Newbie Info.....

HANZO

Im pretty new to CAV bit love it already. Im trying to find out any info about the new CAV 2 because im holding off a bit till i know what im going to be getting into in the future. Iv read all the interviews on mil net and others about CAV 2 and was wondering.

How does the price of metal cause a company to create a new paper product??? Im sorry but that sounds weird.....i could see if they said that the new rules used less units per point so less units were needed or the new minis are smaller because of price....but metal prices causeing a change in a paper product seems a bit weird to me.......

any one got a bit more info on this??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The price of metal increasing means they have less funding to divert to pay for the time needed for someone to work on two game engines.

You have X funding, and it takes 1/4X man-hours to make a game. Suddenly pewter jumps from 1/3X to 2/3X. You now have 1/3X left over to fund 1/2X worth of development. However, it only takes 1/10X to adapt a new game from a developed and tested game engine. 1/4X +1/10X is less than 1/3X, so you can slip in under the total X available this way.

The numbers were pulled from thin air, btw.

Thanks...but that didnt make to much sense in the context to me.........if you got less funds wouldnt you stick with something proven...than venture into new groung at a higher price...its more of a risk on a new game now than when metal was cheeper.....and people like me that were about to drop some cash on the game are more stand offish now ........ instead of buying all the books and a lot of figs all im willing to risk is buying a used copy of the main book online....buying a few basic CAVs and sit on em and wait to see what will still be accurate in 2.0.....

What I think it comes down to is its just easier and less time consuming to develop a single game system then multiple systems. Reaper is just following in the foot step of what other companies (WotC and White Wolf) have done. For example, when WotC created the D20 system D&D, it took them 4 years (that's not the actually time but Just a wild @$$ guess to illustrate my point). With just slight modifications to the D20 system WotC was able to turn out D20 modern in under a year. They save countless bucks in R&D by using the same system. Also having a single game system means less new rules to learn. If you already know how to play D&D you should be able to quickly learn how to play D20 Modern, which makes the game more attractive to consumers and more likely to be purchased.

Back to CAV, if you are planning to get into CAV 2.0 I'd still recommend purchasing the rulebook and the two JoRs. The majorite of these books are fluff. And Reaper has already start that the basic history won't change... but it will evolve and continue to grow.

Also you might want to check out Warlord since it is using the same system that CAV 2.0 will be using. Which is a pretty good system... my only concern is how are they going to translate the different model types (leader, heroes, grunts, and etc.) in to CAV. I'm hoping it will determined by the pilot/wizzo upgrade and not the indivual models them selves.

These are all very good point to switch to a new universal system........but still dont see how any of could have come about by the price of metal going up.......

Its like saying the price of sheet metal is going up so all new cars will have factory installed satalite radios.......sure sounds great...but how did one lead to the other.......

I mean one way or the other im on board and am getting a few CAV and a book or so.....im just waiting till i see what im getting in to......i mean iv been screwed over by every other company out there already in this area.......had rougue trader......nope now its second ed. oops now were using 3rd edition.....i got all new books and all every time....just not willing to add to my OOP and usless pile of books quiet yet. Especially now that its not just pocket change and summer job money i put into my games now.

I'm pretty sure that the new edition of CAV was planned well before the price of tin went up. I'ts not a fair comparison to say that the two are related. ::):

It really makes a lot of sense for Reaper to switch CAV over the R.A.G.E. game engine. It's simpler to learn one game system than it is two. It's simpler and cheaper to produce one game system than two. It makes life simpler for us Black Lightning demo guys, we don't have to know two game systems.

At some point in the not too distant future Reaper can take the awesome R.A.G.E. game engine and make all kinds of cool tabletop wargames. An infantry skirmish sci-fi game ala Warlord is in the planning stages. There's rumors of a space combat game that could be played with the R.A.G.E. system.. It goes on and on.

So, the switch to CAV 2.0 doesn't really have anything to do with the price increase on the mini's. ::):

Hope this helped. ::):

I'm pretty sure that the new edition of CAV was planned well before the price of tin went up.

I can confirm that it wasn't. Reaper folks were still talking 1st edition plans when we got the news about their price increase. Based on the timing I'd say it was the final nail in the coffin. Of 1st Ed. that is, not CAV. :poke:

To me, although that is a valid question, the real issue is not how metal prices affect the paper part of the gaming company. If they want to come out with new fluff, new text, and new rules to match the RAGE system that will help the game going into the future, well then thats all well and good, and probably commendable.

My problem and questions has nothing to do with that.

MY problem has to do with what seems to have been a call for complete stoppage in the production of new CAV minis. Just cause the tin is more expensive doesnt mean that we wouldn't be buying it.

They can take their time in getting the new rules to us to make sure that it is just right before releasing. But, since the artists doing the CAV minis are not the same artists doing thefantasy minis, producing CAV minis should not take away from Warlord's growth. And we aren't expecting the dozen or two dozen new minis per month that the fantasy lines seem to be enjoying. We would be happy with 1 or 2 new ones per month. Personally, I don't think that is too much to ask for.