I just don't want the book......I neeeeed the book!!!!! ::):

Ahhhh another convert success. ^_^

Continue to enjoy the Kool-Aid, dispensed for your refreshment. :ph34r:

I just don't want the book......I neeeeed the book!!!!! ::):

Ahhhh another convert success. ^_^

Continue to enjoy the Kool-Aid, dispensed for your refreshment. :ph34r:

:blink:

Qwyk has become the Jim Jones of the Reven

I'd like to have a look at that book, as well! I figured Reven might be a good choice for my army...

Jason, I'll make sure you get an autographed copy - you did such a fine job Translating my vague descriptions of teeming hordes into gorgeous greens!!

Ben too, if he wants, his stuff is wonderful, too!

Any idea if there are going to be more Leaders with the Mob SA.

In the Goblin sub-list, all leaders get Mob/# (or improve it if they already have it).

They have a GenCon-edition Reven book out, you know...

I'd like to have a look at that book, as well! I figured Reven might be a good choice for my army...

I'm taking a while to start my Reven cause I wanna do 'em justice... already got an inkling of a paint scheme started... but it's not fully thought out yet... it'll definitely be a little bit of a *different* skintone... but that's all I'll say...

Rgds,

Reven are taking over Western Sydney . :rolleyes:

Of the new kids I've gotten involved through demos , 3 are buying Reven Armies . ::D:

And talk about tough , we had a game today where Oombah got killed(stunned) , made his toughness roll , bandaged , killed , etc . 4 TIMES :blink:

That old song keeps ringing in my head " I get knocked down but I get up again , you're never going to keep me down ......." :lol::lol::lol:

He won the game for the Reven player .

Herr Brushmiester I mean Brushmaster ::D: That is awesome!!!!! First Sydney.....then the WORLD!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA *coughs* *hacks* ptooey.

Anyway look at the map of Taltos (if you haven't), there are reven axes all over. Its just so purdy.....*sniff*...brings a tear to my eye. ^_^

Okay, I had a chance to face the Hill Giant in combat for the first time Saturday night at Gen Con facing a friend of Ranz's. Sadly, it was a Reven on Reven affair, so no one truly won, although I was able to claim victory. Thanks to some phenomal late round luck with Tough checks (made about 16 in a row) and some wicked Defensive Strikes, many which were able to land when the attacking model missed. We were playing with the Core Rulebook default list rules. The Faction book will have changes to the Default Reven Faction special abilities.

But we're here to talk about the Hill Giant.

Neek killed the Hill Giant!!!

Well, he performed the CdG. The Bull Orc Archers killed the giant. Again and again. Damn clerics and leaders with Warcry and Tough/5. I literally hit the monster at least about 16 times before I could kill it.

So, without further ado... Thoughts on fighting with or against the Hill Giant

Recommendation #1. Keep clerics with Bandage handy.

Unfortunately, the Hill Giant has SA: Beast, so you can't give him Divine Favor, or Magical Armor/Weapons. That would be sweet. Bandages and cure will go a long way to keeping your big guy in the mix. He's a giant model, so there really is not going to be any issues with LOS to get him. Just keep a cleric w/in 18" and you're good to go. Life Transfer on your evil mages (Lunk, Greka and Neek) is also another good way to go. Kill an enemy model and heal your friends up. It's double the cost of Bandage, but you're basically doing an Ice Shard/Bandage combo at once. Like I mentioned in my above battle. I hit the Hill Giant with archers from all over the table. He's not useful lurking back and trying to avoid ranged combat because he can't avoid ranged combat.

Recommendation #2. Don't waste ANY time getting him into combat.

The Hill Giant is on a Giant base (barely fits actually). That's a base size 3. He's really not going tobe receiving ANY cover bonuses on the field. He's a huge target for the Archers and Spell casters, and there really is not going to be a whole heck of a lot of LOS issues to get him. Use Speed or Part to get him into the mix quicker. I'd Teleport him, but we lack a level 3 cleric at this time.

Recommendation #3. :ph34r: FEAR :ph34r: swing through :devil:

Swing Through is a nasty special ability. It's the melee version of Blow Through. If you are fighting the Hill Giant, don't line up all your models on one base side, spread them out. With swing through, you pick a starting model on any side of your base. Keep going in a straight line along that base side (no turning corners) and you get to make attacks against every model on that base side with the cumulative -1 penalty after the first model.

AABBCC

DHHHHE

DHHHHE

FHHHHG

FHHHHG

XXYYZZ

The 4x4 block of H is the Hill Giant's base.

AA is the Standard base of model A, BB is B, etc etc.

This is a maximized attack on the Hill Giant, getting every conceivable standard based model in b2b with the Hill Giant.

Swing Through = Start on A, Hit B with -1 MAV, Hit C with -2 MAV

OR

Swing through = Start on D, Hit F with -1 MAV.

This is one attack. Hill Giants get #2MA :devil:

To avoid getting creamed, don't line up all your models on one side of the Hill Giant, or try to engage him with larger base sized models to reduce the number of models you can hit.

If you are attacking with the Hill Giant, get as many models in b2b with you on a single side. The most you can get is three at a time on opposite sides. Swing through. If the models are still standing, Swing through again. to clear a single side :devil:

Recommendation #4 Lots of damage tracks, DV 12, MAV 8!!!

Don't be afraid to wade in and just go crazy with him. He's designed for killing.

Recommendation #5 You want a meat shield???

Think about this....

An enraged Hill Giant smashes through the woods, laying waste to everything before him. Trailing directly behind in his massive shadow is a gibbering hoarde of goblins and orcs seething for your blood, shielded by his massive frame from the threat of arrows and spells. As the Giant approaches your ranks, the hoarde explodes from behind, swarming your own line and moving around the sides of your own line. Goblins and Orcs are swarming on your sides, and looming before you is the Giant, his club raised and a snarl on his face. You're trapped. pray to your gods and hope you at least die valiantly.

An enraged Hill Giant smashes through the woods, laying waste to everything before him. Trailing directly behind in his massive shadow is a gibbering hoarde of goblins and orcs seething for your blood, shielded by his massive frame from the threat of arrows and spells. As the Giant approaches your ranks, the hoarde explodes from behind, swarming your own line and moving around the sides of your own line. Goblins and Orcs are swarming on your sides, and looming before you is the Giant, his club raised and a snarl on his face. You're trapped. pray to your gods and hope you at least die valiantly.

*sniff*

Oh, It's so beautiful! :wub:

I remember the first time I playtested with Hill Giant.

It was against Oberon's Necropolis, and I did what seemed to be the right thing at the time..started softening the Necros up with my skeeters, and when they began moving forward to take out my archers, moved the giant forward to plough into their main force.

Well... I slightly overestimated range and my charge fell a wee bitsh short. I ended up surrounded.. laid siege to if you will.

No problem, right? He's a toughie, right?

Well..he is..but sometimes the other guy just gets all the sweet dice-rolls.

So they got the poor guy and coup-de-graced him.

No problem, right? He gets a big fat swingback and should be able to take down at least one of the Ubers, right?

Well... count on me to roll rather poorly and miss the DS.

No problem, right? I had a mage waiting with fireball prepared to land right in the middle of where Hilly used to be and cook off his murderers. Right?

Um... well..... old Snake-Eyes reared his ugly head yet again.. mocking me.. yea scorning me.

To make a long story short....

siegeofgiant.jpg

I have a Gen Con copy of the Reven faction book and I must say, the goblin sub-list would be really nasty if there was at least one non-unique goblin leadership model.