CAV 2

tabascojunkie

Can we please not have this turn into another "Warlord killed Cav. -- No, it didn't." thread?

There has been a lot of good information sharing and bean-spilling going on here and I would hate to see it hijacked by disgruntled detractors and zealous supporters going at one another's throats. There were delays. Things appear to be getting back on track now. Let's move on. If you want to rant about ReaperTime, please do it someplace else (I did ::D: ).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's part of what I like about CAV. You don't have two turns of almost nothing but jockeying for position going on a la 40k. With the Ranges and movement speeds that CAV models posess, you're very likely going to be very well-engaged during the first turn even if you start in opposite corners of a 4' x 6' board. I enjoy that the action is fast paced from the get-go, and it also makes deployment much more of a factor.

I see your point but I feel I'd need a table larger than my appartment to get full value from my fast units.

I like the fast pace and action from 1st turn (it's a big part of what makes CAV great). But movement values could be a little lower IMO, since not everyone has the huge tables needed

I tend to think of my fast units more as scouts and quick responders. They're able to engage threats that it may take a turn or two for your heavier hitters to get close to, as well as use ECCM and Chain lock pods to help bring in an accurate barrage of indirect fire.

Here is what I understand so far about movement and ranges, and I know its not much but:

with CAV 1, MM values are listed on the card in terms of full turn values, ex. Rhino = 8, StarHawk VI = 24, etc..

With CAV 2, MM values will be listed based on Action values, that is to say each unit has 2 possible actions, so it would be Rhino = 4, StarHawk VI = 12, meaning that if you used both of your actions to move, then you still can move the same ranges as before. You just cant do the thing of move 1/4 of the movement with your first action and then move 3/4 with your second...

But, since many people will opt to fire some in there, movements overall will end up going down some.

Now, I do NOT know whether or not the movement values of CAVs and TANKS will get augmented to offset this change.

But, I have heard that SOME of the gunships will be such that whatever there current CAV 1 MM is, will also be the same for their CAV 2 MM on the card (affectively doubling their movement from the current if they choose not to fire)...

Probably due to this MM factor, another thing learned related to gunships is that back to that whole Warlord idea of you have to have a captain to have adepts, well the same kinda thing here in that you have to have some form of CAV platoon to be able to field gunships. You can't just have gunships by themselves (unless specific scenario rules say so)...

What you will see with movements is that speeds will be close to what they are now, Mini's will move quickly to engage, then slow down once the shooting starts.

Then it will be down to maneuvering for the good shots.

You will learn quickly that you do not i repeat do not want to stand in one place and shoot all day long. Movement is life!

Mad Pat

Range increments? Is the progression linear (12" 24" 36" etc) or exponential (5" 10" 20" 40")? Are they the same for all models (like Cav 1 +1 if under 12", -1 if Beyond 24") or do different weapons have different range increments (like d20)?

As far as for game cross-pollinization you will eventually see warlord-scale infantry models for AICOM (if you hit the old greens I think we've already seen sculpts for maybe three or four of them). As far as Cav's and vehicles in that scale, check out Hellion Productions, though I believe both of the previously released models are currently sold out.

As far as defensive modifiers for moving go, it would not be something unusual to see in a Mecha game. Heavy Gear actually does this very well. However, I'd be concerned about too many modifiers on rolls. I would think maybe you'd have to move above your basic speed value (via taking two move actions, the aforementioned run-n-gun plus a move action, or some other sort of special action) in order to get such a defensive modifer.

Another way to handle this would be to actually grant a bonus to hit targets that were stationary during their last activation. That way you'd only be modifying one end of the equation (the roll) instead of both the die roll and the target number.

So, how did yesterday's alpha testing go?

testing at the asylum is every 2nd Saturday, not 3rd Saturday.

As far as movement mods for defense, after long thought and analysis, have to admit that CAV is not built to be able to have it.

And I am one that comes from a Battletech background where I regularly took small zippy hover tanks and annihlated people with big slow beasts because they could never hit me.

It took a long time to convince me of this, but the truth of the matter is that with CAV's system of people completing full turns when you card is flipped over, you just cant have move mods in there.

People already have such a huge benefit of winning init, by the fact that they can move in a kill you before you have had a chance to move.

It would be too much benefit, to then turn around and say when the opposing player gets his card flipped, he now gets to shoot back at you, but oh by the way because you went first you get and extra defensive bonus that he has to deal with.

Or if there were multiple people, then you would be dictating who be fighting who based solely on again who had already had their card flipped and gotten the mods verses who had not moved yet and so were still fair game so to speak.

No, as much as I love movement mods in the Battletech, they just would not work in CAV.