Excel for armies

jajbarton

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I made a simple excel sheet. I just cut and past onto a plain word document then type in any extras and spells and edit accordingly. I still have to do the math manually but it works pretty well. What I like about it is each grunt gets its' own row so that in the (very unlikely ::P: ) event that it gets killed I just pencil him/her out.

Cheers!

I'm using Excel. I have it set up with the first two columns are for running total. I put in the troop/model/magical spell/magical item/ect. and its point cost. Off to the side I have all my leaders, solos, and elites in there own set of boxes. Here I put the miniature's point cost along with a list of all upgrades and the upgrade costs. After those I have my troops. Here I list what each squad is made up of and note any force upgrades here. I enter all point totals into my running total and see what it comes up too. My younger brother made stat cards in excel but I don't remember what they look like so I will get to everyone on those.

Again, Stuart and I have a spec document for RAGE-Builder, the Warlord/CAV2/Etc successor for the CAV-RC program.

Any feature requests you may have, please e-mail or PM them to me ASAP.

No, we don't need testers yet, all we have is a spec. We don't even have a user interface, as far as I know.

I was planning on using Army Builder, but the current data files have some problems. I'll probably create an Excel sheet for them in the next couple weeks, and use that for now.

What problems do the current files have? Can you outline them for me so I can do something about it :-)

If it's related to the way the files actually work (selecting leaders and adding grunts etc...) then you might be happy to know this is all fixed in AB v3.0

Not that I'm pushing AB on anyone, it's just that I spent a lot of time on the files and if no-one uses them because they're no good, I'd like to know so I can change them so they are useful :-)

Cheers,

Russell.

What problems do the current files have?

1. The stat abbreviations match the beta rather than the final (ie MM = Mov)

2. Leader damage tracks are shown at the end of the troop rather than after the first DT.

Not a problem, but if you added a Special Ability description as a summary at the end (where it lists each SA used in the roster), that would rock!

What problems do the current files have?

1. The stat abbreviations match the beta rather than the final (ie MM = Mov)

2. Leader damage tracks are shown at the end of the troop rather than after the first DT.

Not a problem, but if you added a Special Ability description as a summary at the end (where it lists each SA used in the roster), that would rock!

1. Hmm... that's something I'd meant to do since getting hold of my rulebook.. I've fixed it for the AB v3.0 files but that's no help to you all - yet :unsure:

I'll fix that in the update for the Necropolis errata...

2. I was sure I'd fixed this previously, but obviously I hadn't. I've now fixed this so that the Leader Dmg Tracks appear under the leader correctly (Unfortunately, the special abilities list sits between the first and second DT in the printout, but I can't do anything about that - until AB v3.0 anyway ::): )

As for the SA text... Thats a question for the guys from Reaper...

Reaper people, Any problems with me including special ability descriptions in the Army Builder files?

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming...

Cheers,

Russell

On my current copy, my Skeletal Archers have 2 damage tracks. While might like that, I doubt my opponents would.

(I know that the cost of almost all the Necropolis figs is incorrect as well, per the errata from a couple days ago.)

That's because of problem #2 identified above in the post by abngi - it should be fixed in v 1.5 of the files so the Leaders Tracks appear under the Leader where they should be...

v1.5 of the files also includes the cost updates in the recent errata...

Cheers,

Russell.

Rjsoz - First off, thanks for putting the time and effort into the AB files. Many times this kind of effort goes unsung.

One thing that I noticed was that as a Merc. You could not select a different Faction as the "Change of Heart" faction rule. I could do it in version 1.01 but not after that. If I want to use this special ability I currently have to use the Freelancer force list.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Dogboy

One thing that I noticed was that as a Merc. You could not select a different Faction as the "Change of Heart" faction rule. I could do it in version 1.01 but not after that. If I want to use this special ability I currently have to use the Freelancer force list.

Good point - I'll look into that and see what I can do...

Thanks,

Russell.