All-Terrain Monkey

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command

I think what actually ended up really slowing me down the most there Darthiir was that you set up a double wall of speed bumps. I was able to make a few breaks in your first wall, but wasn't able to get through in time to get at the blasted archers to keep them from picking me off one at a time.

I think the things I learned most from that encounter.

1. Hill Giant. Very effective archer magnet. Good for taking emphasis off the weenie guys for awhile.

2. Don't field test a group of Goblins w/o a lot of support for the first time against elves.

3. Goblins at MAV 0 vs Elven Warriors at MAV 1 is about the most pathetic hand to hand battle I've ever seen. We need to fight Pete as well so we have the pathos battle of Bondslaves vs Goblins vs Vale Warriors. ::D:

It would be interesting to see how tha same group faired against all the new Crusader cavalry.

The 4x blesses I am sure helps a bunch though.

Only big issue I see is that this group is model light overall. Normally I would say that elves are prime for having the totem as your strategy is defensive by nature, meaning that you rarely ever get far enough away from the totem to let the enemy get near it. But, in the case of this particular roster, looks like your main strength is still in providing those picket lines to hold the enemy up while the archers go to town. In which case, those 150 points is better spent on either a 3rd line of picket fence, or some good armor to make the fence you have last longer.

I think what actually ended up really slowing me down the most there Darthiir was that you set up a double wall of speed bumps. I was able to make a few breaks in your first wall, but wasn't able to get through in time to get at the blasted archers to keep them from picking me off one at a time.

I think the things I learned most from that encounter.

1. Hill Giant. Very effective archer magnet. Good for taking emphasis off the weenie guys for awhile.

2. Don't field test a group of Goblins w/o a lot of support for the first time against elves.

3. Goblins at MAV 0 vs Elven Warriors at MAV 1 is about the most pathetic hand to hand battle I've ever seen. We need to fight Pete as well so we have the pathos battle of Bondslaves vs Goblins vs Vale Warriors. ::D:

1. It seems your magnet was a little off, swithing its polarity just as the arrows got close. the first 20 shots only scored one hit and it wasnt till the warriors did a point or two of damage that the archers were effective against him.

2. yeah, i had the advantage with the qwyk/goblin beta test ::D:

3. not only do they all have poor mavs but their dvs arent much better :lol:

double speed bumps like those side streets in worcester where the snooty people dont want your driving fast :rolleyes:

I'd consider moving the archers to the troop with Selwyn and Nirodel and exchange at least one of those Bandages for a Bless. If your archers don't move you can drop 11 shots at RAV 4 into your opponent, which is a pretty potent barrage. Considering your Sure Shot SA, troops have to be very tightly packed in order to avoid models in the rear getting shot. If you go up to the 1000 or 1500 point, I'd consider swapping out Nirodel for Lysette or Ardynn and let your spell casting force people to decide between getting shredded by your archers, or staying nicely packed to avoid archers and getting nailed by AOE spells.

As you have it set up, you're spreading your ranged attacks through every troop, which is not a bad idea either, as it gives you more flexibility. I'm just presenting another option to consider.

Just curious why you're using Generic cards instead of the Elven army, since you're losing all the Elven Faction Special Abilities as a result.

I agree, stay away from the generics, a Sgt with 1 less movement is extremely minor, just field Meridh, and use the extra points you get to add another Archer to your second troop. Use the left over extra 5 points to buy a bless spell.

It is a solid force, but sticking with strictly Elven units lets you do cool things like shoot into hand-to-hand without your troops becoming shaken.

Leader models don't have to move/keep up with their troops. You can let Meridh just float around and take 30" pot shots at people. As long as they are within 18 inches of the other models, you don't have to worry abuot being out of cohesion.

Just use the slower Meridh. He's not a great shot, but 10's do always hit, you'll get lucky eventually. Even if he doesn't hit much in combat either ranged or b2b, he's allowing you to field a low cost troop with multiple extra models over the Vale Sgt Generic Card. You can add in at least one, possibly 2 more models for the point difference. With your elven warriors having only MAV 1. Every extra model for screening your archers or getting a support bonus helps.

