Is it worth it?

ipaintminis

is miniature painting (including, time, money spent etc.) worth everything you put into it?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. is miniature painting (including, time, money spent etc.) worth everything you put into it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaming and Painting miniatures were introduced to me just prior to my first shoulder operation. As a lifelong athlete, I found this hobby to be a TREMENDOUS help in overcoming the "bummed" out feelings that injuries/surgeries tend to bring.

Painting also tapped into an artisitic side of me that I didn't know existed. Not only do I thoroughly enjoy painting miniatures, but it has also led to numerous contracts by others to professionaly paint their miniatures.

Having said that... I personally do experience some frustration with the idea that a certain amount of expenditures (money, time away from family and other interests) are made. If I sense that I'm not putting the miniatures that I've painted to use in some gaming, then I my overall enthusiasm for the hobby does seem to diminish a bit.

I no longer collect and paint like I used to, but when I do I'm always glad I did.

Good luck with your assignment.

Heh. Asking on the Reaper message boards if painting minis is worth the effort is like asking on the NFL.com boards if the forward pass is worth it. :lol:

Er, yes, it is worth it. I enjoy the hobby of miniature painting, I like to share my latest creations with my gaming group, and I like to see other people's creations both here and on CMON for inspiration, if not out-right theft. :ph34r:

I find the hobby relaxing and enjoyable. I really enjoy watching football on Sundays while I paint. I'm still not sure when I painted that Houston Texans logo on Mash, the Half-Ogre, but it does look nice. :wow:

Well, a standard sliding scale fee for therapy is about $75.00 for a one hour session with an LICSW at the clinics I work with.

You figure a person with some significant issues usually has one session a week, maybe one every other week.

I think even if I tried really hard. I couldn't paint through $75 - $150 of miniatures in a two week period. If the average price for a figure is $5.00, that would be 15 figures in a week.

So, it is definitely cheaper than therapy! And your mini will probably not ask you to tell it about your mother. Granted, that is probably because most minis are more of the Cognitive-Behavioral school rather than a Freudian Psychoanalytic approach.