All-Terrain Monkey

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command

Thanks all. I can see I'm only beginning to scratch the surface of elf tactics.

CaptC -- I was trying to maximize numbers of boots on the ground. I was curious if sheer numbers could win games. Also, at 750 points, I am dubious about spending lots on magic. (Finally, in a bit of vanity, my Lysette isn't done, yet :rolleyes: ). The misjudge on range was a bad, but as Storminator gleamed from my post, I am a marksman addict. Something to work on. The board consensus seems to be to have 4 and 2 archers (under one command) which go nova when the enemy gets too close.

Storminator

If your warriors can't get to your archers in a single move, you'd best have a dang good reason for that.

Hmm, something to incorporate into the battle plan. Normally, I put them two moves out (except for that 14" thing), so that if an enemy manages to get free, he can't get into B2B with the archers in a single turn. Let me think about that.

I have to fit a mage in my next build - and finish her as well. In the first game, when I was facing archers, I used Shadowy quite a bit. The second time - against a pure melee army, I was using forest runner much more.

As a side note -- terrain won't slow down my regular opponent's cav at all - they're noncorporeal.

Darthiir - confirming that your build is ~1400 points?

I'm glad that I posted this -- not only have I gotten a huge number of points to ponder, but the conversation has lifted the elf discussion section out of the basement :lol:

Yes mine is a bigger point build, twice the size of your force. . .but the tactics are still the same.

For 750 you could bring

Selwyn (GMA) 133

2 longthorns 38 (musician +15) allows selwyn to use her trencher to full effect.

5 archers 220

meridh1 36

5 warriors 95

meridh2 36

5 warriors 95

centaur 58

which leaves 24pts for a standard for the archers or LMA for the centaur or . . .you get the idea.

use the warriors to screen and make sure you leave gaps when b2b happens...let your archers shoot into melee and the warriors can then provide coups without taking defensive strikes.

Yes mine is a bigger point build, twice the size of your force. . .but the tactics are still the same.

For 750 you could bring

Selwyn (GMA) 133

2 longthorns 38 (musician +15) allows selwyn to use her trencher to full effect.

5 archers 220

meridh1 36

5 warriors 95

meridh2 36

5 warriors 95

centaur 58

which leaves 24pts for a standard for the archers or LMA for the centaur or . . .you get the idea.

use the warriors to screen and make sure you leave gaps when b2b happens...let your archers shoot into melee and the warriors can then provide coups without taking defensive strikes.

Hmm -- I could see that army working. I'll try it, or something similar.

Here's a question - is Selwyn with GMA and 2 long thorns better than Selwyn and a totem of battle? Of course, our capt. is going to buy it much faster, and doesn't hit nearly as hard, but for nearly the same points, all my warrior against warrior defensive strikes hit 50% of the time (mav 1+1 against an 8).

Is it better to spread the joy, or make a special threat?

CaptC -- I was trying to maximize numbers of boots on the ground. I was curious if sheer numbers could win games. Also, at 750 points, I am dubious about spending lots on magic. (Finally, in a bit of vanity, my Lysette isn't done, yet :rolleyes: ). The misjudge on range was a bad, but as Storminator gleamed from my post, I am a marksman addict. Something to work on. The board consensus seems to be to have 4 and 2 archers (under one command) which go nova when the enemy gets too close.

OK, well, let's say this: I have a grand total of 6 Warlord games under my belt. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. Having said that, I have a little experience with other miniatures games (~200 games of Warhammer 40K and Fantasy over the last two years) and I've been playing military simulations of one sort or another for about 40 years, so I might have a little insight. ::):

My last game (sure, Darthiir, write up the wins only :poke:) showed that elven archery plus numbers can do the job without requiring magic. I just didn't believe it at the time of my earlier comment re: magic. Elf firepower is awesome, but Crypt Legion has a good answer: They aren't easy targets, and they refuse to stay dead. Zombies get an effective tough/4 with a dv 9, albeit it they are slow with a mov 4. I lead mine with twin Azarphans with greater magic armor, again tough/4, but dv 13 plus deflect! Very tough to put down - and Azarphan is NOT slow and can surprise you by bursting out of the pack. Backed up by a heavy duty Moandain with plenty of life transfers and necromantic surges, it takes a heap of killing to knock my army down. I knew where Darthiir set up the killing fields, I just didn't care - life is tough if you are a zombie. (Pun intended. :lol:)

