Sign in to follow this  
smittenkitten

Desperate times, desperate measures.

The other day, fellow former 'mateybob' and I went to our FLGS and asked them when they were getting the book and the guy gave me some tragic story about how there were only 4 warlord rulebooks in all of Australia! ::o: Today we were bumming around filing my latest batch of Reaper minis when I decided it was high time to call the Australian reaper distributors and find out just when we'll get the book and how much they reckon it'll retail for.

Best. Move. Ever.

The distributors were guarded at first regarding the availability but after they heard how desperate I was and how badly I wanted to put my mitts all over the book, they made a call and found The Last Warlord Rulebook Left In Australia :lol::bday::blush: ! I was so excited! I just had to have it.

The problem? - The retailer was on the other side of Sydney, the shops close at 5pm and it was already 3pm! Mateybob and I were at Central and the retailer was all the way out in Penrith (refer to map).

sydney.jpg

And so, we embarked on this journey against time to get the Last Warlord Rulebook in Australia. It was hectic - but we made it despite the 2 hrs between us and the rulebook's location. And now that I'm here pashing the book from cover to cover, I look back on the events of the day and I feel like a huge lamer for being so dedicated :lol: .

kudos to smittenkitten for calling the distributer... now i get to read the book while she studies for exams ^_^

unfortunately train fares for that kind of distance are rather expensive... :down:

Sometimes we forget just how good we have it here in America, where it is possible to just drive to your FLGS and find a copy of the Warlord rulebook.

Of course, you probably get a better deal on Lindeman's, Peter Lehmann and Penfold's products in their country of origin, and I spend a lot more each year on shiraz than I have on playing Warlord.

Hey, after all that, right...don't forget the beautiful thing. You live in freaking Australia!!!!! I saw that map and how close you are to the beach! I'll trade you my Warlord book for your spot on the sand okay? It's all relative. Sure, I've got a FLGS with a rack full of 'em here in the states...but the closest beach is a 3 hour drive.

Seriously though, great story...glad you made it in time. Nice to hear that slice of life.

You live in freaking Australia!!!!!  I saw that map and how close you are to the beach!  I'll trade you my Warlord book for your spot on the sand okay?  It's all relative.  Sure, I've got a FLGS with a rack full of 'em here in the states...but the closest beach is a 3 hour drive.

IIRC, and it has been a couple of years (OK, working on decades) since I lived in Sydney, there isn't much sand on the "beach" there. More like rocks.

And once you get into the water, prepare to be stung by the masses of jellyfish... ::o:

And dedication is always good smitten, don't feel lame. Well, at least get over it by trouncing mateybob in a game of Warlord... :;):

Sand, rocks, jellyfish...it all beats the concrete and broken glass of the inner city. I'll take it anyday! OT but I've been stung by a Portuguese Man O'War once in Hawaii...that was about the worst possible pain I can imagine. It felt like a hot rusty knife dipped in acid ripping through my leg. If the ocean there has jellyfish, I wouldn't go in, but it's still nice to walk along the coast during the sunset...a great way to relieve the stresses of the day.

After you get stung a few hundred times you begin to become immune to jellyfish, or so I have heard. OK, I made it up.

I want to visit Australia and New Zealand, but I want to move to Central Europe. I dig all the ruins and history we don't have here in the US. The darned Native Americans were nomadic and didn't build enough cool architecture:(

Well I live exactly 600KM west of those guys but now I know what suburb they're in, I'll just drive on over and cruise the streets at 3AM listening for the tell-tale rattling of dice....

"Oh, hi, yeah, I'm, ah, smokingwreckage. Does smittenkitten or mateybob live here? NO wait! Don't call the police! I just wanna look at your Warlord!"

:blink:

listening for the tell-tale rattling of dice....

nah just listen for the sound of a girl screaming things like "THAT DOESNT COUNT! I DROPPED THE DICE BY ACCIDENT!", "I DID NOT MOVE EVERYTHING AROUND WHILE YOU WERENT LOOKING!" and "WHERE IN THE RULES DOES IT SAY JUDAS GETS A LASER GUN!?" ::P:

IIRC, and it has been a couple of years (OK, working on decades) since I lived in Sydney, there isn't much sand on the "beach" there. More like rocks.

And once you get into the water, prepare to be stung by the masses of jellyfish... ::o:

And dedication is always good smitten, don't feel lame. Well, at least get over it by trouncing mateybob in a game of Warlord... :;):

Whereabouts were you staying? I haven't been to any 'rocky' beaches in Sydney yet (perhaps my definition of rocky is different)...Although there are a few beaches I'd rather avoid due to garbage issues :angry: . I haven't been stung by jellyfish yet although I am aware of their presence in summer. It just all comes down to what beach you go to.

I do forget how lucky I am to live in a country with a coastline sometimes...haha Poor, poor central American states.

Digital M@: I know exactly how you feel regarding ancient architecture. Just about the only thing that exists of the Indigenous locals are caves with cave paintings of kangaroos :p Not exactly 'thrilling' imo. Give me castle ruins, temples and pyramids any day.

Smockingwreckage: I don't actually live near Central...I just happened to be out there on the day! Ner, ner...Now you'll have a killer time trying to locate where I'm playing.

Whereabouts were you staying? I haven't been to any 'rocky' beaches in Sydney yet (perhaps my definition of rocky is different)...

We lived in a suburb south of Sydney. I can't remember the name right now.

We were told by the people we were living with that the beaches were all rocky, so we didn't go out of our way to get to one. The shoreline I saw seemed to back that up. Maybe we just didn't know the right places to go. Maybe they ship in sand now? I know there are parts of Florida (surprisingly enough) that import their sand.

We did see a very small beach (about the size of a football/soccer field) when we took a cruise though. When we asked why nobody was swimming (since it was packed on land and nobody was in the water), we were told about the jellyfish. Sure enough, looking overboard, the water was full of jellyfish.