Spike

"It's not easy being green"

If I remember correctly, the CP 4 is only if the model doesn't have it's own inherent CP to begin with. For example, a normal sgt has no CP, so for purposes of using War Cry, he has a 4. ^_^

Besides, I don't really play Reven. They're not as good as my Dwarves and Thorvald!! ::P:::P:::P:

Wild Bill :blues:

Also, keep in mind that Warcry is cast by Reven leaders with a CP of 2 + 2 for friendly models, meaning they still need to roll a 6+ for the Orc models to get back up.  Ombur has a CP of 5 + 2 for casting on friendly models, meaning you only need to roll a 3+ when casting Warcry with him (and possibly even less if you have boosted his CP).

Well worth the 15 points if employed in the correct situation.  Plus, having the Shaman cast it potentially frees up your Warlord or Captain to lay the beats on the opponent instead of 'Crying'.

Doesn't it say under the faction special ability that Reven leaders warcry with CP 4? I assume that with the +2 for casting on friendlys, thats an effective warcry of 6.

Default inherent spell Casting Power is +2 or the Model's CP, whichever is better. Casting on a Friendly Model is an additional +2. To roll for Warcry you need 6's or better wiht leader models.

This is written in the eratta and in the 2nd printing.

There was initially a lot of confusion because people thought in the initial description of Warcry at +4 that did not include the +2 Friendly Caster bonus.

Here is a list of the minis I currently have:

Reven: 11 Orc bull warriors, 6 Orc bull Archers, 6 orc Hunters, Varuag, Narg Bloodtusk, 4 goblin skeeters, Gurm, Ombur Skulltooth, Neek,Lurgh, Yagun Oog.

Elves: Norodel, Ardynn D'Narg, 3 Vale archers, 3 Vale Longthorns, 3 Vale breakers

I also have a couple of mercs (Eredain,Shad, and Kyla) and 3 crusader characters (Ironraven, Halabarad, Valandil and Marcus Gideon), Ymrilix from the overlords and I think that is it.  ::):

Ugluk,

That's more than enough Reven to have some fun. You can easily handle 1000 pointers. 1500 shouldn't be too difficult with some creativity and equipment.

I'd definitely recommend getting your hands on another Sgt - Kharg or Urga. Neek is nice and all for his Mob w/ the skeeters, but he's not a very tough fella and is a bit more pricey than the other 2 sarges, neither of which are unique as Neek is.

Keeping Ombur in a troop with some of your archers is a good idea - Bless is a great spell. Skeeters have a 24 inch range and +3 RAV. Use bless for that +4 and you've got one of the nastiest archers on the table. 4 Skeeters with their Marksmen can give you 8 shots. Buy another pack of them and add the 5th if you want to have some nice volleys at +4. The Bull Orc Archers are not a bad lot either. Splitting them into 2 different troops wouldn't hurt.

Make sure you use Great Magical Empowerment on Yagun Oog. That and some fireballs mean you can wipe out a lot of troops (Yag's CP would be +9) most grnuts have a MD of 10 or 11. If you can't roll a 1, 2 or better on a d10 you're in a lot of trouble.

Gurm and Lurgh are fairly nasty solos. Gurm is great too because he is fairly cheap. I would definitely recommend boosting his MD and DV since he is a large model and therefore not able to use a lot of terrain for cover. Lurgh, even if he doesn't kill someone, is great because he makes opposing player's paranoid about what you'll do to their casters/leaders. Both have warmaster too, so there's a good chance even if they get mobbed, they are taking some people with them.

Narg is a great capt, even if he is pricy (you're paying for that 3rd attack at +3). It's a tough call to use those vs a Warcry.

Send in a hunter against a big target fully enraged. Sure he is going to be killed in a Defensive Strike since you make his DV 1, but with 2 attacks at +6 MAV, you'll stand a really good chance of putting a lot of hurt on a big model. In a pinch, if things are going into the mass melee mode. You can do the same with your Bull Orc Archers. They have a Mov of 6, and MAV 1, you can boost this to a +5 with enrage, they will have DV 1, they are tough, so they might get right back up again. ^_^

Edited by ladystorm

Qwyk,

Thanks for the advice. I have yet to play, but I'm trying to drum up some excitement for the game here in the potato state aka Idaho. The more I hear about it the better it sounds. I had been playing alot of LOTR and I have painted up over 100 models for that game, but I have always loved the beefy reaper figs better (although plastic is easier on the wallet).

My rulebook is on order and I made sure to tell the store to get me a 2nd printing. Any more Reven tips would be appreciated. I was wondering your thoughts on the beastmen.

I submitted a few of the figs I painted to be put on the gallery yesterday and hopefully they will be posted soon. I JUST WANT MY RULEBOOK!!!!ARGH!! :grr:

Happy Hunting!!

It Ain't Easy Being Green: Reven Faction Discussion

That is a good place to start.

Beastmen are not bad. You are trading +1 MOV for a -1 MAV & DV and a trade of Breaker for Bloodlust/2 with the Bull Orc Warriors. I like using them in their own troop as a line breaker or reserve unit with Urga - that extra movement is helpful. I'm considering a small troop with a Musician and Standard bearer to help with b2b contact breaking and giving them 7 inches of movement plus charge so they can get in there and start causing havock in lines, then if they survive that round, breaking away and going to the next place. It's a suicide squad often, occupying troops until the big boys come to call, but they usually will take their fair share of points on the way out.

