Killer

deflagratio

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People used to play this game with ping pongs back when I was in college.

The only problem they had was when some idiot who should have been "killed" started running around and screaming for help to keep from getting "killed". Since there are people who don't know about the game, that caused some problems.

Was this a SJ game? Or is it "public domain" now? I never remember it being associated with them...

Heh.

Yeah, I played this in high school in the early 80's (yes, it's a Steve Jackson game, I still have my rulebook) and yes, it causes problems (especially running around with water pistols filled with food coloring and ruining perfectly good Big Gulps with mayonnaise). Especially during this day and age with paranoid people and police (say that three times really fast) you'll more than likely end up in a world of pain. Even back in the day, my friends and I were playing outside with cap guns that looked very real and the police stopped by to "have a chat with us." We would have been in huge trouble had not one of my friends had a lawyer for a father.

I found out from a friend of mine that he was sneaking around campus wearing all black and carrying two boffer weapons (he was bored) and a campus police officer spotted him and then asked him if he was playing a wargame and my friend replied yes. The officer just drove off. So I figure if we were to tell them about it that it could be worked out.

Then it's a matter of each individual security officer/policeman and whether they believe it's a real wargame or if the person is just saying that in order to be allowed to go on and blow up a building. Some would err on the side of caution.

Unless you're on your own property, I would advise against playing this game. If you're in your own home, or own a large amount of land where playing this game wouldn't constitute some paranoid civilian calling 911, then go for it. Then, also, you could use paintball guns (which means if you hit your target there's a definitive mark).

My favorite style of playing was by subtlety. Flavored lip gloss. Nasty colored nail polish. Offering to buy someone a soda then dumping mayo in it (works well if there's a straw involved) or dumping some nasty, harsh flavoring into someone's coffee/drink.

Then there's the one thing a friend of mine did. He gathered a whole lot of little hole punches, wrote BOOM on each one and, with the help of a parent allowing said person into the target's room, strategically put the confetti on top of the blades of his target's ceiling fan. As soon as the fan started... WHOOSH!!

Those were the kinds of games we played. :ph34r:

SOOOOO much fun!! :wub:

Yeah, I played this in high school in the early 80's (yes, it's a Steve Jackson game, I still have my rulebook)....

My impression is that people were playing something like it long before Steve Jackson Games existed, and that SJG merely codified it.

Anyone know for sure? The Killer discussion board on Pyramid seems to have gotten no recent traffic.

Like almost every other reply to this thread, I also played this game in college in the early 90's. I was in the Gaming Club at the local JC and the club hosted a campus wide Killer game that actually worked out really well, it was a fund-raiser for the American Lung Association and was held in conjuction with the Great American Smoke Out that was held that semester. It was great fun for a good cause and people had a wonderful time hunting down and killing each other with water pistols, water ballons, or some other device to hold and spray water. The big thing in our game was collateral damage, none was allowed - you could not get other students wet, only your target.

With the current political environment, I don't know if college students would appriciate a game where the object is to hunt down and kill your fellow students, let alone the school administration's misgivings in a post-911 world.

Good luck though, this game can be great fun.

Cheers,

CE

Played a game of it on my college campus as well. Got great stories about it ;)

I'm trying to convince the guys here at work to get a game going, just something really, really down low... things like, stickers, buzzers, etc. More of a silent assassin type thing than something as extroverted as a "gun". Trick is to get them without being caught in the process. Things like, a sticky note concealed under their coke can, with the game logo and codeword for 'poisoning". things like that. Alas, they're all chickens. :)

We did this at college as well, granted this was 10 year ago. We called it assassin. Same basic premise. You have a contracted killing. Kill him. You get his target. Last man standing wins. Campus police hated it. Professors hated it, because even though classrooms were banned, people would stalk in the hallways and stairwells. I had a target once, chased him down to the dorm (dormitories were safe locations, no shooting in buildings), but he couldn't get the door unlocked, so I pointed the gun at him to shoot, apparently the battery in it died so nothing came out. He bolted. I chased. He got to the other door, I pulled out my non battery backup piece and got him square in the bean :)

Campus police was not happy when we had giant boffer weapon melees in the middle of the quad either. 10-20 people matches.

We played this with a huge assortment of weapons. Soft rubber knives, water guns, dart guns, air-soft guns, poison, bombs, etc..etc.. it was awesome.

The only rules were we couldn't acyually tamper with their cars mechanically or electronically and workplaces were off limits. We took Polaroids of each other and if you accepted a sanction on someone you simply took their picture down off the bulletin board hanging at our "gaming house". If your picture was gone you knew it was game-on. My prefered weapons were bombs and my air-soft Berretta 93-R. :devil: