Spike

"It's not easy being green"

well, your advantage as you put it is the time limit. There is not enough time in one hour to do more than advance on you...

Especially if you have 8 cards to keep each round alinve for a long while. Even if you play fast.

1000 points 7 to 8 cards in initiative deck

I get 903 assuming GAU on the ogres. Probably more equip and DF on Dantral?

With up to five leaders warcrying each turn, I am virtually assured ot recover most if not all of my fallen archers and since it's not the spell, I give up no vps.

Of course the real targets are the leaders, not the archers, as is the usual case when playing against Reven. Also even if nothing were dead, Dantral and the orges would have counted as lost at Dmg=2 with no way to repair them. They better have planned to hide all game...

On a side note, does anyone have any idea why Dantral is included in the Bull Orcs sub-faction? The fluff says he is with Kiakara.

Rich

I lost the original list, so I used this one and pointed things out. I think it's correct now. With the range of the Reven archers, the ferocity of the warriors, the number of tac cards, up to five leaders warcrying for any fallen archers and a 2 strike enraged model each activation, I am not seeing this force losing in timed battles. Any takers? ;)

Dantral Divine favor

9 Bull Archers

Kharg

Hunter

2Bull Orc Warriors

Kharg

Hunter

2Bull Orc Warriors

Kharg

Hunter

2Bull Orc warriors

Urga Beastman Sgt

Berserker

2Bull Orc Warriors

Gurm

magic armour -- Greater Magical Armour

Braug

Magic Armour--Improved Protection

996 points 7 to 8 cards in initiative deck

Well, after getting my butt beat using my friends Crusaders out of the Necropolis/Crusader box set, I just went nuts and bought a ton of Reven this Friday, thereby dooming myself to another huge round of painting.

As a new Reven player, I thought I'd ask the old salts if there is anything I should jump on in the purchase department, as I was fairly restricted in selection and ended up almost emptying the rack of Reven at my local game store.

I have the Reven starter box (and a rulebook, figured it might come in handy!) on order, so that's already on the way. I already bought the following:

Gakalath

Kakurgh

Greka (and boy is she pricey!)

Neek

Ogg

Braug

Lesser Orc Spearman (2 blisters)

Lesser Orc Warriors (2 blisters)

Goblin Skeeters (1 blister)

I'm 99% sure I want at least two blisters each of the Bull Orc Warriors and Archers, and 80% sure I'll want the Hunters too. As far as goblins go I'm thinking a couple of blisters of Warriors for cannon fodder and a unit of Beastriders (4 or 5, they'll be bought last as they are kind of pricey cash-wise).

I found an awesome female Ogre (02933: Female Ogre Shaman) model from Reaper I just have to use for something :)

So, what do you folks suggest?

PS: In my first 1500pt battle against the Necropolis, I proxied five each of the Bull Archers and Warriors with Galakath as their leader, fielded five each of the Lesser Warriors and Spearman as a unit with Omburr (he changed into Greeka, must have been in drag!), Kakurgh as their leader with a standard bearer/musician combo and had Braug as a shock troop on his own.

Apart from throwing away Braug learning that solos can die easily in this system, I kicked bony rump! It wasn't till I had to surround Elspeth Briarkiss (damn her sexy undead hide!) that I started taking major casualties, cause she kept standing in the pile of corpses, eating one then attacking. Funny, I always end up loving the greenies in a game!

How much do you have to spend?

You already have the starter box. I'd consider getting the deluxe starter box as well. You will get Kharg (excellent Tomukh Sgt), 9 Berzerkers, and the Faction book. The paints are essentially a freebie in the package.

Bull Orc Archers (2) - Best archers in the game. They don't need fancy Faction abilities like the elves to be effective. Oh yeah, only Archers with Tough/1 and they also have DV 9 and MAV 1. Let your opponent bring troops in to take them.

Lunk - He's DV 7 and only one track, but that's why they make Divine Favor. His CP 6 is no laughing matter. Mage 2/8.

Kakurgh - Looks like you're going to be building a Grand Reven list. He lacks the 3 attacks that Narg does, but saving 40 points and having a larger troop size is a very fair trade off in my opinion. If you plan on doing just Grand Reven, getting a second one of him isn't a bad idea.

Narg - He's expensive at 108, but brutally effective in combat. He should be a core melee component of any force.

Yagun Oog - CP 7, Tough/2, 3 tracks, DV 9, MAV 3. What's not to love? When he runs out of spells, he can beat the snot out of your opponents. Mage 3/10.

