Jump to content

gwangi32

To Quest Beyond the Stars

Recommended Posts

Here we go again. I tried out a Traveller game some time ago and enjoyed it very much. Because an online format allows for it I am using whatever rules you wish to run this game. I will be using the history of the Traveller Universe that is in the GURPS Traveller, second edition. But characters from any incarnation of the game can be generated and I can "translate' them at my end to make interactions work. Currently, there is one player and more are certainly welcome. If you've never played and want a pregenerated character that would be fine as well. The size limit here is seven and the minimum is one. The invites are in the Gathering at "Out Among the Stars"

 

Introduction for Keira Tsiokopfski

 

The sky on Tabrize is beautiful at sunset. Of course, a jaded space traveller will claim they've seen much prettier. On Terra the colors are blazing reds and yellows, while on Ciracosi they are purple and green. Here it's all in shades of yellow. As you watch the stars are becoming visible as are the twin moons, almost directly overhead, as the "sun" dips below the edge of the world.

 

Here you are in Samirkend on the edge of Imperial Space. One of the great trade centers in the Old Expanses. Ships come in from the Hiver Federation and the buffer systems between that Federation and the Imperium. You mustered out yesterday.

 

Today you registered with the Planetary Non Resident Authority and you were notified that unless you apply for citizenship you must pay a fee of 500 credits per month, starting in 30 days when your entrance visa expires. Additionally, you are paying a handling fee on your weapons 40cr for a month, they are to remain locked in you rooms at the Fedora Valt Hotel (200cr for the month at this hotel).

 

You are sitting at a meal on a patio eating a local dish, sipping a beverage that is cool and slightly sweet. On the screen of your handheld comp the local news is yattering on about recent pirate acts in the small independant system called Korak.

 

What will you do now, with your limited cash reserve after mustering out? There are many options. The local trade files are full of day to day jobs. Some tramp freighters are hiring.

 

And here are the most promising. An expedition to explore ruins on a moon in a nearby system and an open ended engineers position. Then you get a personal message. This is a surprise, who would know you here, Tukera Lines doesn't have much of a presence and the Navy base is actually on one of the moons floating overhead. Maybe it's a virus attack or a identity thief with random programing. What will you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keiri had seen enough of an engine room for the moment. She'd return to a back pocket full of jump-wrenches soon enough, but for now the exploration job sounded quite intruiging. With luck the engineer's position would be available for a time and she could sign on after the expedition was through.

 

When the message came through it was unexpected, but not necessarily a surprise. Keiri guessed it could be a note from her hotel or another notice from the PNR Authority. The engineer took another pull of her drinking bulb and opened the message.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kieri The message is simple text. "Welcome to Samirkend. Are you looking for employment? Give Harden Street a look and check in with Zig Budgar. He might have something that would interest you. Mention this code for K1A14U."

 

And for the two new characters The sun has sunk and the lights of the city are coming on. In another part of the city two old friends are having dinner at a microbrewery style eating establishment. They had served time in the Imperial scouts together. Then one had gone off into the Merchant Service and the other had recently mustered out of the Scouts. They are discussing the name Zig Budgar, as they had recieved identical messages "Welcome to Samirkend. Are you looking for employment? Give Harden Street a look and check in with Zig Budgar. He might have something that would interest you. Mention this code for K1A14U."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ah. Junk mail." thinks Kieri and begins to pitch the message, but then stops herself. She IS looking for work. If worse comes to worse and it's a scam she'll be dignified and take it in stride....after she rents a shuttle and lands it on his office.

 

After she finishes her meal, Kieri uses her hand computer to plug into the local Library Data to see if she can dig up anything about this Zig Budgar and what sort of jobs he might be connected to....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"So ... Zig Budgar... do you know anything about him/her?" Chance ask his friend across the table as he takes another spoonful of his 'Albaraan noodles' and lets the spicy warmth fill his mouth and nose. He's hoping it will clear the creeping headcold he felt coming on when arriving on Samirkend. No matter how long he's travelled, changing climates always head straight for his sinus cavity.

 

"Maybe the waiter" (or waitress) "might know something?" ....

