Should Political Threads Persist?

kit

Should political threads be allowed in the future?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should political threads be allowed in the future?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who's the third-party candidate again?

Boy oh boy. Take 30 minutes to type your reply and the paradigm changes.

A separate forum on these boards is cool with me, as long as the topic is not banned I am happy. I have to agree with SOldcorn that I have gotten some good insight off of several different political threads and would hate to see that aspect of these boards disappear.

Ciao,

CE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "OFF-TOPIC" area should stay personally. It is best to keep non-mini related things separate from mini-related things. It's more than OK to come and rant on these boards about things outside the miniature world you don't like/love, etc. Just because this is a miniature related board doesn't mean everything on the Board has to stay miniature related. Every Forum I go to has an off-topic area of some kind for random postings like Off-Topic gets here. It helps people blow off steam and gives them an outlet to voice frustrations, concerns or celebrations about things in their lives.

I mean how else would we know to give LSH a hand in finding a job, or about LT's baby Nutkin, or all those jokes we like to share? What about all those recipes we keep tossing around in the "Good-Eats" thread? It is because of the Off-Topic area that we are able to share these things, and now and then some of them do span into the world of miniatures.

• Super Administrators
I guess the squeaky wheel DOES get the oil.

walks away disgusted

Clearly, one can't please all the people all the time. I'm just working for a common solution that will satisfy as many needs as possible.

Nothing's perfect.

kit

That's just it Kit, people have to have responsibility for their own actions.

If they don't like political threads no one is forcing them to read it or reply, but to try to ban political discussions because they lack the self control or maturity to discuss these things is ultimately juvenile, much like the kidnegarten teacher punishing the whole class because one child has been bad.

I always thought that the POLITICAL label should be enough.

If you don't like guns, or can't handle one, why would you pick it up and point it at your head. You don't , you simply leave it alone.

We are trying to find a way to not ban them, but make things easy on the Mods and those who dislike them, or dislike skipping them. A beekeeper forum would be as easy for someone who hates political threads to skip as the Roleplaying boards are for someone who doesn't RP.

I think it is a marveleous compromise that gives us the freedom to be unique, and satisfy the highest number of members. Personal responsibility for what you type is still there, but now those who wish to remain free of it are insulated by another level (Similar to how we link to nude minis - just a precautionary step)

I love the idea of the seperate area for political topics. I don't want to see the political discussions go. I like seeing the opinions of people like Orsino and Cadaver, as two examples, because both believe very fervently in their points of view, and defend those points very eloquently and fervently.

I like the idea that Kit suggested, i.e., a seperate political discussion forum. I'm not sure about the password protection, but definitely make it an "enter at your own risk, on pain of flame". I'm kind of with Cadaver in his statement that people have to take responsibility for their own actions, but I also think that there has to be reasonable restrictions.

IMO, it's an effective compromise. I'm sure that Cadaver doesn't post without wondering what Orsino will have to say about it, and Orsino doesn't post without wondering what Cadaver will have to say about it. Otherwise, why post a blatantly partisian tidbit? :)

That's just it Kit, people have to have responsibility for their own actions.

If they don't like political threads no one is forcing them to read it or reply, but to try to ban political discussions because they lack the self control or maturity to discuss these things are ultimately juvenile.

You are right no one is forcing them to read the thread or reply. The problem happens to be people have at times simply posted how they feel, and often what they have posted hasn't been inflammatory at all and next thing they know someone has flamed them for believing what they believe. I read a lot of these threads simply to see what was in them and have watched people get flamed for things that really were never posted to be flamed in the first place. It's this flaming for stating an opinion that causes the problem.

I have found through my meanderings through these threads that a decent percentage have ended up locked due to flaming and name calling because some people cannot follow the rules laid out in the terms of use and not post things that are inflammatory. Plain and simple something needs to be changed. Either the political threads themselves go, or they need to be in thier own area and moderated with penalties for flame throwing and mud-slinging.

Ultimately People do not post things to get flamed. But I have seen often enough the case where something is posted and then suddenly several person(s) have jumped in and given the author of the first post a bit of heck for what they believe. We are all entitled to our beliefs. We also want our beliefs at least respected even if the other people posting don't believe the same way we do. It's ok to post political opinions as long as names and other nastiness doesn't start getting slung. The problem happens to be, most of the time nastiness starts and the only way to end it is to lock the thread and delete posts - none of which I'm sure the Mods relish doing.

Kit ultimately has to do what is good for the Boards as a whole and for the Company and the community. It's part of his job. Reaper so far for this long has tolerated all of this and for that I have to give them a lot of credit. Not all boards tolerate politically charged threads that incite flames on a regular basis.

Obviously not everyone can be pleased which is why Kit tries to find compromise or at least go with the majority in this case. The fact he didn't just ban them without a polling tells me he has a lot of respect for the views and opinions of people on these boards. You will not find that in many people who run boards of this size and magnitude. Do I have to mention how some things are run over on CMON to make my point?

• Super Administrators
Well since we are discussing politics, there is cleary only one solution...

I recommend we commission a study!

The cost will be $3.6 million USD and we'll have the results back to you in 2009.

There. Problem solved!

That's funny. :lol:

Expect to see a Beekeeper forum around the end of the week.

kit

Before you go off being rude to those who don't like political threads, it's not that we can't control ourselves. Ignoring a wildly exaggerated claim or half truth (if not outright lie) is tantamount to agreement with it (IMO).

Political threads set an agenda - often critical of the other party or it's members. Therefore the thread starts out antagonistic, the only reason they don't devolve into flamefests is if the members who disagree with them remain civil. It's worse if the thread puts out claims that stretch the truth or don't tell the whole story (which is often the case).

That's a double standard in my book.

While I would like to see them removed, in reality I could care less. My post count on an internet MB means very little to me, I can just as easily leave/go back to lurking. Why people have to paint that as "stomping off mad" or throwing a "hissy fit" is beyond me. I have a real life (and I have ways of keeping in touch with the members that I care about here, if I need to)...

Although some refuse to see it, the tone of these boards has changed since the spread of political threads. It's probably easier to see if you aren't here everyday, but you have to admit it. Seriously, locked threads? Plural? That use to be a very rare thing for the Reaper boards...

In my humble opinion political topics should not be banned and if it is just for the fact that this would be censorship and therefore violate one of the key principles we (hopefully) hold dear, since the right for (more or less) free speech is one of the few improvements our so-called Western Civilization has achieved. For how long is the question, of course...

People not interested can simple avoid them by not reading them so there is no need to "protect" them from anything anyway.

Being European another important issue is to be in contact with Americans so one can discuss and maybe better understand things that happen in the USA that seem often very strange and disturbing to us over here as recent events have proven again...