Sign in to follow this  
Enchantra

Grandma may not make it.

Well we all thought Grandma was on the mend, she had been given her own room yesterday and was out of ICU. Apparently though somewhere along the line today things took a turn for the worse.

A blood clot has formed in her lungs. Her congestive heart failure is now extreme, and her breathing is very labored. The Doctor gives her mere hours. She has been put on a morphine drip for comfort.

I am currently caring for a few things here at home and contacting the necessary people, then I will be heading back to the Hospital once more.

So far I seem to be taking this better than most of my Family members, but that is how I am. I will be strong for them and then later I will have my cry. Anyways, just wanted to let you all know what was going on.

Best of luck, it's hard, but you can make it

I know, there's nothing you can say to make someone feel better. Well, you could make squirrel noises, but sometimes that backfires, and the cat chases you around the couch.

--LSH

Best of luck, it's hard, but you can make it

I know, there's nothing you can say to make someone feel better. Well, you could make squirrel noises, but sometimes that backfires, and the cat chases you around the couch.

--LSH

You know LSH, I really wish you were here right now. As soon as my sister gets here and grabs my little cousins, me and Mom are back off to the Hospital.

I could use a shoulder to lean on now and then. I may be a tough nut to crack usually, but even I have my breaking points.

I am sorry to hear this. It is so good that you are there for your parents right now. My family had a year like this three years ago and we were never so happy to ring in the New Year. We figured it had to be better than the last.

God Bless

I am sorry to hear about this turn of events. My prayers are with you and your family. I know how hard this can be. Dont forget to take some time for yourself to deal with this.

Alright I came back home to stay with my Mom, because she needs my support. Dad is spending the night up at the Hospital with his siblings. I took him a sandwich and several cans of Coca Cola.

Here is the update.

They increased the morphine, and her breathing has become more labored. It's only a matter of time. I said my goodbyes to her. Now I am home, allowing her 6 children to be with her tonight in case she doesn't see morning. The Hospital has been incredibly helpful so far today. Knowing things are nearing the end they brought in trays of cookies, tea, coffee, chips and other edibles for the family members to eat so people didn't have to go far.

She is the only Grandmother I have ever known. My Mother's Parents were gone by the time my Mom was 19.

So far I think the only reason why Grandma has held on this long is because she is one tough stubborn pure blooded German lady.

All I pray now is that she goes as painlessly and as fast as possible.

She is 85, and has lived a full life and outlived three Husbands. The first one died of causes no one has ever discussed. The second died during WWII, and the third was the Grandfather I always knew who she had five of her 6 children by.

She sounds like a wonderful lady E. My heart goes out to you and your family and you'll all be in my prayers tonight.

I truly wish I had some words of infinite wisdom for you.. But the best I can do is a virtual hug *HUG*

Alright here is the best update I can give this morning.

Dad came home at 3 AM because he could no longer hold vigil as he has been very sick himself.

No phonecall has come in yet meaning Grandma managed to make it through the night. I will probably head up later.

Overall I hope your Grandma pulls through, but under the circumstances I hope she doesn't suffer.

My grandmother is 82 & a couple of years ago she was hit YES hit by a car (#&*!&@*&~:grr: !!!!!) while she was crossin a street, but she is a strong woman, she had broken bones & her right shoulder/arm isn't what it use to be but damn she is a strong human being ( I guess being born in the South (Tennessee actually) has it's advantages ::D: + she is a stocky build person). She is & will always be a important person in my life, wether it's my childhood memories with her or to where she watches my little one (2 years old) for awile so I can catch a little bit of sleep when I come home from work or whatever. I don't know what I or my family would do with out her.

Hang in there, Enchantra & just remember all the great memories you've had & will have with her to get you through these extremely tough times .

Randy M