 

Chance looks about to see if one of the staff is nearby to ask ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could PM this info but I am assuming that each character would do a basic background check of Zig Budger

 

Whether you go to the computer info systems or use some fast talk skills it all comes up the same:

 

Mr. Budgar is a legitimate business person with ties to trade with the Hivers. He hires out crews on vessels for more than trade however, he has some wealth and has backed a few research missions. They have been lucrative in each case. He seems a lucky sort whose every endeavor makes money.

 

His place of business is in a very nice part of town and has hours from 0800 to 1800 each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hmmm." Keiri thought to herself. "This Burgar fellow just might be the person to see. Well, no time like the present."

 

The out of work Traveller got up and hailed a transport to the address in the message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well (friend's name), I'm gonna go check out what this Budgar fellow has to offer. How about you? Have any plans already?"

 

Chance leaves a good size tip for the waiter/waitress that was so kind to give him the info, and hits up a city kiosk for directions to the Budgar's office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I am posting a second time, lost the one I did yesterday. I need to know if anyone is trying to carry a weapon. This is a trade enclave world. It has a very high Law Level. Please PM me if you want to try and break the law. For the Scouts there is free gear storage at the Scout Base in Samirkend. And lodging is 10 cr a week. This is for anyone who spent at least one tour with the Scout Service and departed in good standing.

 

The only way to go anywhere fast in Samirkend for an individual is by a robot piloted private air taxi. No more than three passengers at a time. There are charter or pivately owned vehicles as well and something like a mass transit rail line for citizens. But your Nonresident Identification Tags will not allow you enterance to the FastTrains.

 

A taxi to Zig Budgar's Center of the Universe Emporium costs 15cr. The establishment is a series of buildings surrounded by a carefully manicured parkland, complete with ornamental ponds and streams and trees from at least three different planets.

 

In the Main Building, entered right where the taxi drops you off, is apparently one large room. There are four doors, besides the one you came in through. There are comfortable chairs and couches and vending machines in the room. Perhaps twenty people lounge about.

 

There is a check in computer in the center of the room. It requests that you type in a code or speak one. If you don't have a code then enter your name and what sort of work you are looking for and someone will contact you within an hour.

 

Please let me know what you plan to do. However, I will need to know on the weapons before I post again. If I don't get a PM or see something in the Gathering I'll assume you are law abiding and don't have weapons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entering or speaking the code: K1A14U are three people. One woman and two men. (This is the character group so far, please introduce your characters to one another.)

 

A doorway lights up and a pleasant voice says, "Please step this way and follow the lit pathway. Mr. Budgar is eager to meet you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[sorry...totally glossed over you wanting us to do introductions... edited to conform :) ]]

 

Keiri nods greetings to the other 'applicants', silently sizing them up, then walks down the indicated hallway. The woman is short, about 5'4", and while muscular she isn't overly stocky, though she does have some definite curve about her and an attractive face. Her black hair is short, almost a bowl-cut style with a wide strip of white on the right side. She's dressed in the local fashion, stylish but functional with extra pockets adorning her pants and translucent vest. As the trio walks, she introduces herself.

 

"Keiri Tsiokopfski." she says. "Looks like you're here for the same thing."

Edited by Niceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving down the entryway after the announcement, Chance smiles widely and extends a hand to Keri.

 

"Hi, my name is Chance! As in ... maybe I've got a?" he says, and flirtatiously raises an eyebrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If you're talking about the job," says Keiri, "then it depends on whether or not I decide to take it." She looks the flirtatious spacer up and down briefly.

 

"If you're referring to anything else. I don't think you'd survive." she said wryly, picking up her pace and walking on ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chance lets loose a soft chuckle. Watches Keiri walk away - admiring the view.

 

He catches himself and gets moving again.

 

"I can get insurance." he playfully offers.

 

=================

 

Description of Chance (which I should of done when you said - introduce yourselves) ... since a picture is worth a thousand words - I'll post a picture in The Gathering area for you to look at. ... if that's cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other scout, Seamus Bourque, follows the others quietly. He is a little insecure, based on his lack of education and social standing. The Scout service has given him a good life, and more comfort than he ever expected. Of course he had never planned on living long enough to muster out....

 

I wonder if they can detest the fibreglass dirk in my bootHe looked around...I'll obey the law and leave the guns lockered at the 'port, but I'll not be a fool and walk the streets armed only with a smile....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×