Sign in to follow this  
jrok72

Throwing XP away

/rant on

So here I am after installing XP for the 4th time in a month, I'm ready to switch to some other OS. I am asking for any suggestions as long as its not from the evil empire.

I even am going to so as far as to send a letter and my XP disk and stuff back to them.

Thank you in advance for the ideas

/rant off

<heck> I didn't even have to edit my words out for once.

Rant aside, what is wrong with your machine? If you want suggestions, let us know what is happening. Apart from the usual security holes, I am actually quite happy with XP. I use it on 3 machines at home as well as at work...

The first copy of XP Home Edition we had on our home PC worked flawlessly for oen month and then self-destructed. I mean it REALLY went belly-up. My net wouldn't run first of all, then something went haywire between the keypad and the monitor somewhere because the character-map was all messed up, and finally the blue-screen-of-death which XP is supposed to be immune from appeared.

I took my brand-new machine back to the folks we bought it from. They put on a different XP disk (same version, different disk) and it's been fine eversince.

I think sometimes the disk is just defective. Try getting it exchanged before you give up completely.

If it is home edition you are better off with proffesional. More stable less security holes. If you want to chuck the whole thing out go with red hat.

or just reformat install Win2000 Professional...been using it for years...and love it...no problems with games...and It's pretty stable...just don't use IE 6 or Outlook Express/Outlook with it or Spyware/Adware will eat it alive...(use Firefox and Thunderbird)

or just reformat install Win2000 Professional...been using it for years...and love it...no problems with games...and It's pretty stable...just don't use IE 6 or Outlook Express/Outlook with it or Spyware/Adware will eat it alive...(use Firefox and Thunderbird)

I agree completely with Rick... I use Win2k and really couldn't be happier.

*Nix is over-rated for normal home useage (great for servers and high security stuff), and Mac sucks terribly for gaming (well, so does *Nix).

Though, I use Opera, not Firefox :P

....I use Win2k and really couldn't be happier....

I do most of my home computing in SuSE Linux (was Red Hat, Nym, but they're getting out of the PC OS business--pity), but yeah, there are some things you just can't get done without Winders. My wife got us OEM copies of 2k, and set us up for dual-boot, so I'm covered.

This was much cheaper than XP, and doesn't have the associated security problems. I just don't see a need for a newer version, and would prefer not to make Microsoft much richer.

*Nix is over-rated for normal home useage (great for servers and high security stuff), and Mac sucks terribly for gaming (well, so does *Nix).

Not to start a religious war, but the Mac doesn't suck terribly for games. Sorry. I'm just really tired of this argument. I have WoW, Homeworld 2, and a variety of other A list games that all run well and are at least as much fun as their PC counterparts -- brobably more because I never have to worry about driver and conflicting versions of DirectX. Full disclosure: I review Mac game titles for a variety of outlets, and am well familiar with the range and variety of titles released or coming to the Mac. (I am also annoyed as heck at Microsoft's past performance with their OS in general and the company's future direction, but that is a different well-informed rant altogether.)

Granted, there are fewer titles -- unlikely I'll see HL2, for instance, and Doom III will be coming to OS X in a little while yet, but the Mac is stable, as cheap as any comparably configured PC, has a ton of consumer-oriented titles that are really cool, and OS X is as good an OS for the end-user that there is.

If you're really serious about gaming buy a console. :;):

Okay, that said, if you want to keep your PC hardware and rid yourself of the Microsoft monkey, I second Orsino's suggestion of SuSE Linux. Mandrake is also good for people who don't want to spend a lot of time being a gearhead. I set my brother up with Mandrake when he wanted some Linux exposure, and he was quite happy with it. (RedHat has no official free build anymore -- they've gone 99.9% enterprise, and Fedora (RedHat free) ain't that great for the home. RedHat peaked in usability for end users around release 7 in my opinion. 8 was okay, but has some issues -- even though that's what Reaper uses for the internal file server).

But again, I agree with Orsino, dual boot isn't a bad idea. There are a few things you'll find aren't ready for prime time in Linux, though it is perfectly capable for most uses: word processing, spreadsheets, web development, listening to your CDs and MP3s, internet stuff, video -- it all works just fine on any modern Linux distro. Want to run your games? Get a Windows partition. Photoshop? Windows. 3DMax, Rhino? Windows.

