All-Terrain Monkey

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command

Firestorm won't remove Crypt Legion models with Dark Energy from the field. They ALWAYS get that damned Tough/1 check. There is nothing you can do to avoid it. :grr: Firestorm will just avoid the models with Tough/4 on their card from getting a Tough/5 check (w/ DE), and being forced to make the Tough/1 DE only check.

Oh, I know they still have the chance to get up, it's just more to my liking when their cooked extra-crispy! :lol:

*cooking geek mode*

I think that would be a mistake... ribs taste best when they've been cooked slow and low. Firestorm is just going to sear the meat, and not let the connective tissue and fat render. Perhaps the Elf Faction book will include "smoke" as a spell. Mossbeard might lend some wood to give the Crypt Legion a good hickory flavor.

Hmm, do the people at Reaper do beef or pork, primarily, when they talk barbecue? I'm assuming that barbecued undead is not often done outside of Taltos.

*/cooking geek mode*

:upside:

On Friday, in lieu of my regular GURPs session, I got to play most of a game of Warlord. This is hugely exciting for me, as my last game was documented on a previous page of this thread, and was around March. I faced the Crypt Legion Horde again - and nearly completely ceded initiative against his 5 action cards. Our armies:

Elves

The exceptional force

Selwyn - Devine Favor

Elf Warriors X2

Elf Breaker

Longthorns X2

Warriors X3

The archer force

Merdh

Archers X4

Warriors X3

Breaker

Musician

The base force

Merdth

Warriors X4

Breaker

Totem of Battle

I know that warriors are a better deal than breakers, but MAV4 two-handed swords are cool.

Them:

Azaphan

5 warriors

2 breakers

4 units of:

Railor

4 Warriors

2 Breakers

The 4x4 board was laid out like a 5 sided die, with the central pip being a ruin of impassible, LOS blocking terrain, and the outer 4 pips being heavy forests of two CD size.

His deployment, on the east, had Azaphan in the middle of two flights of warriors. He basically filled his deployment area.

My deployment had the archers in the center, with the base force to the north and the exceptional force to the north.

I forgot my rangers moves.

Enemy Advancing

I double stacked my melee groups, with the base force in front of the exceptional force. My archer group shifted to the north (turn one) and used a volley attack (turn 2) to hit Azaphan's group, killing two warriors. It was the only way to hit the enemy, who was hiding behind terrain. My opponent was miffed to miss his DE tough roles. The idea here was to generally pull the enemy north, giving me a corner in which to escape. Pulling to the north worked, and he had some confusion in the ranks as he brought Azaphan and two Railor groups up, with another two units behind.

Elves Fleeing

I fled my archers to the south, in between my two warrior groups. My opponent has not choice to hit the base fighters. Due to the Totem of Battle, I fare significantly better in combat than he. I was spread out so as to avoid he having support during his attack. I suppose he could have double-teamed my warriors, leaving other warriors alone. Luckily, he attacked 1:1, where I had a significant advantage (He needs an 8 to hit me, I need a 6 to hit him)

Throughout this, Merdh-1 and 2 are plinking Railors, and the archers are doing some damage.

Elves caught

My mundane force managed to kill most of one of the Railor groups prior to Azaphan hitting them. They were then slaughtered to an ear. The cost to the opposing force, though, was considerable. He was done to two models in his Railor Group, and 3 in his Azaphan group. So far, he is taking 2 loses to every one of mine, and Azaphan has lost his first wound to a swing-back.

Elves running

The archers and the exceptional force continued to pull away, in good order, using the south-west woods to advantage. I set up a new skirmish line to the south-east.

He kills my Totem. I left it unguarded in order to escape. This slows one Railor force down by two turns, or so, and at least 12 inches behind the combat.

Through luck of the draw, he effectively got a double march against my archer unit. I miscalculated the distance (by the two inches of a charge bonus), and he gets one warrior in base to base with my archers. When it is my activation, I have my supporting warriors move and attack this warrior. He goes down. My opponent made a tactical error by swinging back at my breaker, and not an archer. My archers are free to double move, and clear the scrum.

