Question on models with flight & RAV

Gus Landt

OK, I played an interesting game of Warlord this saturday. Due to the guy with most of the figures not showing up, we were left with grabbing an Orcus mini and using the Dragon stats for him. He went up against my 1000 point Reven army (made it to 1250 by adding about 250 points of magic items. :-)

So, in the first few turns, the 'dragon' focused on flying over and taking out my 6 Orc archers. Once those archers were gone, we realized something scary. Without archers (and no ranged offensive magic), the game was over right there. I still had 1100 points of Reven on the table, but I could never, ever do a single point of damage to the dragon. All the dragon would do is fly above my troops and use ranged attacks. We had no way to return fire.

Question 1: Did we play this correctly? Is there any reason the Dragon couldn't have done that?

After conceding immediate defeat to the dragon, we played it out as if the dragon lost flight. Obviously he was quickly surrounded by orcs.

When surrounding something on a CD sized base with like 15 orcs, all in base to base contact with each other (crowd em in!), what sort of support bonus would each orc get? We didn't think giving each of them +14 was fair, so we just said they each get +2 - one for the guy on either side of them.

Question 2: What support bonus would have been correct?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming they all made their Dis check to get into base contact, then a +14 is correct. That's when the Dragon drops a Firestorm...centered on himself.

Heh, we tottaly forgot about Horrid. ::P:

Oh, and the dragon had no spells. at 1337 points just for him, we didn't let Crusoe buy any spells on top of that!

I've run a couple similar scenarios (Dragon vs. Reven) and we quickly realized the futility of fighting an airborne Dragon. We just kept the dragon on the ground and allowed for it's magic spells (Dispels, fireballs). The games still required the use of magic and some melee versus the dragon to have much success.

The Dragon hunt is definitely a fun one though, but against a non-ranged force it's, well, just what you'd expect... a barbecue dinner for the dragon. :lol:

Archers....lots of archers...I think that's all I'm going to paint up.

I guess you could use a scenario that keeps the dragon on the ground...indoor cavern not high enough for flight...or he has to guard something on the ground that is in a building...

I think, after reading the rules again last night, that while in flight the dragon suffers a -1 on any ranged attack from the air. Is this correct?

I think, after reading the rules again last night, that while in flight the dragon suffers a -1 on any ranged attack from the air. Is this correct?

I just read that last night too. I was confused as to who got the -1 to hit. The way it is worded, I can read it either way. I thought that maybe it was the attackers attacking the dragon that got the -1. Either way makes sense - it is harder to aim a ranged attack while flying, and it is harder to hit a flying target with a ranged attack.

Anyone know for sure?