Sign in to follow this  
All-Terrain Monkey

Ceynuundra Aelvari - Elven High Command

I don't have the book yet, and planned to buy 2 armies in bulk to play. I am buying the entire Razig's revenge army list with the possible exception being the chain gang.

I failed to see any plain Warriors in the store front, what do you mean by "maxing out the other grunts before the Breakers or Deathseekers"?

Is the Giant Eagle worth 25.00?

I like to play shooty armies, what should i use for a 1500-2000 point game?

Thanks

Models I dont use (but do own)

Ardynn

Mossbeard

giant eagle

Caerwynn

breakers

these are all IMHO too expensive or not skilled at what they do.

I don't have the book yet, and planned to buy 2 armies in bulk to play. I am buying the entire Razig's revenge army list with the possible exception being the chain gang.

I failed to see any plain Warriors in the store front, what do you mean by "maxing out the other grunts before the Breakers or Deathseekers"?

Is the Giant Eagle worth 25.00?

I like to play shooty armies, what should i use for a 1500-2000 point game?

Thanks

The giant eagle is worth $25 - as a model. It is a beautiful piece o' pewter. That said, I'm not sure if it's really that effective a game piece.

It is rarely the case when you want a full component of Deathseekers - a squad of 9 plus a leader. It is often much more efficient to have a few Deathseekers mixed in with your warriors. The Warriors provide protection to the DS, and the DS run around the combat to kill what the warriors have engaged.

Breakers are somewhat similar in their use -- if people use them at all. I like them, mostly to mix up the troops in my army. Like the Deathseekers, they are very fragile, and must be protected.

The Elven army has a number of glass hammers, it seems.

To put the discussion about warriors another way, you'll probably want your 15th warrior long before you'll want your 7th Deathseeker or Breaker. I believe some other participants on the board would say that you'd want the 18th warrior before your fourth DS or Breaker.

I have to admit to playing smaller games - my largest is 1000. My help for 2000 points is suspect. Earlier in the forum there are discussions of some larger forces, though

I might just end up picking up 5 other boxed sets in addition to Razig's Revenge, so a bunch of friends could play some smaller games with me.

Don't know yet though.....

Hi,

I've started playing Warlord lately and I'm having pretty good success with my Elf force.

1 Selwyn (Captain) leading 9 Vale Archers

1 Meridh (Sergeant) leading 3 Breakers, 3 Warriors and 3 Longthorns

1 Mossbeard

The archers pretty much sit back and shoot twice (18 shots!) while Mossbeard (supported by the melee elves) sweeps around side. Mossbeard is an absolute hammer but needs to be protected from gang-ups. I try to get one warrior, one breaker and one longthorn (in support) per enemy model. This has been a good army (3-0) so far but I haven't faced any cavalry.

I suppose I could switch around the Captain and the Sergeant, but it bugs me that the Meridh model doesn't have a bow. I may switch some things around when the army book comes out, but currently is there any reason to take smaller units? Other than to have more initiative cards? The archer unit needs to be as big as possible, I think. Looking for advice, thanks.

You might benefit from splitting the archers into two units. More initiative cards, and if they go consecutively, you can shoot past models you downed with the last round.

Hi, Lukash. Sounds like you've had pretty good success so far with that army, which is honestly a bit surprising considering its composition. One of the Elves' strengths is their archers, but you have a high ratio of archers to melee soldiers in your army. Usually, having so few melee models means that elf player gets a round or two to shoot at his opponent but then gets his army chopped up once his opponenet closes for melee. But I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. ::):

Vil-Hatarn had a good suggestion about splitting the archers into two troops... but unfortunately, since archers are adepts, you can only have two troops that contain them once you hit the 2,000 point mark.

A question about your comment on Meridh: Are you saying that you don't like the way the model is sculpted -- that is, he has a ranged attack but is not sculpted with a bow? Or did you not realize that Meridh has a ranged attack?

It would probably be good if you could split your melee soldiers into two troops by adding another Meridh. Without adding spells & equipment, your current list adds up to 973 points. You could drop a soldier and use the additional points to buy a second Meridh and perhaps a piece of equipmnet or a spell for Mossbeard. Besides the additional initiative card, you would also get another ranged attack with Meridh #2.

Hi and thanks,

I meant I would like the Meridh model to have a bow on his back or something. I'm hoping an archer specific sgt will come out in the book. To make up my extra points I give Mossbeard a bandage spell...its handy. I don't have to use it very often so maybe its points wasted?

The archers work very well in one big unit. I have to basically kill an enemy unit on each of the first two turns (maybe 3 if the initiative works for me). They are going to be crushed after that...or at least engaged by the enemy. I really take advantage of their '1mm gap' rule by placing them in a staggered formation that can volley fire if needed. My main opponent runs 4 or 5 small units, and they just can't stand against one round of concentrated fire. I can see how splitting them into two small units would be a good idea, but I have some hope that I'll get to use the SA Elf Volley rule someday. So far using this many archers has been wonderful.

I think a cav heavy army would really chew me up tho...or a horde army.

I think a cav heavy army would really chew me up tho...or a horde army.

Just for discussion's sake, here's the Crypt Legion army I'd expect to fight with 1002 points:

Azaphan

4 Warriors

3 Breakers

Railor

4 Warriors

3 Breakers

Railor

4 Warriors

3 Breakers

Railor

4 Warriors

3 Breakers

Sir Gadrun

3 Deathknights

Banshee

Either that, or 4 railors, no Death knights, and two Banshees (some alterations in the troops to make the points work out).

While I'm very happy to hear of the elvish wins, I don't believe that a company that small could really hold off a horde of 45 dark energy sustained models.

Also, just because you have 1 big unit of Archers doesn't mean they can't be grouped into 2 or 3 or 4 seperate groups, even if they activate ont he same card they can be spread all over the board. 18 inch coherency is huge, and who really cares about coherency (unless you are facing Mounted models, and then you have to think about 'Shock').

Also, just because you have 1 big unit of Archers doesn't mean they can't be grouped into 2 or 3 or 4 seperate groups, even if they activate ont he same card they can be spread all over the board. 18 inch coherency is huge, and who really cares about coherency (unless you are facing Mounted models, and then you have to think about 'Shock').

And honestly, it's not like Elven Archers tend to survive a Cavalry charge, Shock or otherwise.

And honestly, it's not like Elven Archers tend to survive a Cavalry charge, Shock or otherwise.

Archers prolly wouldn't but Death Seekers can take out the whole Cavalry troop, just ask Lawgiver. Didnt mean to jump in and 'jack' but it was a prime opportunity.

Prophet

Vale Archer have a Dis 4, giving them a 50% chance of Failing against Shock, which in turn would drop their DV down to 5. That's pretty poopy odds of surviving. Every little bit helps.

Yeah, but DV 7 against MAV 2 or 3 doesn't lend itself to high rates of survival either. With a MAV 2, you're looking at a 60% chance of death. If Cavalry are already making it into base to base with your archers. Shock is the least of your concerns.

Of course that's why:

RULE #1a for playing Elves. Don't overload your armies with too many archers. Less actually is frequently more, since you can bring more speed bumps and models to harry and slow your opponent.

RULE #1b for playing Elves. Make defensive lines with you Vale Warriors. Dying to slow down charges and allowing your Archers more time to run or fire into melee is what they are designed for.

I don't know about rule 1a. Once I've played more games I'll have a better feel for it. Right now I don't see how 18 shots per turn can be a bad thing. :) Its proven to be pretty darn effective, so far...