Archers move closer to the woods, and fire 3 times into Azaphan, stunning him. A warrior moves in to CoD, leaving only the DE check, which fails

At this point, we called the game on time. We started late, and it was getting later yet. I think that I was in much better shape than he -- he was down to the same number of models as I, I still had my archers, captain and both sergeants all unwounded. He had two Railors, with a decent number of supporting warriors and Breakers. I had lost 4-5 Warriors and 2 Breakers.

I think he would have been better off, given the model advantage, just running down my throat in a zone offense. If he had split the board into 4 lanes, with a Railor led group running down each, with Azaphan playing free safety, the game would have played very differently.

I guess the breakers in each group were just there for some extra melee punch and besides your opponent could only make defensive strikes on models that attacked his model (if I remember correctly) so if he did make a defensive strike on your archer it would be your fault not his. Anyway it seems you have a pretty good idea about fighting as elves. My advice would be to drop the breakers in favor of more warriors to protect your archers.

and besides your opponent could only make defensive strikes on models that attacked his model (if I remember correctly)

incorrect. A model can make defensive strikes against anyone in valid front b2b contact (unless you have 360 in which case can make a defesnsive strike against anyone in b2b contact).

I guess the breakers in each group were just there for some extra melee punch and besides your opponent could only make defensive strikes on models that attacked his model (if I remember correctly) so if he did make a defensive strike on your archer it would be your fault not his. Anyway it seems you have a pretty good idea about fighting as elves. My advice would be to drop the breakers in favor of more warriors to protect your archers.

I fully agree that warriors are a better buy than breakers in the Elvish army. That said, I plan to keep breakers in anything that isn't a tourney build for character reasons. Perhaps more than any other army, I feel as if the elves should be thought of as a militia - a group of volunteers going war. As such, the weapon mix should not be uniformly sword and board. I'll put more long thorns in my standard troops as well, once they are painted.

I took the chance that the archer might die in combat, but it seemed better than trying to break combat and running away.

I fully agree that warriors are a better buy than breakers in the Elvish army. That said, I plan to keep breakers in anything that isn't a tourney build for character reasons. Perhaps more than any other army, I feel as if the elves should be thought of as a militia - a group of volunteers going war. As such, the weapon mix should not be uniformly sword and board. I'll put more long thorns in my standard troops as well, once they are painted.

I took the chance that the archer might die in combat, but it seemed better than trying to break combat and running away.

Ravenwolf's been putting his third model against a corner, which means his model has b2b, but the defender doesn't. Then he can't be defensive striked. Something to try for the breakers, which have a lot of dish-out, and very little take-it.

PS

You can Defensive Strike an attacking model that has their flat side on your corner. You just can't attack them back when you activate.

As long as the Attacking Model is in valid base to base contact with the Defending Model, they can be a target of a Defensive Strike.

You can Defensive Strike an attacking model that has their flat side on your corner. You just can't attack them back when you activate.

As long as the Attacking Model is in valid base to base contact with the Defending Model, they can be a target of a Defensive Strike.

Please reference this, I'd like to know where it came from, because if it is true it is very important.

Please reference this, I'd like to know where it came from, because if it is true it is very important.

I don't think it's true. It's certainly not how I would read page 62, section f.

PS

That's because that section of text was errata'd back in the first printing.

From First & Second printing errata and clarifications on Warlord HQ:

Melee Combat:

E) When models on Super bases attack, having any portion of its base against any portion of the target's base counts as Valid Base Contact.

E) Page 62, How To Resolve Close Combat, step F: remove "valid front side" from the paragraph. Defenders may strike back against a model touching any corner or any non-rear side.

Remember, Gus brought this up last year after Reaper Con.

Oh yeah, my bad, in my earlier post, I neglected to include, unless the attacker is on a defender's rear base side and defender lacks 360.

