Sign in to follow this  
shakhak

WoW

I will just wait till the release. I don't have the patience right now for the download.

Same here.

I can't deal with 20kbps downloads for 2 gigs worth of data. I was lucky enough to get an account, but a download taking 1 day and 12 hours on my broadband connection..that's just too long to go without my PC *shivers*...while it's downloading I can't listen to broadband radio, or play online games...I'm confused, usually it's no problem...I think it's the whole P2P system bogging me down. Oh well..I'll beta test it once the retail version ships. That's how pretty much how all MMORPG's are these day, once the retail version hits the shelves, that's when the REAL beta testing begins...then about 10 months later when the "patch" is released, the game is finally stable enough to play ::D: It's a shame, but meh, it's pretty much standard now.

*not to put down Bnet...I've playing on Bnet since practically day one, maybe even day one, I dunno...all I'm referring to is the current state of affairs of games being rushed to market before the holidays, and before they're finished. And definately not to put down the devs of WoW...just the marketing forces that dictate that the game be pushed out the doors before it's finished.*

950mb done. 38% completed...

Yea, it's a real shame that customers are becoming so used to the kind of service MMORPGs provide - especially since they're paying the devs so much and so regularly.

I'm a bit too cheap to buy the retail version without at least trying the game out once to see that it's worth it. Hence why I'm sitting through agony and griping. At least I have a spare laptop, so I can still surf and lurk around forums with no problems. Just no online gaming for a while, sighs. My broadband connection is being wasted on 20-30 kb/s on the desktop PC.

On the bright side, the lack of a 'puter means I'm 50% completed on a plastic lizardman saurus. Sheesh, I'm painting faster than the downloader.

I think it's the whole P2P system bogging me down.

yeah bit torrent has been known to kill your internet connection i had to make my previous roommate turn it off so i could do anything during the day that involved the internet

Mine finished yesterday and I finally got on around 8pm EST. Truly amazing looking to the game. Very Warcrafty. I only got on long enough to create a character and tooled around long enough to get killed twice. I will try it some more this evening. One thing I would like to see is mission markers on the mini map as in SWG. I cannot say enough how much better it made running missions when you actually knew where to go. I am not a big fan of trying to find waypoints for missions. I am however looking forward to trying it some more tonight. So it has my interest.

Well, I tried. Computer crashed at 47%, 1.1 gig or so, after hmm, 30 hours of being on. Restarting the downloader did not continue from where it ended. I still am short that amount of disc space, so there must be a pile of junk hidden somewhere in a temporary folder which I'll look for later.

I give up.

I don't feel like doing this all over again, only to download a patch with the same downloader, to most likely encounter major lag and latency issues.

I'll wait for the reviews and the word from the forums. I doubt they will be ready by Nov 23 if this is the state of their beta. I'm sure it's a beautiful-looking and playing game, but the stress test is showing they still have quite a ways to go to combat their lag problems.

Off to play half-life and feed my online game withdrawal.

I really don't want to sit around and wait. Connection is already slow as it is. Even the retail I'm avoiding due to cost. Already used up my money on minis...

Oh well. First Warcraft game I'll give up on.

*sniff*

Missed getting in on the "open" Beta, which "closed" just before I finished defragging my HD specifically for the game... *sigh* Just my luck.

Anyway... Looking forward to this game. I hope it lives it up to the claim of being "casual gamer" friendly. The folks on the Beta Forums are screaming about the newly implemented timesinks. What's been everyone's experience? Can a guy get away with playing this game only a couple hours a week? Saying "yes" will please me greatly. ^_^

And... anyone got a spare Open Beta Key available? I see they've opened account creation again for those with keys....

Mine finished yesterday and I finally got on around 8pm EST. Truly amazing looking to the game. Very Warcrafty. I only got on long enough to create a character and tooled around long enough to get killed twice. I will try it some more this evening. One thing I would like to see is mission markers on the mini map as in SWG. I cannot say enough how much better it made running missions when you actually knew where to go. I am not a big fan of trying to find waypoints for missions. I am however looking forward to trying it some more tonight. So it has my interest.

Hey there!

Well, something I did notice is that when you're about to complete a quest (ie: talk to the person and get the reward) once you get close to them (same zone) a marker does pop up on the mini-map in the corner leading you to them...

Yes, it does live up to the 'casual gamer' aspect. I built, played, and leveled a character to 6th level before I went to bed last night. So if you can get 6 levels in under an hour, I would call that 'Casual Gamer' friendly.

--LSH, so terribly stoked for this game.

Level six in an hour??? Thats kinda neat, alothough it leads me to think that this might develope into an overpowered world. Level 6 should at least take three maybe four hours... "Well thats it for me I made 249 level today." "Oh yeah my 369 character can create worlds by sneezing." :huh:

Hey, I'm as suprised as anyone how quickly I leveled. But the game plays well. Also: You get XP for completing quests. The current record is 950 XP for walking half-way across the world to deliver a Dwarf his axe.

Thank goodness for Hearthstones (Town Portal with a 1-hour cooldown), so I was able to blip back and get back into the action.

But I will also add the caveat of 'this was the second character, and I already knew what I needed to do'.

--LSH

I too am now at 6th level Warlock and I am having a really great time with this game. I am pretty sure the leveling up is like EQ and such where it gets progressively longer to level up as you go. It took me awhile to realize that the bar on the bottom was my XP bar. I was looking all over for how much more I had to go before I reached my next level. I am hoping with the release an in game help system will be instituted. As the help now is only to send in a bug report. I was on the fence between this game or EQ2. I think I will be a WOW initiate for awhile.

Med, I think the middle of the XP bar shows exactly how much you have to go in a (accumulated)/(To Level) format.

I've also been told that the amount of XP you get per kill will also go up. 100XP seems a boat load at 6th level, but at 60th it would barely be noticable.

Once I get the Retail Version, I'll post what my server is.

Bah! Warlocks! Go the proper route and become a Mage. The power is within you! (that, and teleport spells sounds like a blast.)

--LSH, yes, he's going to build a Human Paladin named 'Stormhammer'.

Ahh young grasshopper we can teleport others. :) Besides who could say no to having an imp tag along with you? Same here once it goes gold I will post my server as well.