CAV 2 Beta

Ok, this thread is going to be for things i see as I go thru the booklet.

Obviously the main objective is to ask questions...

But will also try to point out typos, bad grammar (yeah like i know gooder english than anybody), and re-word suggestions...

I am gonna be typing these as I go thru it, so it very well could be that I could ask a question on page 4 that gets answered when i get to page 40 or something. I will edit as I go if that happens.

This may not be the best way to go about it, but it works for me at the moment, since the file was a pdf and i cant add my notes directly in there...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok right off the bat.. the section related to conversion from metric system, is just worded confusing...

Think it would make more sense if you go from the point of view of converting other metric to standard instead of the other way around.

On page 3 you use the word "true" too much in a 3 paragraph range...

true aircraft twice

true transport once

Opinion - No Manly infantry grunt is gonna want to be known as "the queen of the anything..."

But, I like the idea that until specific sculpts can be created for them, that the varied number of infantry models per base can help set the difference between infantry and special units.

ok, this will probably get answered as I continue to read, but have transports (both full transports and the gunship/transports) completely changed in how many infantry they can carry?

I am used to having it as the full transports can carry 3 standard, 1 hvy, or 1 mortar. And the gunship transports can carry 1 standard.

But, the numbers you have listed with both the mechanized infantry, Flight, and close fire support platoons, don't match up...

Another item that will probably get answered as I read but i am making notes as I go for my benefit.

I see the two main bodies of the Coalition and the Alliance, with the three factions each.

At this point it doesnt say anything about at which level of play you get to use SAs. Do they kick in if I keep units faction specific, UCOR specific, or can i share amongst the Coalition or Alliance members and still get the SA as long as I dont use a model from the other government?

And then the organiztion suggestion... Maybe its just me, but I think it would fit better together, from a fluff and organiztional point of view, if you start with the Governments and factions, and worked down to the Task Forces, Platoons, and models, instead of the other way around... But, I could be wrong.. I guess I just work better from a top-down design thought process.

I think the shaken, suppressed, etc.. is great, and is sure to have a huge effect on the game.

Except the section on RETREAT is not worded well. The result of retreat is easy to understand, but the wording on how it comes about needs more clarification..

the whole section on resolving combat actions is just not clear. Needs more in depth example. The example given with Susan's platoon only gives one possible outcome... and even then it reads like an incomplete thought.

My example (using the given example as a base):

I have an armored platoon of Dictators going against an armored platoon of Warlords.

Just like the example, My Dictators A and B currently do not have LOS to the targets.

Is it possible that with action phase 1:

Dictators C and D fire at the enemy while A and B move to a point where they can see.

Now with phase 2 of my turn:

Dictators C and D move to behind cover while A and B fire at the enemy.

The example given in the reading makes it sound like this combination is not possible, with the way it reads.

Organizational suggestion: with all prior sections, if you listed a list of items, you went thru and described each one before going on to the next section.

But, with Combat actions, you give a quick description and with the example i mentioned above, and then go straight into "movement" and going away from the rest of the list of Combat action items..

rewording request on the section related to dismounting infantry from transports and the rolls necessary. Needs more clarification as you introduce "rally" yet have not mentioned it yet in the book.

Same with the damaged transport section and the need to make a toughness check...

Same with the section on "Instants". It just kinda jumps in and starts talking about Instants but never explains what they are to begin with..

I like the idea of regroup as it helps reverse the effects of the "all alone". But, how close together do units have to be together to do a Regroup? Do infantry have to be closer to gether than CAVs to accomplish it?

Question on SCAN FOR TARGET...

If I am reading this correctly, even if I have LOS to an enemy, I still cant tell how far away that enemy is unless I do a scan?

Is this saying that I have to scan before i can fire at someone?

Or let me rephrase that...,

is this saying that I have to make my decision in terms of what enemy to fire at, based on my my own visual guess of which enemy is closer or whatever, and cant measure the actual range until after the shot is fired to determine the range modifiers. (unless of course I did the pre-scan)

Ex. I have a dictator and there are two Ghosts at roughly 45 degreee angles to either side of me. Both Ghosts look to be roughly somewhere between 20-26 inches away from my visual perspective. Normally, I would then measure the distance to each and make my decision on which one to fire at based on those measurements (and any other factors involved).

Are you saying in my example above, that I would have to choose which of those two Ghosts to fire at without the benefit of the measurements, unless I had the extra action phase available to carry out the scan?

I think its great the idea of giving infantry some of these defensive bonuses at range. and cant wait to test it out. especially with stealth and ditches with cover, then scan for fire, and boy infantry immediately get a little bit more powerful..

How long does the effect of a scan last?