God I have to get ambitious and incorporate that erratta into the FAQ. I acutallu thought about looking there to see if it was where you were referencing but I got lazy.

It does get rid of a dumb loophole.

Thanks

That's because that section of text was errata'd back in the first printing.

From First & Second printing errata and clarifications on Warlord HQ:

Melee Combat:

E) When models on Super bases attack, having any portion of its base against any portion of the target's base counts as Valid Base Contact.

E) Page 62, How To Resolve Close Combat, step F: remove "valid front side" from the paragraph. Defenders may strike back against a model touching any corner or any non-rear side.

Thanks, Qwyk. That's good to know. Like Storm said, I've been using the corners to keep certain Models alive, by making them immnue to Defensive Strikes. Guess, I won't be doing that anymore :devil::lol:

I'm thinking of doing 2 armies when I start playing warlord. Hopefully I can start in August/September. One army will be Razig's Revenge, and I think I may use Elves as the 2nd army.

Here is the prelimanary list for the Elf army

1 boxed set

1 Arnise, Half-elf Warrior

1 Lysette Sorceress

1 Ardynn D'Narg

1 Giant Eagle

3 Centaur archers

3 boxes Vale Archers

1 Caerwynn

1 Mossbeard

3 boxes Vale Longthorns

3 boxes Vale Breakers

3 boxes Elf Deathseekers

1 Selwyn, Vale Sergeant

1 Meridh, Elven Sergeant

Are there any more models I should add, maybe more centaurs, do I need another box of archers? Are ther any models I should take off of the list?

What's good, and what tactics should I possibly use?

Thanks much,

Brian

I'm thinking of doing 2 armies when I start playing warlord. Hopefully I can start in August/September. One army will be Razig's Revenge, and I think I may use Elves as the 2nd army.

Here is the prelimanary list for the Elf army

1 boxed set

1 Arnise, Half-elf Warrior

1 Lysette Sorceress

1 Ardynn D'Narg

1 Giant Eagle

3 Centaur archers

3 boxes Vale Archers

1 Caerwynn

1 Mossbeard

3 boxes Vale Longthorns

3 boxes Vale Breakers

3 boxes Elf Deathseekers

1 Selwyn, Vale Sergeant

1 Meridh, Elven Sergeant

Are there any more models I should add, maybe more centaurs, do I need another box of archers? Are ther any models I should take off of the list?

Thanks much,

Brian

While that will certainly cover everything that you'd be likely to need in a game, I might be a bit more selective in my initial purchase. For example, while I love Caerwynn, the model, I just have a hard time justifying paying the 200+ points for her.

Also, I like the other grunts and adepts of the elves, but would bulk out warriors before maxing out breakers or death seekers. I'd also hold off on the third centaur until you decided that the 8 legs were not enough.

Finally, Meridh is the backbone of the army. He may not be flashy, he may not be great, but I'm not sure if there's another sarge in the game that provides a decent ranged attack for under 40 points. I'd have at least two (or three) in any build of the army. Of course, with the named characters you're purchasing, you can always proxy.

If I were doing this again, my purchases would probably look something like this (in rough order)

Boxed set

2 cards of archers

Meridth x2

Selwyn

Longthorns X1

At thsi point, you're quite playable, with six archers, and 12 melee fighters, 4 leaders and a mage.

From there:

Elite of choice (probably Nirondel)

Centaur x2

Deathseekers x1

Breakers x1

Warrios x1

Mossbeard

Other elite (Ardyn. I'd probably not get Caerwynn for a while - either for roleplaying or for completeness)

After that, I'd know what I was missing in my army (perhaps you find that you love Deathseeker's huge shock value, or that you need more grunts)

I would have to say Nirondel. I have enough elves for a small game but he really can hold his own and then some. I know it was a fluke more than anything but I've had him kill half a dwarven army by himself. With a ranged attack and the ability to heal he can stay around to annoy for rounds after most others have died.