link to a site that made some really nice dungeon building kits out of the hirst molds, also licensed to sell them.

I might just have to invest in some of those Castlekits projects. It'll be like buying legos I can use for wargaming!

EDIT: RING -200 !

So you can't even sell finished product without his permission? They are only plaster blocks after all. You pay a pretty penny for a rubber mold as is, but I guess it is his call.

Wow, well I will check it out and most likely scratch it off of my list of purchases. Since you need 3+ molds for any project and I can't imagine that I would do too much I can't justify spening $100 on one small building that is not including the paint and plaster to boot.

Oh well, I can always use the sight Stormy gave us.

The price of the molds is what's been putting me off as well. I can't justify $100+ and who knows how many hours of my time just to make the bricks I need to build one of those projects.

However, I think that $15 - $50 for pre-molded kits is not unreasonable, and if I want specific pieces from other molds I can just order a casting individually for around $2-3. That's really no worse than buying metal bits from GW or Reaper for conversons. And polystone is pretty good stuff. If you don't drop it three feet onto a cement floor it's unlikely to ever break.

The Warlock House and Fieldstone Bridge will start me off, I think.

Another benefit to buying the kits is you can get a taste of the process without buying the molds. If you find yourself getting hooked you can buy the molds, if you find that they take too much of your time to assemble and paint, then you can stop,

Well, unless you are doing the huge cathedral one mold is sufficient for almost every single project on the site. Its how many times you have to pour plaster into that takes the time. So there is one mold for the Inn, but you have to pour it 22 times to make enough blocks.

You can buy additional basic block molds that would help speed up the process and when you are working with 3-5 molds at a time making blocks goes pretty quickly.

You are allowed to sell what you make, read the site more carefully. He only requires a license if you sell in excess of a certain amount of money and that you allows tell people that the blocks were made from his molds.

When I'm in block casting mode I use all nine molds that I own. I may not use all the extra blocks but having them around always comes in handy.

The shipping is a killer on that site, but I don't know what the weight is or what or shipping products they are using.

Polystone is heavy. I can imagine that several hundred lego-sized blocks of the stuff weigh a good. bit. I would imagine that one of the JRMiniatures polystone 1/300th sci-fi buildings I have weighs in at close to a pound, and it's only about 4" Long x 2" Wide by 4" high.