Primers

Mengu

OK, let's start more shop-talk:

Primers, my personal fav: Krylon White Spray Primer. It goes on thin, it drys amazingly quick, and from white, I can paint any color.

I use Rustoleum. Nice Primer, comes in Grey or White, and costs $2.27 at AC Moore.

Actually, I am tending to spray everything white. I went into "Grey Primer mode" for a while, but I am finding I am getting better results faster by white primering. Even my orcs, painted in Reaper Troll Flesh and a lot of blacks and greys (Anita metallic black, Appel Barrel black, and Anita Charcoal), were easier to do primered white than primered grey.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prime white. Then I take my black paint, water it down a little (1:1), and put it in all the cracks and crevices, as well as shadows.

Nice tip. I like it. I do it already, sort of. I tend to blackwash minis - I like dirty, nasty-looking folks when I paint. So, I started to blackwash my freshly-primered minis to bring out the details when I paint. What I have not done is deliberately use it to cover the white primer in the cracks and crevices. I will be trying that next, before I paint up all of those Bakarathi I just bought.

And, I tend to use white as I think it's easier to see the details of the figures with the lighter color.

Heck, I now file down mold lines and trim flash once, then spray primer the minis with white to highlight any mold lines I may have missed in my quest to rid the mini of them. Then I re-file and re-primer.

It helps to go light on the first primer coat if you do this.

No, Frosh. You're only a devient if you're the only one doing it. I for one do a basic black ink wash over all the metal bits I'll be painting. Then I dent to do large areas of color (robes, shields, blouses), then the faces, continuing with any skin, then the hair, then drybrush all applicable surfaces, then if I'm not sick of the mini yet, I'll do detail work.

--lstormhammer