Dawn of War Demo

Been playing the demo disc that comes with the latest issue of PC Gamer. This game rocks!. From the starting cinematic to the end of the demo mission, this is little piece of software turned out to be very enjoyable.

My machine has stopped being top of the line for a while, but even so, I was able to run it with high quality textures at low rez, with a pretty good frame rate.

The game has been out since the first week of september, but I wanted to wait to either read the review on PCG or even better, get to play the demo. Now I am pretty sure I will get a copy of it. ::D:

I've played the full retail, and despite the single player campaign being very short (11 missions) and fairly predictable, it is still one of the best games in recent memory, and probably the best RTS since StarCraft.

Lovely graphics, and multiplayer is great.

Being a fan of the 40K universe I thought I could sink my teeth into this game. Although the game itself is awesome, great graphics, presentation and gameplay balance...it's still just an RTS title. Nothing against the game, but the genre. I've never liked RTS titles, but I was hoping the Dawn of War demo would change my mind as I really wanted a good 40K PC game...

I wish they make a turn based one. That'll never happen IMO because they stand to lose too much of their tabletop player base to just playing a PC version. Smart move on the part of GW. Bad news for us turn based stategy gamers.

Dawn of War is pretty cool. If you go to the website you can check out the mods that people are writing for it.

It actually went over much better than they thought it would and the expansion is in the works , adding tyrinaids ,IG, and the such. ::D:

I love RTS. Dawn of War looks real nice, and way cheaper than actually trying to complete my old Eldar force. In fact, I'm good enough at buying computer parts that doing a full upgrade and buying DoW would probably be about half the price of the miniatures for a decent force in 40K :P

For those that don't like RTS, you're right, DoW will not change your mind. At heart it is "just a Real Time Strategy" and while IMO it is an excellent example of RTS it really isn't actually groundbreaking or radically different, except in as much as there's only been a handful of really well made RTS games, and this looks like being one of them. (along with Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations)

In short, if you liked Starcraft this will probably be your cup of tea. If you hated Starcraft you will in all likelihood hate this too.

Darkstar: Sorry I couldn't warn you in time mate!

Perhaps you might like Rites of War? 40K turn based, you can pick it up cheap or for nothing and have a look. Doesn't really play much like 40K though.

Perhaps you might like Rites of War? 40K turn based, you can pick it up cheap or for nothing and have a look. Doesn't really play much like 40K though.

RoW was also a very good game, all things considered. It ran on the Panzer General engine, and as far as turn based wargames go, it was a real treat. I still install it from time to time, just for fun. Great AI, but the graphics and the fact that you can only play as the Eldar against the 'nyds and the Empire does hurt a bit.

It's a pretty good game with nice graphics, but I still prefer Warcraft 3 or Homeworld (also by the makers of DoW) over it anyday. :poke:

For me, story is just as important as graphics or playability.

Warcraft's story rocks (you can't beat Hellscream), and Homeworld's Hiigaran story is also up there with the best of them.

As for 40k, well... ehhhh... it's 40k. You can't really make the story any better due to some heavy (and sometimes cheesy) fluff restriction.

Still, I like Dawn of War. I love the way you can edit the color of your marines, just like in Homeworld! ^_^

Now, there have been other good GW-based games. Heck, I still make my computer run Final Liberation once in a while.

I am looking forward to DoW. I like the background, but I have read too much about how ground combat actually happens to accept GWs rules of warfare.

That, and tech creeping always drives me nuts. Every new book has a new race with a new widgit that will trump everything out there until the next widgit comes out.

Anyways, this isn't about complaints to GW, this is about what could be the finest RTS to come out yet. Woohoo!

--Ol' Unkie Stormhammer

Darkstar: Sorry I couldn't warn you in time mate!

No worries! I only played the downloaded demo...didn't buy the full game.

Now, I WISH I could say that for Star Wars Battlefront... ::(: If they would've released a demo for that game, I would still have the $50.00 I wasted on that pile.

I typically go for RPG's and FPS titles, so I'm no hardcore RTS fan, and not even a Warhammer table top player. However, I've been hooked on Dawn of War since getting it last weekend. Can't help but sit down, beat back wave after wave of assault, while building up my forces to go stomp the enemy. I'm on mission 7 of the campaign, and although its pretty similar to other RTS games I've played I really like how this game plays out.

I'm a little disappointed that the campaign is only 11 missions, however, I'm hopeful they'll be releasing some expansions in the near future. Haven't read about many mods so can't comment on that.

I give this game 3 thumbs up! :;):

The are mods already in the works. Funny how I don't play the game yet I still browse the other boards and forums about. Shows you how much I wanted to like this game.

The mods currently available allow you to use IG as it's own army. Pretty spiffy.

If they could make a Turn Based mod then I would be all over that.

Turning an RTS into turn-based would be really hard. But then again, the incomparable Natural Selection http://www.natural-selection.org/ turned Half-Life into an amazing first-person-shooter-RTS-thing that is frankly one of the best games ever created.

I'd suggest maybe there's a good, solid turns-based game with a 40K mod? Or are GW so zealous in TM enforcemment that they stomp on their fans and on free advertising, I wonder? I know Total Annihilation has a 40K mod but that's RTS again.

I think I've seen them playing DoW down at my FLGS, and the graphics look pretty good. I have yet to try it myself, but probably will one of these days. I personally don't have ANY games, as my computer is an old POS (as my old A+ teacher would call it) and would probably have a seizure if i tried to install any kind of decent game on it. But who knows what the future will hold...