Sign in to follow this  
Saint of Sinners

Axe and Hammer Tavern

I like to take a Fulumbar with 10 piercers. That gives you the possibility of volleying in two different directions! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! :devil::devil::devil:

Why is this possible? Sorry, still new to Dwarves and Warlord.

I like to take a Fulumbar with 10 piercers. That gives you the possibility of volleying in two different directions! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! :devil::devil::devil:

Why is this possible? Sorry, still new to Dwarves and Warlord.

For a volley attack you must have 5 or more archers and they all need to have Volley. Piercers do have volley, so in this case you would put them into two lines, with 5 each, and declare two seperate volley attacks.

I must say though it seems that volley is especially helpful for dwarves. It may be due to the short range. Dwarves really are very dangeorous over short distances. As Gimli said dwarves are natural sprinters ::D: . (at least its true in Warlord)

So, I've only run through a single demo (with Dwarves and won, but it's a demo so I suspected I would) and one 500pt game (with a borrowed Dwarves army, which I won against Reptus), but I'm already addicted.

That day I purchased the boxset and 6 Piercers, and today I purchased 3 Shieldmaidens, Fulumbar and Thorvald. And I had the LGS order me another blister of Shieldmaidens (the one I took was his last) and Freja.

And I've already converted one of my boxset Warriors into a Gargram (though I plan on buying him too). Changed it to a double-headed axe and kept his horns on, but shaved the horns off the other warriors that had them (2 or 3 I think).

I just wish all of my bases were consistent -- I much prefer the 1" square ones with the recess over the square-with-round-edges ones. I know I can buy them, but I think I'm just going to live with whatever comes in the blisters.

Fellow Dwarves .. I have a request:

I've only been able to find one example of a Totem of Battle for us. It is astounding, but I'm wanting to see some more, or at least hear some ideas.

Plus, I suppose I should ask, how often and at what point level do most of you decide to use Totems?

...when I realized that I had 105 points worth of lesser magical weapons in my list. I punched myself and added in the Totem.

Fellow Dwarves .. I have a request:

I've only been able to find one example of a Totem of Battle for us. It is astounding, but I'm wanting to see some more, or at least hear some ideas.

Plus, I suppose I should ask, how often and at what point level do most of you decide to use Totems?

Mine is a rock on a giant base (2", I think?) with the runes of my avatar carved into it.

I almost always take a totem, if I can fit it in.

My totem uses reaper's Treasure Horde II. It's not a statue of the mt. god... I took a literal approach to the line in the rules that says "the most important part is to have fun." So I decided that dwarves generally have a thing going for treasure hordes, and I figured that if one was on the line they'd probably fight extra hard to make sure it stayed safe. Once the new dwarf warlord comes out (soon!) my plan is to re-paint King Thorgram as a statue and add him to the treasure pile :D

Ranzadule's got the right idea. In battleforces where you want to boost the MAV by so much that it's cost effective to include a totem, then go for it. I've been fielding a totem for no better reason than the fact that I don't have enough models to fill 1000 points - so putting 100 towards a MAV boost was a good idea. So I guess that's another reason to put a totem in.. probably not the best reason, but you do what you can with what you've got I guess!

I have found that having a totem can help you to continue to put bodies on the ground even when you're getting smacked around and you lose enough models that getting adequate support is a problem. That +1 really does help more than you'd think, so unless your army is built around either range or high point models, I'd say go for a totem. Especially in a swarm type army that +1 spreads out among a lot of figures and nets you alot more offensive power.

this is just an assumption but I would guess that a totem would be particularily nasty in a large game. Which would be why its cost is a percentage not a pre set amount.

I've only had the chance to play twice now, the first time with borrowed armies and borrowed lists. Both at around 500pts, IIRC.

Now that I have my own army (still getting some more things), I'm finally getting a chance to play soon. Here is my first 1000pt list for Dwarves:

Total Points: 993

Troop A

Fulumbar Ironhammer

Divine Favor

Greater Magic Armor

Ivar Silverfist

Bandage x4

Mountain God’s Breath

Piercers x6

Warriors x3

Troop B

Freya Fangbreaker

Lesser Magic Armor

Shieldmaidens x9

Troop C

Thorvald Clawhelm

Force Extras

Totem of Battle

Troop A Musician

Troop B Musician

So, fairly simple plan. I originally had Margara in the list instead of Ivar, but decided to go with healing over offensive spells for a nice balance to the list. Dropping Bandages on Thorvald, Fulumbar or Freya when needed is going to make them stick around longer and make them a real pain in the arse. I went with the Totem of Battle as well because the Shieldmaidens are going to be downright sick with MAV 4, not to mention Thorvald's MAV going up to 5.

I would have liked to have the Piercers at 9, but all I have now are the 6, so the warriors are playing guardian and filling points.

Anything particularly wrong with this list? Have I broken any composition rules? Like I said, first list I've really sat down to create myself.

I've only had the chance to play twice now, the first time with borrowed armies and borrowed lists. Both at around 500pts, IIRC.

Now that I have my own army (still getting some more things), I'm finally getting a chance to play soon. Here is my first 1000pt list for Dwarves:

Edit

So, fairly simple plan. I originally had Margara in the list instead of Ivar, but decided to go with healing over offensive spells for a nice balance to the list. Dropping Bandages on Thorvald, Fulumbar or Freya when needed is going to make them stick around longer and make them a real pain in the arse. I went with the Totem of Battle as well because the Shieldmaidens are going to be downright sick with MAV 4, not to mention Thorvald's MAV going up to 5.

I would have liked to have the Piercers at 9, but all I have now are the 6, so the warriors are playing guardian and filling points.

Anything particularly wrong with this list? Have I broken any composition rules? Like I said, first list I've really sat down to create myself.

Speaking as a pointed-eared, flower-eating elf type, you might want to swap out some of the bandaids for blesses. You can probably get 5 piercers around your cleric without trying to do weird LOS, and that plus to RAV could make a huge difference. It's a cheap spell that improves archery greatly.

Said said, with all those archers, why not join us?

Also, I believe that your army is very high in trencher. Your warriors and SMs may be helped greatly by some glaives behind them, even if you have to drop a shield maiden or warrior to do so.

Can a long-bearded, ale-swilling Dwarf player confirm my thoughts? :) (If only they could make ale out of flowers... Then at long last, the petty bickering between our two races could be calmed. :lol: )