Breaker is great if you have archers in a troop. Bring your breakers in, kill off some guys in the front row, have them all shift away and leave a LOS corridor for your archers to fire down into the gullet at the bosses and casters in the rear.

... the bosses and casters in the rear.

What? Your leaders and elite types hide behind normal troops?!? NEVER!!! Mine lead by example. They charge into the fray and lead from the front. Like real men do! Yeah! Real men and stuff! ::P:

Wild Bill :blues:

Qwyk,

Thanks again. I do so like the beastmen figs. and using them as a suicide attack missle sound appealing. What do you know about the lesser orcs, has the stat issue been resloved? I think the figs look awesome, but will their inclusion in my force add a new dimension to it or do you think the beastmen are a better purchse (I of course will buy both eventually, but I'm a mini fanatic).

MY RULE BOOK DID NOT COME IN ARRRRRGHHH!!!! It was supposed to be here yesterday and didn't show up and then today....again a no show. How am I expected to conquer the Redstones without a rulebook?????? UPS/ ALLIANCE are making me angry.....you won't like me when I'm angry!!!!! *turns green* *realizes he was already green cause he is an Orc* *flops on to floor and has a temper tantrum* :grr::grr::grr:

So anyway I had money getting extremely warm in my pocket so I rid myself of it and at the suggestion of Qwyk I bought some more Skeeters (he used the force on me) and some beastmen. Its an old pack w/ beastman and champion so I didn't get the cool head for Urga, but thats ok. I am done throwing my fit and I do have a question: I was wondering how the Lesser Orcs fit into our tactical scheme ie do I wanna buy em now or wait???? (I want them now, but do I let my wife kill me or wait hmmmmmm) ::(:

I havn't really decided what I want to do with my Lesser Orc Warriors and how they are going to fit in, to be honest, point-for-point they really are inferior to the BUll Orcs. Still I don't think they are bad models, and since the looks of them really appeal to me I plan to base my army around them and the upcomming goblin releases.

I think that perhaps using 'Enraged' with the lesser orcs is the way to go, and then keep Ombur poised near by with a Warcry spell to stand them all back up.

The Spearmen however i do think are pretty decent, Reach + Trencher is good for supporting your mainline fighters, and god knows I hate using Hunters for that since it is a bit of a waste of their two attacks.

The Sgt and Captain are the other two models I've purchased, and to be honest I think they are pretty good. Gakalath has #MA 2, which is enough for me to choose him over Narg, and Kakurgh is the cheap Captain option that the Reven were lacking.

Thanks for the info exorcist!!!! I have another question since I am still ruleless/clueless :grr: What does trencher do?? :huh:

In the Defensive Strike phase, a trencher model, if he has the support of a model w/ Reach in base to base contact on the reaer side of its' base, gains the support bonus (+1) on the defensive strike. It's a very, very handy ability.

Kelcore thanks for the info...(my wife doesn't thank you cause I ordered some lesser orc spearmen in part due to the info u gave me, but alas I appreciate it!!). I was also wondering if you can buy bitz cause I would like to mix-n-match my orc heads a bit more and I really like the hunter heads and want more of em. And as an aside any one else have trouble gluing the bull shields on the mini. I had to furiously file the wrist bands down flat to get em to fit right. I am considering pinning those hands on. :angry:

Kelcore thanks for the info...(my wife doesn't thank you cause I ordered some lesser orc spearmen in part due to the info u gave me, but alas I appreciate it!!). I was also wondering if you can buy bitz cause I would like to mix-n-match my orc heads a bit more and I really like the hunter heads and want more of em. And as an aside any one else have trouble gluing the bull shields on the mini. I had to furiously file the wrist bands down flat to get em to fit right. I am considering pinning those hands on. :angry:

Anytime, Uglek! I'm here to help (and you could always try the "Honey, what'll it matter in a year or so?" argument with the wife as far as the pewter purchases go! :lol: ).

Speaking of help, you could always try the Boneyard for those orc heads. The Boneyard is located here. You clicky!

I would definatley recomend pinning the bull orc shields on. Not much of a join there...

Alrighty then I have a rulebook....finally (my friends are readin it)....but I have a question. Are the lesser orcs a sub species of orc, or are they bull orcs waitin to grow tusks. I really like the models I just want more fluff about them, anybody in the know???? :huh:

Lesser Orcs are what you get when a Half-orc breeds with other orcs. Sort of a 3/4 orc. Although there is more to it than that.

In all honesty, Bull-Orc blood thins fast, so any impure-blooded orc is automatically a lesser orc. Only an orc whose ancestry has never included anything other than other Bull-orcs is a Bull Orc. If you breed with a half-orc, you get a Lesser. If you breed a Bull with a Lesser, you get a Lesser. Because of this, Lesser Orcs are actually more numerous than Bull Orcs, to the extent that virtually everywhere else in Adon, all other Orc breeds are actually varieties of Lesser Orc, as the Bull Orc strain is almost exclusive to the purebloods among the Sula Ulus of Monglash.