And of course, sometimes you have a botched install with Windows. If you got your computer from the store with XP preinstalled, you could have good luck backing off your personal data and redoing the OS. Whenever I get any system with an OS preinstall. It's not a pad practice. That you can be sure that everything you need was installed, and can have more control of the process from the start.

kit

But again, I agree with Orsino, dual boot isn't a bad idea. There are a few things you'll find aren't ready for prime time in Linux, though it is perfectly capable for most uses: word processing, spreadsheets, web development, listening to your CDs and MP3s, internet stuff, video -- it all works just fine on any modern Linux distro. Want to run your games? Get a Windows partition. Photoshop? Windows. 3DMax, Rhino? Windows.

And if you're really, really smart, you'll add yet another partition that is readable by both operating systems, and store your e-mail there. With an e-mail client installed in each OS, you're never isolated from that full functionality. I'm not that advanced yet, but my web mail access through Register works fairly well.

As it is, I'm only in Windows at home for two reasons: first our GM for our IRC games has scripted all the to-hit, to-damage, and other skill success rolls, and I don't even want to think about running a custom Linux Explorer plus his custom app in an emulator. Second, I do take the occasional digital picture, and haven't learned the GIMP yet.

Back to the topic at hand: jrok, is there a particular reason that you have to use XP? If you have a computer store nearby, you can probably get a rock-bottom OEM price on 2k if you also buy a three-dollar cable or something.

If you can get a copy windows 2000 is still stable and a fine platform (my personal favourite from Micro-crap)

I have used MACs and only object to the business model that only mac made hardware will work inside the machine (bad method)

So I will then say go to Linux Red Hat is a fine operating sstem looks and feels a lot like windows and I ahve read good review of Suse.

I haven't had much of a problem with XP, but I use the professional edition and not the home edition.

I have to second what Kit says about macs... Ever since OS X has been released, I've found it rather easy to make the "switch" and my weapon of choice as of late has been a 12" powerbook.

I've also played with Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

It's fun, and easy to set up - and is a great step into Linux. Also runs nicely on a PC or a PPC.

There also is "Lindows" which is part of the Linspire project - http://www.linspire.com/ - which is a unix core but feels like windows and again, is another nice step into the linux world.

Once you get comfortable with these and decide that is they way you want to go, then you can pick up something else that fits your needs better:

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Not to start a religious war, but the Mac doesn't suck terribly for games. Sorry. I'm just really tired of this argument. I have WoW, Homeworld 2, and a variety of other A list games that all run well and are at least as much fun as their PC counterparts -- brobably more because I never have to worry about driver and conflicting versions of DirectX. Full disclosure: I review Mac game titles for a variety of outlets, and am well familiar with the range and variety of titles released or coming to the Mac. (I am also annoyed as heck at Microsoft's past performance with their OS in general and the company's future direction, but that is a different well-informed rant altogether.)

Granted, there are fewer titles -- unlikely I'll see HL2, for instance, and Doom III will be coming to OS X in a little while yet, but the Mac is stable, as cheap as any comparably configured PC, has a ton of consumer-oriented titles that are really cool, and OS X is as good an OS for the end-user that there is.

If you're really serious about gaming buy a console. :;):

Okay, that said, if you want to keep your PC hardware and rid yourself of the Microsoft monkey, I second Orsino's suggestion of SuSE Linux. Mandrake is also good for people who don't want to spend a lot of time being a gearhead. I set my brother up with Mandrake when he wanted some Linux exposure, and he was quite happy with it. (RedHat has no official free build anymore -- they've gone 99.9% enterprise, and Fedora (RedHat free) ain't that great for the home. RedHat peaked in usability for end users around release 7 in my opinion. 8 was okay, but has some issues -- even though that's what Reaper uses for the internal file server).

And of course, sometimes you have a botched install with Windows. If you got your computer from the store with XP preinstalled, you could have good luck backing off your personal data and redoing the OS. Whenever I get any system with an OS preinstall. It's not a pad practice. That you can be sure that everything you need was installed, and can have more control of the process from the start.

kit

Perhaps I was abit harsh in my wording. You're right... gaming has gotten alot better for the Mac. The problem though, is generally the games come out for the PC first.

And as for consoles.. don't get me started on those ::P:

I'm a game developer, game player, and artist... the best platform to fit those needs is the PC.

Thanks for the advise. The problem is not booting after getting the run around from MS Support I just hung up and did the old format reinstall tap dance. At least I learned from the past and keep everything out of the boot partition.

I'm going to take a look at the Suse version of Linux, but the idea of having to dual boot is throwing a wrench in my plans, one I walk away I don't want any looking back.

I just wished I could go Mac, but this system is custom built and I don't know if I want to play around with it much longer. It just might be time to buy a new one, but I will spend the next 16 months moving alot so might just have to try to get everything back the way I like and just Ghost it for now.

I've given up on gaming for now, so no problems there. Again thanks for all the advise, got to finish fixing stuff and start learning what I can on Linux.