CAV 2

tabascojunkie

I will submit my application when(if) the second batch of openings are announced.

Ok, after a PM from Chrome I have decided to throw my hat in the ring after all.

I have to talk to my group and see if they are interested, not to mention actually reading in-depth my copy of Warlord ::(::blink:

I will send my e-mail to Matt as soon as I have all the information, and I will try to get the peeps to register here as well. ::D:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, could we get an rough overview of the new options/changes to the game? Artillery strikes were already mentioned, anything else?

umm well lets see... its Faster to Play, It has lots and lots of new options, but no in a way that will overwhelm you. Fully compliant with the no mini left behind concept...ohh wait that was no child left behind, never mind....I would tell you about Arty strikes but you said they were already mentioned.... ::P:

Mad Pat

when you say "Faster to Play", I instantly think yeah bigger battles more minis. But how much faster ? (how much bigger battles ? how many more minis ?)

No kidding. Even if you were only firing one weapon you still had at least two dice to match up on a regular attack roll. Color matched dice helped, but if people didn't roll the same colors then you had to do it over again. . .

For those who have played, I have the following questions:

1) Do models still have multiple weapon systems or have they been reduced to a single attack value?

2) Is Target Lock Still a part of the game mechanic?

3) Is Defensive Fire still a part of the game mechanic?

I don't know a ton, but the tidbits that I have gotten is that you can expect to rethink how you pick and strategize with CAV units.

1. It is reduced to the 2 action sequence like Warlord, instead of the current 3 actions phases of CAV 1. Although, there will be some form of run and fire special move.

2. There will no longer be any Hard/Soft modifiers... or at least not in the way that we know it currently.

3. Although I did not get to hear the details of it, I have heard something to the matter that IDF will be a lot more powerful.

4. It is still the fact that you can do direct fire or indirect fire on a turn but not both.

5. I have heard a couple things related to both infantry and gunships, but not sure if I am allowed to say yet as they were still in heavy testing at the time when I heard this info, and I could give completely wrong info now.

6. Yes, target lock and defensive fire are still a part of the game. But, it will be against set numbers, instead against the other player's die rolls. ARM values will be changed for all units to offset this difference. Possible example, Rhino's current ARM value of 4, will probably go to like a 9 or 10 under the new rules (complete guess here as I dont know). Now the attacker''s modified roll has to beat the 9-10 instead of the 4 + die roll. Obviously, the Rhino is a heavily armored CAV, not all ARM values would change that high.

Unlike Warlord, i'm not going to create a private beta testing forum. If you want to talk about CAV2 on this forum go ahead (yall too Tabasco and Darksoul).

So how much specific info will we be allowed to give?

Just wanna be sure that I dont give out to much info, if I get in that is.

1) Do models still have multiple weapon systems or have they been reduced to a single attack value?

1) Yes (sort of)

2) Yes (sort of)

3) Yes

• Reaper User

1) Yes (sort of)

2) Yes (sort of)

3) Yes

just to expand because i know matts busy this is all from memory so may be slightly off :P the way multiple weapons is handled is that if you have say two gun arms (like most cavs) then you have two attacks at your RAV value. direct missle pods are an extra attack that you can take if you dont move, or run and gun (run and gun is a very interesting concept ill touch on it later) and of course indirect missle packs are still just that and also use your listed RAV. run and gun allows you to move while taking 1 shot with a negative modifier using 1 action ( you get two actions per round as per warlord) so with that you could run and gun out of cover shoot at something and then move back into cover works out to be a very interesting.

target lock if i remember correctly came up mainly when shooting things that were out of your base range (yes if you can manage the modifiers you can shoot nearly across the board)

defensive fire works just like defensive strikes in warlord

and of course indirect missle packs are still just that and also use your listed RAV.

Ok, thats right, I remember that Pat had told me how they were more powerful, but I couldnt remember the specific.

So, translated what that means is that your current CAVs, like Dictators, Assassins, Knights, etc..) that have those throw away IDFs (launchers that are so weak you would prefer to get rid of them to lower your point cost) now fire at the SAME RAV level of their other guns.

Like I said in my post changes like this can completely change the way you go about creating your TO&E.