Because you;re using generic cards in the mix, you're losing all the Elves advantages from their Faction Special Abilities: Sure Shot, Shadowy, Feathered Sky. Practice Makes Perfect. You're giving up the ability to fire into melee without needing to make discipline checks for your models in b2b, giving up a 1mm LOS corridor as opposed to the 1/2" that the rest of us use, using Light Woods as Heavy Woods for cover (+2 bonus to DV), and being able to volley with only 4 shots (as opposed to the rest of us that need 5 models) which can be accomplished with 2 models with Marksmen if they don't move.

Selwynn is just as good an archer as she is a melee warrior. You can use her to fire from a distance with the archers initially, and when you enemy closes, shift her into the front with the Vale Warrior meat shield to start fighting off the incoming troops in b2b. Then keep firing into melee using your elven faction abilities.

Just curious why you're using Generic cards instead of the Elven army, since you're losing all the Elven Faction Special Abilities as a result.

I agree, stay away from the generics, a Sgt with 1 less movement is extremely minor, just field Meridh, and use the extra points you get to add another Archer to your second troop. Use the left over extra 5 points to buy a bless spell.

It is a solid force, but sticking with strictly Elven units lets you do cool things like shoot into hand-to-hand without your troops becoming shaken.

:devil:

Yeh - this is my main source of teeth-grinding. There is no elven archery sergeant. Caerwynn can't actually lead anything, and Meridh doesn't really have anything of use as a marksman. He's a poor shot, has no abilities in it at all, and can't move as far. ::(:

I had thought of swapping the troops around, as you suggested, and use a "Meridh" to lead the hand-to-hand element, but this seemed a waste of the combat ability of the captain in such a small force. I really don't know what to do in this case. I'm thinking I'll give both options a shot on the day across a couple of games, but the lack of options in elven leader models is giving me trouble... :unsure:

Tommy. -_-

For the cost of your generic archery sgt, you can field Meridh AND another Vale Archer. That's a way better deal. Also, Meridh will easily keep up with your archers. Since he doesn't have Marksmen, he's more likely to gain a move on the archers, so he'll have plenty of movement.

Can you tell that Qwyk and I face 3 elf players in our regular league? <_<

PS

Can you tell that Qwyk and I face 3 elf players in our regular league? <_<

PS

I have 7 more battles against Darthiir for the final turn in the Campaign. :blink:

We decided to play the long way on the 6 x 4. Ended up taking us over 2 hours to play because we spent so long positioning ourselves. I got beat, and badly. Stupid Sure Shot. Just kept picking me off until by the time I finally marched the length of the table, 1/2 my troop was gone. The field was cover rich too, but that bloody 1 mm LOS corridor kept driving me up the wall.

Oh, and I have at least 2 against Lady Taryn, more if she decides to try and attack me too.

I'm sooooo sick of elves right now ::D:

:devil:

Yeh - this is my main source of teeth-grinding. There is no elven archery sergeant. Caerwynn can't actually lead anything, and Meridh doesn't really have anything of use as a marksman. He's a poor shot, has no abilities in it at all, and can't move as far. ::(:

I had thought of swapping the troops around, as you suggested, and use a "Meridh" to lead the hand-to-hand element, but this seemed a waste of the combat ability of the captain in such a small force. I really don't know what to do in this case. I'm thinking I'll give both options a shot on the day across a couple of games, but the lack of options in elven leader models is giving me trouble... :unsure:

Tommy. -_-

Meridh may not be a dedicated Archery Sgt. but she does have a ranged attack of 30 making her fairly useful, although I wouldn't include her in any volley shots she could still take an individual shot. And the extra attack or two (if you use Marksman) you get from taking another Vale Archer outwieghs taking the generic Archery Sgt.

Meridh may not be a dedicated Archery Sgt. but she does have a ranged attack of 30 making her fairly useful, although I wouldn't include her in any volley shots she could still take an individual shot. And the extra attack or two (if you use Marksman) you get from taking another Vale Archer outwieghs taking the generic Archery Sgt.

I'm certain "he" looks male in the mini I've got SE . He,he,he .... :lol::lol::lol:

* ( ducks and covers ) *

In the first printing, page 71 under "Sure Shot":

"If there is even the barest sliver of space at least 1mm wide in between Obstructions then Line of Sight is not Obstructed for Ranged Attack Purposes."