Sign in to follow this  
Spike

"It's not easy being green"

Well, I lost my first battle due to a time limit. I had double the figs left, but about 100 less points, which sucked. But I did beat a long time nemesis which I have never defeated in one on one. He play crusaders and is an outstanding general (winning our previous tournament hands down). My archers took a hill and wrecked havoc, while Yagun unleashed his magickal fury. The small numbers of fighters I had even beat down their opponents. So, even though I didn't win the tourney, it was a good day. Thanks for all the advice, especially about not concentrating on the monsters and giving my archers some melee support. I did win a 2005 chrstmas sophie for coming in 3rd though. :grr:

Im new to Warlord and have been mucking around with the Goblin sublist for a while trying to work out a decent starter force. What I've come up with so far is....

Troop #1

15 Goblins w' standard and musician (250)

Troop #2

15 Goblins w' standard and musician (250)

Hill Giant (IIRC 265-ish)

Left overs...

couple of clerics and maybe a war altar with the last 235...

How do swarm tactics fare in Warlord ? Am I barking up the wrong tree here ?

How do swarm tactics fare in Warlord ? Am I barking up the wrong tree here ?

Swarm tactics are an incredible threat in Warlord. I've seen a lot of new players wade unsupported into melee with their hero or monster. They are obviously thinking the guy is going to be invincible like in some other game they played. They get educated real fast when a bunch of lowly grunts surround him and kill him quickly. Don't get me wrong, the high cost heroes and monsters have their place, but they are far from invulnerable.

Castlebuilder

Do you think it's worth dropping Neek and just using the upgraded basic goblins (do 10/1 and the mob bonus stack with them ?). I figure I could field about 50 Goblins and a war altar in 1000 points if I do..... heheh.

You could field 60 Noghra Warriors and a Totem of Battle if you used "You be the Leader, No you be the Leader" for exactly 1000 points :devil:

You could field 60 Noghra Warriors and a Totem of Battle if you used "You be the Leader, No you be the Leader" for exactly 1000 points :devil:

Not that we had a contest to find out just how many models you can field for a 1000 points or anything...

PS

Yeah, maximum models was actually 66, but then you wouldn't get the Totem. Although one of your Leader Goblins could have Divine Favor :lol:

Hordes n' Things was the original thread where it started.

I've actually fielded 45 Goblins plus a Totem of Battle (and won).

Don't forget to field a troop of Short Fang. You only get 10 because they don't have Mob, but their MAV 2 (3 with Totem) is sweet.

I was considering the Hill giant... as a missile magnet, backed up by a cleric or two with bandages, but the Idea of a horde is becoming more appealing now.

Shortfang Goblins are nice, but both the archer types and the wormbaits seem very expensive for Goblins.... In fact, a lot of the troops in the sublist cost quite a lot to field (on top of which reaper only make 3 Goblin warrior mini's, thats a lot of repetition in such an army, lol).

Yeah, the Archers hurt point cost wise but if you need some ranged attacks they are your only option other than spells.

I've never fielded the Wormbaits, but I have considered picking them up. Sometimes the situation will demand a model with Burrow. You could get away with only 3 if they were led by Neek, since it's just other Soldier models they can't be mixed with (although if they clarify "You be leader..." to needing only 4 models in a troop then you could just field 4 Wormbait).

Don't discount Hilly, he still fits in your Goblin list. I've used him effectively with Gonda and a Speed spell. 18" move and still able to attack!

Yes, a Goblin army can be a little repetitious, but they do come with 4 arm/weapon options. Short sword up, short sword down, long sword up, long sword down, axe up, axe down, mace up, mace down (getting them to stay in the middle is a little tricky) - x3 sculpts without having to do any custom weapon swaps...

Seperate hands, different sculpts or just bendy wrists ? lol. If they're seperate at least it will make standards and musicians easier to make....

I'll go to my local Reaper dealer some time next week and see what they have in.... Failing that, I'll be considering a hefty mail order :P, in weight as well as cash, heheh.

Separate arms actually (from the shoulder). 3 different sculpts waiting for the arms.

Yes, customization should be easy enough for the weapon hand at least (the shields are sculpted on)...

Quite uniform in pose too... Might have to break out the epoxy 2-part as well :)

Same problem arrises with Harpies - nice troops - only one sculpt. Very nice sculpt though.... Own fault for wanting a horde ;D

I would like to discuss a possible alternative for the orcs. While new to the game, I fielded the following 1000 point company:

Narg (with GMA) +

8 Bezerkers (with GMA and LMW)

Kharg +

6 Archers

Granted, the Bezerkers were very expensive (81 points each) but they tore through the 1000 pt. Crusader company I played against, like they were wet toilet paper. With Warcry, I only lost 1 Bezerker the entire game, while my opponent lost all of his (17 total). Needless to say, he was whining the entire time that my orcs were way too powerful.

Some of the advantages to this party are:

1. Bezerkers got 2 attacks each with a minimum MAV of 4.

2. Their DIS of 8 prevented the Crusaders from making effective use of "Mercy".

3. Their high discipline allowed my Archers to fire into melee without worrying about getting shaken tokens.

In all, the game was virtually over in 3 rounds...(long enough for my 'zerkers to get into melee.)

(Incidently, the 1 Bezerker I lost was due to him being "Mercied". I had to kill him myself the next round with my archers, or I wouldn't have lost any at all.)

Narg (with GMA) +

8 Bezerkers (with GMA and LMW)

Kharg +

6 Archers

Win or no win, this is a one trick pony of an army, easily countered by any well rounded force 9 times out of 10.

I keep saying it over and over again, but I'll say it again, going overboard on upgrades instantly puts you at a points disadvantage is never worthwhile when compared to investing the same amount of points in more bodies.

You have 390 points worth of upgrades, that could get you another 2 troops. Each of which would give you more warcries, and each of which would get you an additional opportunity to enrage.

Your Bezerkers cost over 80 points, you can get nearly 4 Fighters for that cost, which gives you 4 damage tracks, four MAV 3 attacks, and DV 10 for the same price as one of your models.