And it's not just technology... think what's being done in the world of medicine! Through technology, we can now manipulate genes... :huh:

The medicine we can now administer would have people from 500 years ago picking their jaws up off of the floor and praying to us... :blink:

And that's without all of the optical illusions we can create, especially for some like David Copperfield and David Blaine! ::D:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And latter on, we will discuss the human body. Ever just watch someone walk? And then think of the mechanics alone in that one action? The multiple muscle actions alon that take place.....The human body can make technology look like childs play!

LT

Why do you think Sony made such a huge deal out of it when they built a robot that can navigate stairs?

And did anyone see that article on CNN last week about the rat-neurons in a Petri dish that learned how to fly a flight simulator? Technology + Medicine = Scary.

CNN Story

I like watching my cats size-up a jump they haven't done before -- They take one or two measurements by getting up on their haunches and "BLAM" Airborne kitty makes a perfect landing.

It's astounding we can do anything but lie helplessly on the ground, really.

What would happen if for instance and alien being came to earth, walked up to Joe average and asked "How do you 'enter any random question here'" Unless said Alien was asking a mechanic "how do cars work" or a lawyer "how does your legal system work?" the individual most likely would not be able to answer the question.

This is what I find fascinating about our society. We can actually get things done when the average person doesn’t know squat about squat.

Think about it. A Rocket scientist knows a lot about rockets, but probably nothing about Medicine, or accounting, or building a house. It goes for anyone. The days of the "Renaissance Person" who was schooled in all aspects of human knowledge are gone. I don't think it is even possible at the present time to have a grasp on even a small percentage of human knowledge. And we are only getting started!! :blink:

So yes "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic!"

And people laugh when I say I believe that Dragons exist! :poke:

Well look at the x-ray machine! It gives you a picture of bones in just minutes! (I mention this because I got and x-ray done today) They can do a sigle finger, the whole body, amd "wham!" a picture of bones. And a MRI machine...that's just weird.....

LT

I have to say I never wondered about this stuff. Although I might not no anything about computer engineering, medicine, or heat transfer, I still understand the basic processes enough to know what's going on when I turn on the PC, or get indigestion, etc. I have a Liberal Arts college education to thank for that...

Damon.

Well I kinda know how an XRay works because I know how a camera works. Persistent RAM is a problem for me though.....

As for a car? Sequential explosions (a fuel-air mix with a spark thrown in) create a reciprocal up-and-down movement thanks to pistons aligned on a crankshaft, which is pretty simple. That results in a spinning drive, and the rest is a matter of what car when, but basically at its simplest involves a single gear and a funny-looking gear with a special name I don't remember transferring that spin to the wheel. Here's a corker though: how does the OUTSIDE of the wheel move faster than the CENTRE of the wheel ?? ??

Okay, I just need to reiterate my request for transporters.

Had to get up at 4:30 AM to drive my wife to the airport (leaving home at 5:15 AM and arriving at Logan at 6:00 AM) for a conference she has in California. Flight left at 7:30 AM. She won't arrive in CA until 5:00 PM eastern time. She'll be travelling for 12 hours. That sucks.

Oh yeah and I am very tired and cranky now too. There is not enough caffeine on the planet to keep me bright eyed and bushy tailed today. Okay, there is, but then I would also be caffeine intoxicated and borderline psychotic.

So...teleporters, please. I could have used it to beam to the airport with her, say goodbye, and then go back home and sleep for another hour. Or wait, I could have slept until about 6:30 like normal since she woudn't even have had to go to the airport at all. Or I could then teleport to work and sleep until 8:00 AM. Or...

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Many of these things we understand at least the basis of how the device wroks. Dario antena picks up signals whish are converted to electricity and then sound, AC chemicals cool air and then bloow it around then te chemicals get compressed again so they can be reused. (really rough but don't ahve time to tink and type) etc. What really dives me is wondering how people thing of these tings to make them work. Once it works it makes sense but the thought procecss to make it happen is amazing.

Many of these things we understand at least the basis of how the device wroks. Dario antena picks up signals whish are converted to electricity and then sound, AC chemicals cool air and then bloow it around then te chemicals get compressed again so they can be reused. (really rough but don't ahve time to tink and type) etc. What really dives me is wondering how people thing of these tings to make them work. Once it works it makes sense but the thought procecss to make it happen is amazing.

I'm sure a lot of stuff is invented by accident.

I seem to remember assorted stories from the discovery channel:

Erasers were invented by accident (someone rubbed a rubberball against paper with writing on it)

The glass used in cars was invented when a beaker (spelling?) was used for mixing some chemicals in fell on the floor but didn't shatter.

Kim

Well for things like air conditioners and ICE engines, the basic principles had been known for a long time before they were developed. For example, it is a well known phenomenon of physics that gas cools when released from compression (this is whty if you airbrush and use propel cans, they eventually freeze to the table)...its not much of a leap to figure out how to harness that property and develop an AC. Also, steam power had been used for decades in a piston, and the general theory of gas expansion was well enough known, that it would be a simple process to adapt to combusted gasoline as an expanding gas.

Technology is often incremental, it seems.

Damon.

Boyle's Law

For a given mass at constant temp: pressure * volume = constant

Charles Law

For a given mass at constant pressure: volume / temperature = constant

Gay Lusaac's Law

For a given mass at constant volume: pressure / temperature = constant

Which gave the Unified Gas Law

(v1 * p1)/t1 = (v2 * p2)/t2

So tweak one, but everything else stays the same, you can figure out the way pressure or volume changes temperature fairly easily.

This was in the 1700's.

It is scary what people were able to figure out during this scientific revolution.