Bull Orc Hunters (2) - #MA 2, MAV 2, DV 9, Tough/1. Not as dangerous as the Berzerkers, but they won't die as easily.

Goblin Beastriders (4) - Not the deadliest of Cavalry, but they do their job. Also work very well as diversionary tactics or snagging an isolated model. Their lack of Tough is difficult since they cost 42 points. DV 9 isn't great, but you just want to be able to survive Archers, which their effective DV is 11.

Another Braug or River Troll are also not a bad idea. I have rarely had Braug not kill at least his points, and the few occasions where he has not, he has occupied enemy troops soooo much, especially their archers, that the points in models he saves is worth the 68 points. River Troll is just as effective, but only 2 tracks, so after one hit, keep a medic or he's almost useless.

How much do you have to spend?

You already have the starter box. I'd consider getting the deluxe starter box as well. You will get Kharg (excellent Tomukh Sgt), 9 Berzerkers, and the Faction book. The paints are essentially a freebie in the package.

Well I already have the faction book and a ton of paints, so I'm more likely to just buy some bezerkers...

Kakurgh - Looks like you're going to be building a Grand Reven list. He lacks the 3 attacks that Narg does, but saving 40 points and having a larger troop size is a very fair trade off in my opinion. If you plan on doing just Grand Reven, getting a second one of him isn't a bad idea.

And I wasn't going for any list in particular, I just cleaned out the available Reven on impulse :) And yeah I like Kakurgh, he did me proud my first battle. Although a Noghra force seems like it might be a fun sideline...

Glad to see the BO Archers and Warriors/Hunters are worth the buy, cause I really liked the figures and I'm going to play with Braugh again this week to see if I can keep him alive for more than zero attacks this time.

Spending wise, I can swing most of this in a couple of buys, but I'd rather go bang for buck than splurge on everything.

OK, here is the COMPLETE list of changes from the faction book to the new data cards:

Varaug The Great:

Drop 4 points from 245 to 241

Kiakara:

Gain 2 points from 149 to 151

+2 DIS on 3rd track

+1 DIS on 4th track

Dantral:

Gain 3 points from 92 to 95

+1 DIS on 3rd track

Ogg, Beastrider:

Gain 2 points from 63 to 65

Narg Bloodtusk:

Drop 4 points from 108 to 104

Kak'Urg:

Gain 3 points from 62 to 65

+1 DIS on 3rd track

Gakalath:

Gain 1 point from 41 to 42

Gaaguk:

Drop 4 points from 95 to 91

+1 DIS on 3rd track

Traeg:

Gain 1 point from 72 to 73

Skralla the Black:

Drop 2 points from 36 to 34

Change from Hero to Rogue

Gankorak:

Change from Hero to Rogue

Yagun Oog:

Drop 3 points from 66 to 63

Increase RNG from 9 to 12

Lunk, Goblin Mage:

Drop 2 points from 33 to 31

Gonda:

Drop 4 points from 31 to 29

Change from Mage to Cleric

Bull Orc Berzerkers:

Gain 1 point from 36 to 37

Goblin Rangers:

Drop 1 point from 26 to 25

Lurgh, Half-Orc Assassin:

Gain 1 point gtom 139 to 140

Gurm, Hunter:

Gain 5 points from 73 to 78

Change from Monster to Solitaire

Greka:

+1 DIS on 3rd track

Braug, Ogre:

Change from Monster to Solitaire

Hill Giant:

Drop 9 points from 264 to 255

Change from Solo to Monster

+1 DIS on 3rd track

+2 DIS on 4th track

+1 DIS on 5th track

-1 RAV on 4th track

-1 RAV on 5th track

Hunting Beast:

Gain 2 points from 174 to 176

Change from Solitaire to Monster

+1 DIS on 3rd track

+1 DIS on 4th track

For those of you who just can't wait for the official Reaper PDF, I have created one of the ver 1.2 datacards for Reven.

datacards_v1_2.pdf

DISCLAIMER!

IT'S EVER SO SLIGHTLY POSSIBLE I SNURKED UP SOMETHING IN MY LATE-NITE HURRY TO FINISH UP. SO IF YOU SEE ANY ERRORS, PM ME AND I WILL FIX THEM RIGHT AWAY.

Hmmm, the Reven did pretty well in the great update, though I'm now even less likely to field Gurm. I really like the sculpt for Gurm, but now that he's a full 10 points more expensive than Braug, Braug just seems like a much better buy. Looks like I'll have to pick up another Braug figure at some point...

Ron