Halfling mage

ironmani

I have yet to see a gnome model that I like (from any company.)  They always look like goofy hobbits.  (I assume that's thanks to the Dragonlance archtype.)

Halfling models are hit and miss, and very few have truly impressed me with that "I must have this model NOW!" feeling.

Reaper is doing an exceptional job with their dwarves though.  I seldom play dwarves personally, but that obsessive compulsive need to add them to my collection has struck with nearly every dwarf mini Reaper has cast of late.  Their elves are also getting much more to my likeing, and I expect I'll be adding more of those frootie-licious goodie-goodies to my collection sooner rather than later.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've passed all your comments onto our humble Art Ninja, Talin. :-)

This one has gone to Sandra Garrity for sculpting. His release is scheduled for March.

The rabbit is indeed included. :-) We insisted upon it. :p

ReaperIvy

(also digs the glasses)

Great concept sketch!  I love off-the-wall stuff and I'll have to get him now.

I'm not totally sure where the idea of the slender 'fit' halfling came from. Some people have pointed at kender, who do resemble small elves from their agile build to their pointed ears. But personally wise 3rd ed halfling resemble kender only to a moderate extent. 3rd ed halfling seem to me to be a heck of alot more worldwise and mean than any kender. There is some resemblance to the 'afflicted' kender, who have lost the childlike innocence and in some cases can be vengence driven and/or just plain out evil in nature though.

But overall I think it has alot to do with the insane health craze these days. I mean how many skinny or fat characters do you see?  Everyone is a muscle-bound mesomorph anymore and I think WotC is pushing for that concept under the assumption that it sells better. So therefore the 'fat' halfling is out and the 'fit' halfling is in. The new pics of female halfling are just plain weird to me. The term 'sexy' and the term 'halfling' just don't seem to fit together in the same sentence. And the idea of halflings wearing shoes, a halfling with shoes is like a fat elf or a beardless male dwarf- that's not a halfling, it's a kender...

But I can see some variation. Like humans I'd think you'd see different sorts of halflings. Like the actors playing Frodo, Merry, and Pippin are more slender while the guy playing Sam is more husky. To me Sam seems to be more the typical halfing or hobbit.

Ok, ok, I'll stop rambling now...

Though to disagree with Morg    :p The only gnomes I like are the DL tinkers, every other sort seems to be stunted dwarvies. I mean what's the point of playing a gnome if you're going to play him exactly like a dwarf???

This one has gone to Sandra Garrity for sculpting. His release is scheduled for March.

ReaperIvy

(also digs the glasses)

Woo hoo!!

My favorite Sculptress AND the rabbit !!

*bounces happily*

I can't wait to get my hands on this guy.

Regarding skinny halflings:

I recall waaaaaay back in the basic Dungeons & Dragons book (the ones with the Earl Otus covers), the halflings were slim and muscle bound, but did NOT wear shoes.

I think it was in the "Advanced" book (the blue cover) that had a picture of a pretty fighter kneeling down to talk to a halfling warrior.  His hand was on his sword, and his other was on the hip.  The look on his face was sort of a growly attitude-rich "R YOU TALKIN" TO ME???!!! I see your lips movin', but I don't think you're talkin' to me!!!"

I'm not really sure when D&D Halflings turned into Hobbits, but it stuck for a long time.  Kender were sort of a combo Halfling-hobbit IMO.

Face it, who wants to play a fat baldling cleric.... wait a minuite... my last character was just that!!  Oh, never mind....  :;):

In the first two printings of Original D&D (I think it was the first two printings), halfings were referred to as hobbits. That was changed in the third printing to halfings because TSR was sued due to copyright infringement. Same thing with the treemen, who were originally called Ents in the OD&D books.

I have a copy of the 6th printing. I'd love a copy of the original 1st printing, but these days those are going for about $1.000.00 US or more.

Ok maybe I was wrong then, I have a little 1st ed stuff but really didn't start gaming in earnest till 2nd ed. Thoughout hight school and college I never could find a group and everytime I tried to put one together everyone would screw around one or two sessions and then things would fall apart  :(

I just assumed that halflings had always been chunky. Since they did start as hobbits with the copyright filed off I figured they'd just changed the name and kept everything else the same.

Kender were in fact a definate attempt to do something different and break from the LotR setting. Which I do find kinda odd since DL elves and dwarves are but identical to the LotR sort. I was thinking in TTT how you could swap out Legolas for Githanas and/or Gimli for Flint and never tell the difference. Anyway kender always wore shoes and since 'The Hobbit' had sterotyped halfling as rogues kender were designed to fit the burglar role but not to be thieves aka kleptomanics who steal without any evil intent. The whole concept of merging halfling with kender in 3rd ed I consider a big mistake, I prefer them as two separate races...

Okay, relaying question from LSH, who is w/o internet at this time.

Is the bunny attached to the halfling or is this a two piece mini?

thanks gang,

cbs

Hi LadyStorm!

Tell LSH that I will do my ivyest to persuade Ron to eek that information out of Sandra. :-)

ReaperIvy

ReaperIvy

(also digs the glasses)

Woo hoo!!

My favorite Sculptress AND the rabbit !!

*bounces happily*

I can't wait to get my hands on this guy.

oooo I definately concur....This one is just begging for that "Garrity touch" Although I'd really be interested in seeing Bobby Jackson's take on it, considering my fondness for his latest work (the Templar Lightbringer from the Warlord line).

Say, there's a question.  Will he be a DHA fig?  Or wil he be in the Warlord line?