Darthiir's primary change in tactics was to concentrate his fire on the central linchpin of my army: Moandain. Leaving Moandain's healing capabilities intact in earlier games, Darthiir had to kill most of my archers and Azarphans twice each, and that's a tall order. This time, he kept shooting at Moandain until he was down, and I promptly failed a plus-5 tough check. Making that tough check, I would have (hopefully) fully restored Moandain and 3 or 4 archers with a necromantic surge - and that game would have still been in doubt, as I had three life transfers left to heal up Azarphans.

The moral of today's note? Your army wins at range. Think very carefully about closing range to your enemy. But even more important, whether using magic or archery, your effectiveness at range depends upon shooting the right targets.

If your warriors can't get to your archers in a single move, you'd best have a dang good reason for that.

Hmm, something to incorporate into the battle plan. Normally, I put them two moves out (except for that 14" thing), so that if an enemy manages to get free, he can't get into B2B with the archers in a single turn. Let me think about that.

And you do that because you are (were!) addicted to Marksmen. If your archers stay and shoot, you want your warriors to get out in front. If your archers constantly shift away from the fight, you want your warriors to keep pulling back with them.

PS

And you do that because you are (were!) addicted to Marksmen. If your archers stay and shoot, you want your warriors to get out in front. If your archers constantly shift away from the fight, you want your warriors to keep pulling back with them.

PS

That's a nice way of saying if you opponent is getting mad/frustrated and is yelling accross the table for you to "Stand and fight like a man!", your playing the Elves the right way...... :poke:

Castlebuilder

LOL :lol:

I do like to have some melee in my games but I usually only do it if I am sue I will win it or if I really have to.

LOL :lol:

I do like to have some melee in my games but I usually only do it if I am sue I will win it or if I really have to.

I've been playing with different melee builds and haven't found a good one yet, then again i've been facing armies i haven't fought before.

Thanks again all,

So in short -

• Use the melee forces only as a stop gap - they aren't a levee (or levied, for that matter), but a rolling buffer
  • Set up a formation that is prepared to run in reverse
  • Have multiple archery teams within the troop
  • Use terrain features to give yourself extra space.

Hmm, any Star Fleet Battles players out there? This sounds like the ISC doing a Kauffman.

Hmm, any Star Fleet Battles players out there? This sounds like the ISC doing a Kauffman.

Sure, I've done the Kauffman. I never ran ISC, but Kauffman was a Star Fleet Admiral, and he designed it for Federation heavy cruisers.

Given their usual damage-resistance, I think elves are closer to NCLs running a retrograde.

Thanks again all,

So in short -

• Use the melee forces only as a stop gap - they aren't a levee (or levied, for that matter), but a rolling buffer
  • Set up a formation that is prepared to run in reverse
  • Have multiple archery teams within the troop
  • Use terrain features to give yourself extra space.

ISC here yeah, but I'm not playing Elves. Although last sunday I did a Kauffmann with my crossbowmen :).

PS. Rumours that Overlords are fleeing are untrue; we're advancing towards the rear.

Sure, I've done the Kauffman. I never ran ISC, but Kauffman was a Star Fleet Admiral, and he designed it for Federation heavy cruisers.

Given their usual damage-resistance, I think elves are closer to NCLs running a retrograde.

Hmm, I could see that. I was thinking how the warriors, with their short range of attack (that is, melee), were like ISC Frigates while the archers are like the capital ships. You had the frigates become move out and protect the capital ships in an echelon. This sounds not to far from the elfish tactical base.

Then you run the ISC in reverse to be truly elf like.

Hey,

Ive been reading up the past page of posts, and I must say... THANKYOU.

This has helped me so much in revising armies to maybe finally win a game! I havent one yet, but I need to keep my chin up, because Ive only played 3 games anyway.

Thanks again, I love this forum, it makes Warlord an amazing game that stands out from alot of others.

>: D

Lord of the Leaves