Sign in to follow this  
Spike

"It's not easy being green"

1: Gragg roasting a human female on a spittle.

Man, I knew that guy was tough, but I didn't realize his saliva was strong enough to support a person! ::D:

Hey,

Sorry this is kinda outta da bloo, but Im gonna be starting a Reven army in the next 4 weeks or so, and Im curious, do you think that the Reven box is a great place to start, or should I just by several blister packs with archers, etc.? Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!1!!!1 :blink:

Hey,

Sorry this is kinda outta da bloo, but Im gonna be starting a Reven army in the next 4 weeks or so, and Im curious, do you think that the Reven box is a great place to start, or should I just by several blister packs with archers, etc.? Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!1!!!1 :blink:

The reven box is a great place to start. Of course you could get a sergeant and one or two packs of archers and you've got your first 1000 point army.

It all depends on what you want from the army. If you want brute strength, start with the boxed set. If you want different models with a little more finesse, pick and choose. I personally started with the boxed set and loved it, I was beating opponents with sheer strength though, not a whole lot of tactics were involved. As I have progressed with the army, I have been buying different kinds of models to see what the army as a whole will do. If you start with the boxed set, I would stick to the Tomukh sublist and buy some archers, hunters and berserkers. If you don't I would start with some beastmen, maybe some beastriders or lesser orcs and still some archers. Be careful about people using magic users against you, they tear this army apart most times. That's where the finesse of beastriders and harpies comes in. So, there is no right or wrong way to start, but if you want the thrill of smashing opponents with not a lot of thought, go Tomukh (boxed set), if you want to be thinking of tactics a lot, go with the great reven(not boxed set). Either way, this is a well rounded army, and you should have fun with it. So sayeth the Dark Lord. :grr:

Whether you plan on a Tomukh list or a Grand Reven list, the box set is still a good way to start. You will likely make use of all the models in it for either list, depending on force size.

Definitely get the Faction book.

To supplement from there, really depends on what you are planning to build.

Irregardless for which list,

Pick up 2 blisters of Bull Orc Archer.

Pick up 2 blisters of Bull Orc Hunters.

Pick up 1 blister of Skeeters (just for the 2nd troop of archers)

Pick up Braug(s)

Pick up Yagun Oog.

From there, the issue becomes whether you want Bull Orcs of Lesser Orcs. If you're playing a Goblin list is really easy to figure out what you need.

Bull Orcs: Couple blisters of Berserkers. More Bull Orc Warriors. Kharg. Narg. Gaaguk. Gurm.

Lesser Orcs: Kakurgh, Goblin Beastriders (3), Ogg, 2 blisters each of Lesser Orc Spear and Warriors.

Honestly, the only models I almost never field are Beastmen Woodcutters. I'd rather go with the cheaper and tougher Bull Orc Warriors if I am fielding a Tomukh list. I'd rather field the much cheaper Lesser Orc Warriors for a Grand Reven. Since Cutters do not become Adept, I have considered tossing a few in to run with my Lesser Orcs as heavier hitters, just haven't had a chance to do so yet.

It's not a bad idea. You get 9 Zerkers and another Kharg, who is non-unique. Plus the paints and the book. This is great if you are intending to play a Tomukh list, or intend to field a lot of Berserkers in a Grand Reven list.

In my Grand Reven list, I seldom field more than 3-4 Zerkers in my Grand Reven lists until I get into the 2000 range. They are usually to supplement a melee troop. Their low DV makes me a little nervous for their cost.

It's not a bad idea. You get 9 Zerkers and another Kharg, who is non-unique. Plus the paints and the book. This is great if you are intending to play a Tomukh list, or intend to field a lot of Berserkers in a Grand Reven list.

In my Grand Reven list, I seldom field more than 3-4 Zerkers in my Grand Reven lists until I get into the 2000 range. They are usually to supplement a melee troop. Their low DV makes me a little nervous for their cost.

Im assuming that a Tomukh list is an alternate list for the Reven? Also, if you could tell me the difference between a Tomukh list and a Grand Reven list. ::): Thankyou!

Go read back a few pages :lol::poke:

Seriously,

Tomukh is the Bull Orc sublist. They get Enrage and Warcry. Most of the models in the core rulebook except the goblins are TOmukh, plus a few new ones.

Grand Reven is the new default list. New SA's. Mob Mentality several parts of it, Ridge Runner. You lose Enrage and Warcry. They are quite nice. I like playing it. Lots of flexibility.

The core rule book set is also pretty flexable. The grand reven is even more flaxable and you get more guys for the price of making all tomukh soldiers adepts.

And remember kiddies... you get TWO of each adept type when you play an army list at +2000 points.

THINK BIG!

Now...about Gragg as a totem...sounds good to me. :wub: :wub: But I would suggest a different one for Tomukh, seeing as how Gragg is a Gorulukh (Lesser orc.. though he's plenty enough orc for me!)

I need to post my Skull Throne I made at ReaperCon soon. I just need to pick an appropriate basing material.

I need a favor from you guys, yeah, yeah, I know, a dwarf asking for favors is like seeing the Trojan horse outside your walls. I need a 500 point list that I can use in demos. I'd like for it to have archers and a spellcaster if possible. Then I need a good 1000 point list to go up against dwarves for a friend of mine to use. Your help will be most appreciated.

First and most importantly, what models do you have available? Without knowing this any builds suggested can be pointless because we may be suggesting things you don't have.

For 500 points, you're not going to get much in a spell caster. Is this for an entry level Demo or more Advanced Demos? If it's a total beginner Demo, it might not be a bad idea to hold off on the spell casters for people completely new to the game and RAGE mechanics.

How many troops? I am presuming only one given the points. What is the composition of the other armies in your Demo so the build will not completely overrun the other troops? Are you using Core Rulebook models only? Do you have access to the Faction books and the new Special Abilities?

The same questions apply for your friend's list. There are also a number of 1000 and 1500 point builds floating around in this thread. Have you looked at any of those?