Sign in to follow this  
mmmgreenstuff

Rusted Metal

I guess an easy and quick solution would be to do one or two brown washes over a metal base. Of course,t hat only really works if you want to use metallics. As for NMM, I guess you would need to do some brushwork there with different shades of a rusty brown color. Maybe mix some dark red with brown?

Depends on what you are doing.

If working with NMM, I'm not going to try because I'm not good at it.

If working with Metallic paints here is what I would do:

Basecoat in your steel color. Now, get out some brown, red and orange paint.

Thin down those three colors a bit. Take an old somewhat worn out brush and dab the brown onto the areas you want rusted. Don't cover the metallic basecoat completely. Now take a bit of the brown and red and mix them together and dab those on, not covering all of the previous brown. Now take some of the orange and mix it in with the previous mixture and dab that onto the weapon, again, not covering all of the brown or the reddish brown you have previously applied.

Please note when I say dab, try to have only a very small amount of paint on your brush so the paint applies evenly and thin. You want it to look a hair transparent, but opaque enough that after the tird color application some areas look completely like rust while others look like metal beginning to rust. Basically you have only a little more paint on your brush than you would use in Drybrushing.

Hopefully that helps.

I have two methods.

Method 1. (easiest) I find a combination of brown (GW chestnut wash is a good substitute and my preferred) and orange wash looks good. It actually works on both metallics and NMM. Keep the mixture extreemly thin and apply in layers as a little bit goes a long way. Also by varing the mixture ratio, you can vary the intestity of the rusting.

Method 2. (harder) For a more realistic look I use weathering pastels. This works best with larger scales and are the favorite amoung model rail roaders. They are like chaulks that come in 2.5 inch sticks. You can either scrap them or use a "sponge" applicator which is nothing more than a small brush size 1 or so, with a sponge like pad instead of bristles. They come in a variety of colors and are available at art stores or from Micro Mark. The great thing about using them is that if you don't like the results, you can just wipe off and do again. Once you are happy, just spray with a "fixative" or any clear flat varnish.

A set of 12 assorted earth tones goes for about $14 from Micro Mart.

Hope this helps

Ed

My preferred method (and believe me, I paint ALOT of rusty armor/weapons/scenery) is this.

1. Water down some Parasite Brown. Aka Vermin Brown.

2. Apply to part you want to look rusty.

3. Let dry.

4. Wash with Dark Brown or Sepia ink or paint. Ink is better.

5. Let dry.

6. Drybrush with Vermin Brown.

7. Touch up the edges of the rust with the base metal color to make it look more like a natural fractal rust pattern, or "growth".

Very easy, very effective on NMM as well as trad metals. Happy weathering!

Here's an image of this technique in practice..

Orc1web.jpg

You could use some orange ink washes over the shaded metals, this will give a rusty feel, and contrasts nicely with the darkened metal.

Just make sure not to overdo the effect, as it's only needed here and there, to liven the scheme a bit.

As for pastel chalks, yes, they are really good for that sort of effects.

As soon as I get more batteries for the camera I'll snap some test Mechs I applied powdered chalk to.