Sign in to follow this  
CripDyke

hirst arts

Gah, comp crashed earlier and my reply got lost.

Yeah, you need a license to sell individual bricks or kits. If you sell completed buildings, you don't need a license unless you sell more than $1k per year. The license fee wasn't too bad - the only thing that has kept me from doing it is that I do not have duplicates of any mold. Yet.

When I do break down and get add'l copies of some of the more basic molds, I will almost certainly be getting the license and start selling kits.

*From Out of Left Field Comes .....

Even with Dental Plaster watch out when you attempt to break the casting to get the broken and deteriorated look.

I smacked a couple brick and also most pulzerized the things.

Then again, it might just be my hulking arms and manly muscles. (doubt it)

Well, I added it up when I got home and to get all the molds needed to build the warlock house I would need to spend $121 for the molds, plus time and materials to actually cast the bricks before I could even think about putting it together (A minimum of 30 mold pourings to get all the parts). $46 for a ready-to-build kit now seems very reasonable.

Yeah, Bruce has great customer service.

BTW, if you really like the molds, you might try working out a deal with some people at your FLGS. IF you all pool your purchases, you can get the discounts that he gives for the larger orders.

Well, I added it up when I got home and to get all the molds needed to build the warlock house I would need to spend $121 for the molds, plus time and materials to actually cast the bricks before I could even think about putting it together (A minimum of 30 mold pourings to get all the parts). $46 for a ready-to-build kit now seems very reasonable.

True, but you can build the warlock house with only one mold if you choose too. The parts provided in the additional molds can be made using other scenary techniques. And its not like they are one use molds all of those pieces can be used for other projects. So if you goal is to just build the Warlock House then buy the kit. If you have future uses for the parts from those molds then buy the molds. Its nice that someone out there is casting all those bricks for you so that seems like a reasonable way to go.

Well, I received my order from Castlekits and I am very pleased. I ordered the bridge kit and the ruins. I put together the bridge last nigt. The kits came with clear instructions and the bricks were all very well cast.

The bridge went together fairly easily and looks great. I have to buy paint today and will paint it up tnight or on Sunday. The bridge required the mold to be cast 10 times and the ruins mold has to be cast 16 times. To me, this makes the kit purchasing worth the extra cost. I do see myself working with the molds directly in the future, it was nice to see how well the Hirst mold system works by purchasing these kits.